Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:35 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times

Advertisements

As a transplant, living in the city, I don't think you need a car. I have one now but I share it, it's my gf's and she wanted to keep it. I brought one before when I was living closer to downtown and ended up getting rid of it as it was just a hassle and I never used it. If you are from the suburbs or have family in the suburbs or going to be traveling around the metro a lot, then you'd probably want a car.
I haven't left the city limits except into Evanston area since August. That is just me though, your results might differ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,760 times
I've been carless in Chicago my whole life, and here's what I'd suggest:

--Move to a dense North Side or downtown neighborhood.
--Get a Chicago Plus CTA card that automatically recharges from your bank account (and in an amount that gives you a bonus...$20 I think gets you $21 or $22 in rides)
--Get a granny cart for walking
--Get a bike basket for your bike

More and more people in Chicago do these things (and more) and find that their quality of life without a car is vastly improved...healthier, more money, less stress, more time, etc.

For more tips, LCP also publishes a book "Carless in Chicago" that you can find at your local library.

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeclaremontpress View Post
More and more people in Chicago do these things (and more) and find that their quality of life without a car is vastly improved...healthier, more money, less stress, more time, etc.

Owning a car doesn't keep me from walking or riding my bicycle. And my car allows me to enjoy the entire city. And it gives me more time not less; I went down to 79th and Cicero the other day and it was much quicker using the car then taking the Midway L and then the Cicero bus.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Grannycarts??????? really?????? I guess they make sense, but can't we give them a better name? maybe something like food scooters or bread wagons?

And what's the next hip, retro, urban trend gonna be? Are babushkas and galoshes about to make a comeback too??

Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
You bring up some good points, and so does Tom.

A car, in essense, is a luxury. Though, one could argue that is necessary to take them from their far flung suburbs to wherever their place of employment is.

But, for those of us that live and work in the city (and nearby CTA served burbs) it is simply more convenient to have an automobile. However, some will choose convenience over the associated costs- someone like IrishTom, for example.

I do know for sure that if I had no car, I would save:

$260 a month on car payments
$200 a month on gasoline.
$80 a month on car insurance
$75 a year on city stickers
??$ a year on car maintainence. I just had to replace my radiator, which was costly. I estimate I spend maybe $3-400 per year on maintainence.

all of this versus $86 a month for an unlimited monthly CTA pass. And, I own a bicycle, so during the warmer months I can cycle to work 5 days a week, negating some need for a CTA pass.

$86 x 12 months = $1,032 per year.

Right now with my car - $3120 for car payments, $2400 a year in car gasoline, 960 a year in car insurance = $6480 before I even add in car maintainence and anything to do with city fees. That's a huge, huge difference.

So basically, it comes down to whether or not the convenience of having a car is worth around $5500 per year to you. Obviously, it could be more, or it could be less depending on whether or not you have a car payment, or if your insurance is more expensive.

As for me, because I'm stuck with a car payment, it sucks. I would gladly put an extra 5K back in my pocket.

Quote:
I've been carless in Chicago my whole life, and here's what I'd suggest:

--Move to a dense North Side or downtown neighborhood.
--Get a Chicago Plus CTA card that automatically recharges from your bank account (and in an amount that gives you a bonus...$20 I think gets you $21 or $22 in rides)
--Get a granny cart for walking
--Get a bike basket for your bike

For more tips, LCP also publishes a book "Carless in Chicago" that you can find at your local library.

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 AM

67 posts, read 182,478 times
Quote:
My GF lives in Edgewater without a car. Most times she chides me because I am trying to park it somewhere and gas is expensive, etc....

Yet, I'm the first person she vents to when she has to lug home groceries via the El and on foot, or has to go to a different part of Chicago on public transit, especially at night (when I can't be there with the car).

Living without a car has its benefits, but it's not for everyone.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post

A car, in essense, is a luxury. Though, one could argue that is necessary to take them from their far flung suburbs to wherever their place of employment is.

But, for those of us that live and work in the city (and nearby CTA served burbs) it is simply more convenient to have an automobile. However, some will choose convenience over the associated costs- someone like IrishTom, for example.

??$ a year on car maintainence. I just had to replace my radiator, which was costly. I estimate I spend maybe $3-400 per year on maintainence.

all of this versus $86 a month for an unlimited monthly CTA pass. And, I own a bicycle, so during the warmer months I can cycle to work 5 days a week, negating some need for a CTA pass.

Right now with my car - $3120 for car payments, $2400 a year in car gasoline, 960 a year in car insurance = $6480 before I even add in car maintainence and anything to do with city fees. That's a huge, huge difference.

So basically, it comes down to whether or not the convenience of having a car is worth around $5500 per year to you. Obviously, it could be more, or it could be less depending on whether or not you have a car payment, or if your insurance is more expensive.

As for me, because I'm stuck with a car payment, it sucks. I would gladly put an extra 5K back in my pocket.
You missed parking off of there.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
You missed parking off of there.
That is true. I suppose one could factor in parking in garages and assorted lots downtown, or even parking in your home neighborhood.

I probably spend about $100 every year for parking in downtown garages for dinners or events.

parking tickets, on the other hand.

I'm at $240 for fiscal year 2010.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:53 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post

I wish that I had a $260 a month car payment. My car insurance is almost $260 per month.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:14 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Are babushkas and galoshes about to make a comeback too??
They already have. You are like 5 years behind the times. That's what Schaumburg does to you. It shields you from hipsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago