Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times

Advertisements

Now that they are conducting random searches of passengers bags in New York, Boston and DC, and the TSA is staking out Metra stations (Transportation Security Administration to begin Metra patrols (http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/utility_landing/newsroom/newsroom_archive/06_30_09_tsa.html - broken link) ), I'm sure it's only a matter of when, and not if, random searches begin on the CTA and/or Metra. I'm wondering how much outrage there will be on this inconvenience and violation of our 4th amendment rights.

For those in favor of this, a well reasoned argument would be nice. "If you don't like it, you can walk" is not terribly constructive. Also, gushing about how at least they are doing something for or safety is naive at best. A guy with a bomb in his backpack isn't going to see a security checkpoint and say "Curses, I've been foiled!" They are going to detonate at the checkpoint, go to another bus or train station, or return later. Also keep in mind, London and Madrid have both had bombings on their trains not that long ago. Neither city conducts random searches of people entering the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
The article is from almost two years ago. Nowhere in the article does it state TSA will or has done random searches on Metra,Pace,or CTA.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
I never said it did. I just said they are patrolling Metra, and random searches are being implemented in a growing number of cities, most recently DC, late last year. I think you can put the two together and draw a reasonable conclusion. I would like to see some outrage over this now, and not after the fact. They're getting closer.

TSA checking IndyGo passengers - 13 WTHR

Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I never said it did. I just said they are patrolling Metra, and random searches are being implemented in a growing number of cities, most recently DC, late last year. I think you can put the two together and draw a reasonable conclusion. I would like to see some outrage over this now, and not after the fact. They're getting closer.

TSA checking IndyGo passengers - 13 WTHR
Of course it is unacceptable, but we can't do a darned thing to stop it. Heck, I am sure 75% of the people are against the full body scans at airports. Many have complained about it. Did it do any good? Nope.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,653 times
I think stories like this are funny, but not for the reason you might think. There's no VIPR Team (though I'm sure some stupid looking shirts or patches with a snake on it had to be made. Lol). This is all smoke and mirrors. There's no money anywhere in anyones budget. I'm sure the TSA just hopped on to try to preserve their budget. There's no way in hell Air Marshalls will be walking the platforms either. They barely have enough to put on planes. A lot have quit the Air Marshalls once they discovered the job sucks and then went back to their old PD's or Agencies. No added security is coming to CTA or Pace. These agencies are broke, this security won't come free, and there won't be any Fed programs to pay for it. Plus most Law Enf Agencies can't afford to have their people striped to work in a special detail like this because they don't have the bodies. This is all a "feel good you will be protected" story, when in fact this is all window dressing. Don't worry, the Jack Booted Thugs aren't coming to look into your lunch bag as you ride the bus. First off, no outside Federal security agency gives a crap about some local city buses, second, there's no budget to purchase the required tall black boots.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,685 times
The only issue I have with the CTA for the most part is lack of security. My fourth amendment right on paper means very little to me when my brains end up somewhere under State and Lake along with everyone else on board. There is a huge difference between an unreasonable search and basic safety. If you are bringing a bag onto public transporation, it should at least be partially inspected by someone. I realize you may be inconvenienced for an extra 20 seconds while your things are being examined, but I'm ok with that if we all get to where we're going safely.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
METRA is a baller transit system. For a commuter rail system, especially one that I enjoy using its fast, effective, very clean, and very user friendly. I have no complaints with METRA at all.

But CTA, they need to clean up, be more effective, be more precise, and be more orderly. CTA has some improvements they have to do, but overall its an efficient system through and through. I really would love to see some expansions and new lines being added, but sadly, is that even on their agenda anymore? (To add more lines)

Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
If you are bringing a bag onto public transporation, it should at least be partially inspected by someone.
That will never happen.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
CTA has some improvements they have to do, but overall its an efficient system through and through. I really would love to see some expansions and new lines being added, but sadly, is that even on their agenda anymore? (To add more lines)
You are in the wrong thread for that.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
You are in the wrong thread for that.
Oh, I know that, haha. I just wanted to give my input on METRA as much as possible. I am normally not a fan of transit, and prefer my car, far more. So I take what little opportunity I get to compliment a rail system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago