Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 PM

98 posts, read 97,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^But I have yet to see any evidence that it was stable neighborhoods where we are seeing major population drops.
Your not going to see major population drop in stable areas yet; it's just kind of a cancer that infiltrates stable areas and contributes to decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
For a 10-15% decrease to occur in a single year, wouldn't some kind of a tipping point need to be reached, or some kind of event need to occur? The '07-'08 home value correction occurred relatively rapidly due to a tipping point being reached with the number of foreclosures related to ARM adjustments. I am just wondering if you see any particular event occurring to cause home values to decline. Obviously we have the population decline and the state tax hike, both of which will put downward pressure on prices. Some formerly stable neighborhoods are becoming unstable, and prices should decline rapidly there. However, some neighborhoods are actually benefiting from gentrification, and, those near the train lines, higher gas prices, which makes public transit access more of an asset. I can see prices still increasing in these places, especially those that actually did see population increases in the census. Do you see another round of foreclosures, a state/county/municipal debt default, or some other economic factor causing a sharp decline? Otherwise, I see a decline more on the order of 3-5% city-wide, with a good amount of variance by neighborhood.
High current inventory of bank-owned homes; high pending foreclosures with high current filing rates; high rates of short-sales with low rates of arms-length transactions; high volume of low-priced cash transactions; continued population decline; new mayoral administration; across the board tax and fee increases; declining employment base with below zero job growth; high condo inventory with low condo lending rates by banks; HIGH GAS PRICES (this could induce another recession if prices get to a tipping-point); foreclosure shadow inventory looming throughout the year; continued generally lackluster real estate related consumer confidence; stricter access to residential mortgage financing...these are just some of the reason...but, of course, real estate will return and all this will be a thing for the history books, but until then...lets hope we're at the bottom of the market now...

Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
Possibly because the following:

1. city population has decreased by 200,000 over the past decade, and is projected to become the 4th largest city in the next 5 years, overtaken by Houston.
2. grim unemployment picture, with unemployment rate above national average, and many underemployed.
3. city and state budget crisis on the horizon, possibly headed for bankruptcy, more taxes possibly?
4. Over-reporting of previous home sales by the national association of realtors. Actual market condition may be a lot worse.
5. Large shadow inventory, unsold condos in downtown, lakeshore east, river north etc, more home owners going into foreclosure.
Or perhaps because houses are STILL overpriced in many parts of the city. If the cost to rent a house is thousands less than it's mortgage, then the house is overpriced.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Or perhaps because houses are STILL overpriced in many parts of the city. If the cost to rent a house is thousands less than it's mortgage, then the house is overpriced.
Great point...and I would this to my list of why we could see a 10%-15% drop in home prices...greedy sellers still living in 2005...this with current estimate that 33% of Chicago area homes ''underwater''...

Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Quote:
Chicago has a rent/buy ratio that is pretty much in the middle at this point. Below 15 on the scale it makes more sense to buy and above 20 you should rent. Chicago leans "Buy" at 16.6.

Obviously it varies from neighborhood to neighborhood, but overall Chicago housing prices have pretty much stabilized at this point. There may still be some small corrections, but nothing near 10-15%.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM

818 posts, read 2,172,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Chicago has a rent/buy ratio that is pretty much in the middle at this point. Below 15 on the scale it makes more sense to buy and above 20 you should rent. Chicago leans "Buy" at 16.6.

Obviously it varies from neighborhood to neighborhood, but overall Chicago housing prices have pretty much stabilized at this point. There may still be some small corrections, but nothing near 10-15%.
How does this ratio rank historically? I strongly believe that we had too many people buying homes when they should have been renting, and suspect this still may be the case even after the collapse. So, I want to know how this compares with, say, the early 1970s or some time when the Government was not nearly as actively trying to encourage home ownership amongst select groups of people.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:20 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
How does this ratio rank historically? I strongly believe that we had too many people buying homes when they should have been renting, and suspect this still may be the case even after the collapse. So, I want to know how this compares with, say, the early 1970s or some time when the Government was not nearly as actively trying to encourage home ownership amongst select groups of people.

This article has some more info on it:

Quote:
Throughout the 1970s, ’80s and ’90s, the average rent ratio nationwide hovered between 10 and 14. In the last few years, though, it broke through that historical range and hit almost 19 by the time the housing market peaked, in 2006.
This article has charts going back to 2000, and everything seems around the historical norms until 2002-3.

I don't really think government encouragement played much of a role in this. Any government efforts are dwarfed by the amount of money injected in the market by the GI bill home loans after WWII. That program drove prices up, but nowhere near as much as we saw after 2000.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post

The reason why the ratio is 16.6 is because homes on the South, Southwest, and West are going at incredibly cheap prices. I've seen many properties listed for $15,000. The ration doesn't take into consideration the total cost after rehab. Many homes being sold at the lower end, especially foreclosures require extensive rehab. I read somewhere that the percentage of foreclosed/short sale homes make up close to 40% of sales.

I think if you were just to include the Northside and Northwest side, which the majority of readers and posters live, you'd find the ratio to be much lower.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:34 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,000,542 times
Quote:
The reason why the ratio is 16.6 is because homes on the South, Southwest, and West are going at incredibly cheap prices. I've seen many properties listed for $15,000. The ration doesn't take into consideration the total cost after rehab. Many homes being sold at the lower end, especially foreclosures require extensive rehab. I read somewhere that the percentage of foreclosed/short sale homes make up close to 40% of sales.
Even in the boom places like that didn't rise in prices much. In Chicago anything over $100,000 should be livable. Anything under $80,000 probably needs extensive rehab.

Quote:
I think if you were just to include the Northside and Northwest side, which the majority of readers and posters live, you'd find the ratio to be much lower.
Depends. Compared to other places our bubble was mild. The only thing that got way over built perhaps were downtown condos. North side and Northwest side drops may have more to do with less financing available than with overbuilding.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
In Chicago anything over $100,000 should be livable.
But that don't mean the neighborhood is kosher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago