Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM

289 posts, read 896,878 times

Advertisements

There were two stories today on NPR about the lack of access that many Chicago residents have to fresh meats and vegetables. One detailed the end-around that gas stations, dollar stores and liquor stores pull in order to accept food stamps. Federal food stamp program fails some low-income Chicagoans | WBEZ . The second story was about a longtime resident of a 3000-household community where the last grocery store moved seven years ago.

Most households need a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk every week. How about packaging those items along with beef, chicken, pork or fish and selling them out the back of a truck? Figure out all costs and price each box so that it yields $2 profit. Drive to the middle of the food desert, sell 600 per day and that's some money. Only accept food stamps so that there's no cash. Two people could pull this off and that's just one truck in one community.

I know I pretty much described Peapod's business plan. It would not take much to get started. Try a van full of boxes and then move to larger vehicles until it's determined how much can be sold in one day. Done and done.

Now here's the part where the City-Data naysayers explain why it won't work. Post away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times
How about people from these "food deserts" do it themselves. No wait, they can't do anything on their own. They sit and wait for everything to be done for them. I gladly welcome to be proven wrong of course.

Spread the word to these communities Amos and see if they can do it themselves.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,561 times
I imagine the hilarity that ensues as a truck full of food (manned by only two people) rolls up in Englewood. How long would it take to get robbed?

And you presume that people want to eat those basic staples. I think there is a reason there are jj fish stores abound.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I imagine the hilarity that ensues as a truck full of food (manned by only two people) rolls up in Englewood. How long would it take to get robbed?

And you presume that people want to eat those basic staples. I think there is a reason there are jj fish stores abound.
Both people would have to be armed and also have a third person to guard the truck itself.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,390,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
How about people from these "food deserts" do it themselves. No wait, they can't do anything on their own. They sit and wait for everything to be done for them. I gladly welcome to be proven wrong of course.

Good luck.
You do know that everyone from these communities aren't on welfare right? Seems to be what your getting at. Not to make excuses for a class of people but the playing field aint equal for everyone--black, white, yellow, brown some people just need a helping hand.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
You do know that everyone from these communities aren't on welfare right? Seems to be what your getting at. Not to make excuses for a class of people but the playing field aint equal for everyone--black, white, yellow, brown some people just need a helping hand.
Don't turn this into a racial debate thread. I said nothing about race.

Heck, the playing field is not even amongst people of the same color.

So your point is what?

There have been more than a few non-profits and companies like Peapod that have lent a hand.

When and where do you draw the line?

This is the age of information. If people can't figure things out by doing research,networking,etc. on the computer, they are doomed.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,361 times
Default I wonder what conspiracy theory will be spun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post

Good luck.
Just proven wrong.

The North Lawndale Greening Committee Annual Garden Tour: Tour Chicago's West Side Gardens on the North Lawndale Greening Committee Annual garden Tour - Chicago Garden

Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 PM

I know about these places.

I was asking to be proven wrong that the communities themselves can't do what Amos proposed.

So, communities come on and prove me wrong. DIY.

In a year or two there should no longer be any whining about "food deserts."

Old 11-23-2010, 08:05 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
The solution is to curb the gang violence. If the violence was down people, including dominicks, jewel, whoever would open up in their neighborhoods. There are too many robberies, and the food truck would probably also get robbed. Even if they close the liquor stores down for catering to food stamps. There is nothing stopping people from selling their cards for cash. I have shopped in "sketch" hoods on many occasions and on many occasions there are people there out with their card willing to sell it for cash. It also addressed being able to shop at farmers markets for fresh food for food stamps. Do the poorest of the poor, REALLY need to be shopping farmers markets? Do you think they actually know the difference between an organic carrot from wisconsin and sustainably grown apple cider? Wouldn't the money for the programs be better spent on conventional produce instead of farmers markets? Farmers markets certainly aren't cheap, they are more expensive than even whole foods.
Look I work with these kids and meet parents from the "hood", the problem isn't getting them food, the problem is the violence. Any of these elaborate ideas about getting them fresh food is just beating around the giant elephant in the room. Where are all these liberal do gooders protesting in the street when somebody get shot? Nah they'd rather sit in their office downtown scheming up ideas and plug it on NPR.

Last edited by grapico; 11-23-2010 at 08:16 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmosBanks View Post
Most households need a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk every week. How about packaging those items along with beef, chicken, pork or fish and selling them out the back of a truck? Figure out all costs and price each box so that it yields $2 profit. Drive to the middle of the food desert, sell 600 per day and that's some money. Only accept food stamps so that there's no cash. Two people could pull this off and that's just one truck in one community.
Interesting idea...I have not lived in any of the areas you are discussing, but I have a cousin that grew up in one. One issue he told me about is that many households in the poorer areas are not interested in preparing their own foods, therefore raw meat and vegies end up being a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago