Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,617 times

Advertisements

I am currently researching areas fairly close to downtown Chicago to possibly buy a home for around $160,000. I currently live out in the western suburbs and, although I grew up in the Beverly area back 35 years ago, I am now pretty unfamiliar with any of those areas near Chicago. However, I would like to move back out that way and I wonder if anyone could give me advice about safety, surrounding areas being safe, and proximity in minutes to visit downtown Chicago. Safety is a key issue. I have been pretty insulated out here in the western suburbs as far as crime, but I really want to be close to the lake again. Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
It would be easier if you found a place for that price and posted it here. Then you can get a yes or no.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,077,914 times
By "home" I assume you mean a condo?

Old 01-02-2011, 05:30 PM

439 posts, read 954,669 times
Probably doable in Northwest Indiana.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:45 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Probably doable in Northwest Indiana.
haha

Your going to be more specific. Are you fine with a studio, how close is close, ect...?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdash View Post
I am currently researching areas fairly close to downtown Chicago to possibly buy a home for around $160,000. I currently live out in the western suburbs and, although I grew up in the Beverly area back 35 years ago, I am now pretty unfamiliar with any of those areas near Chicago. However, I would like to move back out that way and I wonder if anyone could give me advice about safety, surrounding areas being safe, and proximity in minutes to visit downtown Chicago. Safety is a key issue. I have been pretty insulated out here in the western suburbs as far as crime, but I really want to be close to the lake again. Thanks for the advice!
As others have hinted at, you really need to provide a lot more information if you want useful answers:

Single family home or condo?
How many bedrooms?
If condo, have you figured in the cost of the assessments to your affordability equation?
Will you be wanting to drive most places?
How close is "fairly close"?
What part of downtown do you want to be near?

Without knowing any of those things, you could check out Berwyn.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 PM

422 posts, read 813,059 times
You are not very clear on what qualifies as close to downtown. If you take the entire city of Chicago into account and depending on what kind of housing and how big you are expecting than $160K is doable. In particular East Side and Hegewisch along the Indiana border that someone already alluded to. Also given the depressed housing market you might find some smaller and older but livable houses on the southwest side including perhaps in or near Beverly. Also the Garfield Ridge area around Midway and up the Archer Avenue corridor to Bridgeport you might find some good deals. Although Bridgeport is getting a bit more expensive there is a big disparity between brand new housing which is expensive and older housing where some real good deals can be found, perhaps even in your price range, I mention Bridgeport because it is close to downtown and relatively affordable, its roughly the same distance from the Loop as Lincoln Park but the real estate is often half or less costly. If you are just looking for a condo you can probably find something cheap in East Pilsen or the Near West Side for that price, look everywhere, cheap houses and condos can be blocks away or even across the street from luxury condo buildings and houses.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,917 times
There are plenty of 1 bed and some 2 bed condos for sale around $89,000-$160,000 (Loop, near north, near south, near west, lincoln park, lake view) just get on Realtor.com and take a look. I know this because, I am a broker owner of a real estate company in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago