Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,327 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Chicago and am very interested in an apt (a room in a house) that I found in the Northeast corner of Logan Square, right on the Avondale border. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me about safety concerns of that area.

I've lived in some dangerous cities in other parts of the world, so I'm not exactly sensitive to crime, however, I err on the side of caution and do my research first...I am a single, petite female and would be moving about after dark...

I work 9-5 in the loop and will be bike commuting, rarely walking to and from the metro or anywhere unless its winter or the weather isn't bike friendly.

My main concern is gang violence, and also threats of sexual assault. What commentary/advice is out there on those issues as far as this area is concerned? Is this area prone to these types of problems?

What is the police presence like?

I'd be living at Campbell and Diversey, which is 2 blocks from the intersection of Diversey and Western.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,341,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeese View Post
I work 9-5 in the loop and will be bike commuting, rarely walking to and from the metro or anywhere unless its winter or the weather isn't bike friendly.
I have to say that is one of the worst areas to be doing a commute on a bike to the loop in terms of biking safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeese View Post
I am a single, petite female and would be moving about after dark...
Again, not the best area to be doing that.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 AM

818 posts, read 2,173,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I have to say that is one of the worst areas to be doing a commute on a bike to the loop in terms of biking safety.

Again, not the best area to be doing that.

Gotta say, I disagree with this. Once you get across the six-way light at Diversy/Elston/Western, you can ride you bike down Elston, which is one of the best roads for bicycling in the city (in my opinion). Elston Ave., and the Milwaukee Ave. (after Elston ends), are both heavily bike traveled -- safety in numbers, cars on these streets are used to looking out for bicyclers.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,216,642 times
The area isn't the best, but it's not really bad either. I have a friend who lived by herself just east of Western on Diversey for 3 years without any incidents at all. That was 4 or 5 years ago, and the area has gotten better since then. There is some gang activity just north of there, but unless you plan to be dealing on the corner that isn't a real problem. Also, there's a lot of traffic in the area, which makes it safer than some other areas. You can check out the crime stats for the area at Everyblock.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 AM

537 posts, read 1,035,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
What??? Elston is one of if not the most bike friendly street in Chicago. She is 2 blocks away, and if south of Diversey she's 2 blocks of side street. There is a huge(enough for 2 wide) bike lane the whole way to Milwaukee, which is the bike traffic king of Chicago.

Honestly, there probably isn't a better location she could pick if bike commuting safety and convenience are her biggest concerns.

I live in Jeff Park and regularly ride Lawrence to Elston to get into the loop.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM

93 posts, read 444,146 times
I live at Diversey / Rockwell. We have lived here for 3.5 years and have a two year old. The first year we moved in, there was a stabbing in the alley behind our garage. This has been the only major incident I can recall. Our residents and neighbors have nice cars parked on the street, and no one has been broken into without cause (one visitor left a GPS on the windshield and got a window smashed). We get tagged every now and then, but for some reason they choose the same spot on the side of the building and it's been easy to get cleaned. There is a small neighborhood park a couple blocks away and I'm amazed to see the diversity of professional families with kids. We walk around a lot at night to the golden nugget, movie theater and orbit room. My wife has never felt unsafe, but like everywhere else, you just need to be smart. Given the mix of professionals, gang bangers, older residents, once you become more recognizable in the neighborhood everyone is friendly. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:44 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,888,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Elston is one of if not the most bike friendly street in Chicago. She is 2 blocks away, and if south of Diversey she's 2 blocks of side street. There is a huge(enough for 2 wide) bike lane the whole way to Milwaukee, which is the bike traffic king of Chicago.

Honestly, there probably isn't a better location she could pick if bike commuting safety and convenience are her biggest concerns.
Agreed. The Lakefront is MUCH worse, Elston rocks.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:45 PM

994 posts, read 1,832,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Guys View Post
I live at Diversey / Rockwell. We have lived here for 3.5 years and have a two year old. The first year we moved in, there was a stabbing in the alley behind our garage. This has been the only major incident I can recall. Our residents and neighbors have nice cars parked on the street, and no one has been broken into without cause (one visitor left a GPS on the windshield and got a window smashed). We get tagged every now and then, but for some reason they choose the same spot on the side of the building and it's been easy to get cleaned. There is a small neighborhood park a couple blocks away and I'm amazed to see the diversity of professional families with kids. We walk around a lot at night to the golden nugget, movie theater and orbit room. My wife has never felt unsafe, but like everywhere else, you just need to be smart. Given the mix of professionals, gang bangers, older residents, once you become more recognizable in the neighborhood everyone is friendly. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I think that sums it up well. I grew up and now live once again in the far northeast part of Avondale (Belmont and Elston) and I think it's a good neighborhood. It's pretty safe, diverse, and has easy access to it by car, train, bus, bike, and by foot. The only thing I truly dislike about Avondale is that it's a tad bit ugly architecture and streetscape wise. I think between the river and kedzie and belmont and addison that little area is the nicest part. Probably because it is the closest to Roscoe Village and the Irving Park neighborhood. Other than that Avondale has everything you need in terms of amentities, it's safe, not expensive (not cheap either) and in IMO is the next Logan Square, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your view. It's definitely up and coming once this economy gets better. My dream is that they one day redesign and work on Elston between Belmont and Diversey because that is such an ugly and univiting area.

Yes Orbit Room is also awesome!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 PM

190 posts, read 405,616 times
I am at Diversey and Western on the east side and have had zero problems and have been here for 5 years. I love the location and there is a lot of changes happening, just look at the retail that has happened along Elston. Commercial always follows residential and it should give you a good indication of the demographics in this area (Potbelly, Chipotle, Panera Bread, Pei Wei.....)

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,341,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Gotta say, I disagree with this. Once you get across the six-way light at Diversy/Elston/Western, you can ride you bike down Elston
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
What??? Elston is one of if not the most bike friendly street in Chicago.
Did she say she would be taking Elston all the way down?

I didn't see her say that anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago