Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 12,003 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a 22 year old, white male graduating from UM in Ann Arbor and I have a job working in the Loop (Prudential Plaza) starting end of the summer. I've read a lot of these posts in an attempt to get a gauge on what neighborhoods seem decent for me. I'm into sort of "hipster things" (craft brews, going to concerts, etc) but I definitely don't want to live in a Williamsburg-equivalent. I enjoy running and swimming and it seems like being close to the lake would be nice for that.

From what I've read everything seems very polarizing--yuppies, hipsters, college douches. Where do 'normal' people live? Just average young working people?

It'd be nice if my commute to the Loop wasn't more than 30 min or so, and it would be great if I could bike to work. Safety is obviously a concern. I consider myself to be frugal, but I will be making enough so that rent is not a limiting factor. I will most likely be living by myself.

From what I've read Urkainian Village/East Village, Little Italy, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park are feasible options?

THANKS
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
You're probably not going to enjoy swimming in Lake Michigan much unless you are into "polar bar club" type stuff, even with a wet suit you'd get hypothermia except for few weeks in late summer...

I don't know if there are really all that many truly obnoxious characters that fit either the frat boy / hipster / slacker / yuppie stereotypes in the way that some folks seem to want to perpetuate. Prudential is close to Michigan Ave, which makes transit options easy, bicycle you'd fight a lot of traffic...

Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaner View Post
From what I've read everything seems very polarizing--yuppies, hipsters, college douches. Where do 'normal' people live? Just average young working people?
Crappy nothing-special apartments close to work or their parents' house. That's where.

All of these different polarizing labels are really just encompassing one thing - Privilege.

Last edited by urza216; 02-17-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 AM

279 posts, read 759,839 times
Yes there are stereotypes associated with certain neighborhoods, but it's not like all people living there fit them. There is still tons of variety and plenty of "normal" people.

The standard answer to your question is either Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or Wicker Park / Bucktown and I don't think you can really go wrong with any of those. That is where a majority of new college grads who work in the Loop end up moving to initially. I recommend you make a trip over here and check those areas out for yourself. Sign a one year lease and get to know other neighborhoods better when you're here and then you can always move again if you decide the grass is greener somewhere else.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 12,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
The standard answer to your question is either Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or Wicker Park / Bucktown and I don't think you can really go wrong with any of those. .
How does the commute compare from these areas?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 AM

279 posts, read 759,839 times
Total commute time sort of depends on how far away you live from an El stop, but the train ride itself is less than 30 minutes from all of those areas except for maybe the brown line from the farthest north corners of Lakeview. There are express busses on LSD too if you live right by the lake, or you could take a bike on the Lakeshore path - weather permitting.

You can get a rough idea of travel times by train / bus if you look at the timetables on the CTA website.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:20 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,404 times
I bike in to work every day when weather permits. I live in Logan Square, and take Milwaukee most of the way, which is pretty safe primarily because of the number of people bicycling down that road on any given weekday rush hour. It is great-- safety in numbers. I also bike on some streets downtown to get from Milwaukee Ave.'s southern terminus to the AON center (right next to Prudential). That part is a little more abnoxious, but at least I know all the vehicular traffic is moving at a slow enough speed that a serious injury is highly unlikely.

This bicycle route to/from work does not require any riding on Michigan Ave. whatsoever. I live in Logan Square and the bike ride takes barely more than 30 minutes (and I ride a hybrid ... not even a road bike), so it should easily be less than 30 minutes for any ample bike rider from Wicker Park/ Bucktown using the Milwaukee route.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You're probably not going to enjoy swimming in Lake Michigan much unless you are into "polar bar club" type stuff, even with a wet suit you'd get hypothermia except for few weeks in late summer...
Yeah thousands of people get hypothermia each year in Chicago area from swimming in the lake when it is not late summer.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
All of these different polarizing labels are really just encompassing one thing - Privilege.
People that go to college are a symbol of "privilege?" I guess that includes you right?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:43 AM

278 posts, read 636,377 times
Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Oldtown, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, and North Center are all great, safe neighborhoods in Chicago's north side where young professionals often live. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those neighborhoods. They all have plenty of great food, bars/pubs and entertainment. Lakeview has Wrigleyville/Wrigley Field, tons of sports bars, a really cool and cheap improv club called iO and my favorite movie theater in the city, the Landmark Centre theater. Lincoln Park has a beautiful park, a free zoo, tons of bars more college-oriented, and many fantastic restaurants. Wicker Park and Bucktown are hip and trendy full of cool boutique shops, a fantastic beer pub called the map room, lots of bike shops etc... I live in Ravenswood which is the farthest north of all those I listed. It takes me 30 minutes on the L to get downtown to work, or a 50 to 1 hour long bike ride which I very much enjoy doing. It's a bit quieter but has great food options, two fantastic gastropubs called Hopleaf and Fountainhead which both serves hundreds of different beers, and it's been a very welcoming neighborhood since my move here. The closer towards the loop you get, like Oldtown and Lincoln Park, the more expensive it's going to be. If you got a lot of money there's always Gold Coast or south Loop and then you'll be right downtown.

Here's a good map so you can see the locations of the neighborhoods I'm talking about. All the ones I've listed are on the north side or west side. The south side has some cool areas too but you'll find it has a pretty bad reputation along with the far west side.

http://mappery.com/maps/Chicago-Neighborhoods-Map.jpg

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 02-18-2011 at 01:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago