Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 4,939 times

Advertisements

Hi,

From this June I and my husband are moving to Chicago (for the first time in Chicago and USA in general. His work place will be in East Ontario Street.

Could you please suggest, in what areas of the city we should look for an apartment?

We would be looking for 1 BR apartment in a safe place. Prize range could be from 850 until 1000 USD. It would be perfect if he could commute to his working place no longer as about 45 min.

Would it be possible to find something matching those criteria?

Do you also have any opinion on apartment finding firms we should contact?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by agne; 03-06-2011 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
There are a lot of places that meet your criteria. Your husband will be commuting to his work place via public transit. Somewhere along either the red line, the brown line or lake shore drive(depending on the bus) should be places to live(assuming he wants to live in the city).

Can you give more details such as what sorts of activties do you like or what sort of neighborhood? Do you need to go to work somewhere? If you have children then schools can be of concern. Also what size of place do you want?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM

chirac, thank you for your answer.

We are without kids. At the beginning we plan to use public transport.

We would rather prefer quitter places and yes, we would like to live in the city. As about my plans, I will start with English classes for foreigners at University of Chicago. Do you think it would be possible to find some place somewhere in between East 59th and East Ontario streets?

Both of us like very much to do some sports outside.

Sorry about those questions, but could you please specify what neighborhoods are crossed by red and brown lines?

I checked several neighborhoods on the internet that as far as I understand are closest to Near North Side: Streeterville, Ashburn, Linkoln Square, Edgewatter... I had an impression that those places are quite expensive and without much choice. On the other hand Edgewatter seemed very nice to me.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:59 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agne View Post
I checked several neighborhoods on the internet that as far as I understand are closest to Near North Side: Streeterville, Ashburn, Linkoln Square, Edgewatter... I had an impression that those places are quite expensive and without much choice. On the other hand Edgewatter seemed very nice to me.
You don't want to live in Ashburn. Cross that off right away.

What country are you moving from?

What is your native language? I am guessing German. Am I correct?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
You don't want to live in Ashburn. Cross that off right away.

What country are you moving from?

What is your native language? I am guessing German. Am I correct?
What's wrong with Ashburn?

No, I am not German. We are mooving from Lithuania, so my native language is Lithuanian.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:42 PM

Ashburn is a little on the rough side.

Ok, if you are going to U of C I wouldn't want to go too far north. So Edgewater while nice and within your budget is too far north unless you temporally want to deal with a long commute to get to class. Edgewater, however would be fine for your husband to get to work.

You budget is fine; however the amount of space you get for a given amount can vary according to neighborhood.

The south loop is an option.

Lincoln park is in your price range for renting (but maybe a longish commute to your class) and on the south side Hyde park(near U of C).

Lots of areas are crossed by both lines so I can not narrow it down that much.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
What's wrong with Ashburn?

No, I am not German. We are mooving from Lithuania, so my native language is Lithuanian.
Read this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...n-gresham.html

I am sorry, at least I was somewhat close on your country.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 AM

Thanks a lot for your advice. I’ll check the areas you suggested

chirac, I understand that it’s a question not easy to answer but just your opinion – in what area of the city the balance of price range I mentioned (800-1000 USD) and space would be the best, taking into account the distance and safety?

tonythetuna, thanks for your link. Yes, Germany is not far away from me. About one hour of flight.

Do you have any opinion about this company?

Chicago Apartment Finders - Search Apartment Rentals

Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your advice. I’ll check the areas you suggested

chirac, I understand that it’s a question not easy to answer but just your opinion – in what area of the city the balance of price range I mentioned (800-1000 USD) and space would be the best, taking into account the distance and safety?

tonythetuna, thanks for your link. Yes, Germany is not far away from me. About one hour of flight.

Do you have any opinion about this company?

Chicago Apartment Finders - Search Apartment Rentals
I would choose south loop or hyde park as the best and then if you do not like either area choose others. Our public transit is laid out in a way that your husband will have an easy time getting to work just about any area you choose but you getting to class is going to be more a problem.

If I were you I would consider renting for a short while till you get an better idea of the neighborhoods then choose a spot that more fits your taste and budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: