Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Last summer I had an internship in Northbrook and lived in Evanston and I would spend a lot of time in Chicago, but it was mostly in the loop, so I unfortunately never got a good feel for the neighborhoods. I'm not really sure why I like Edgewater, just from what I've seen on google streetview seems like a pretty good neighborhood. I've also looked a lot in the Lincoln Park area and it looks like an awesome area too.

I think once I actually get to spend some time looking at different areas in person, I'll probably know more about what I like. I'm moving from Michigan and my budget depends on the job I get, but according to salary sites, my salary should be in the range of $33,000-$37,000. Once I know my salary, I'll know more about my budget, but I'm thinking I can probably spend about $700/750 on rent and I'm completely fine getting a studio.

I'm going to start to apply to jobs in May when I graduate because if I started now, because of my class schedule, I wouldn't be able to come to Chicago to interview until May anyway. Then once I have a job offer (whenever that may be haha), I'll start seriously looking at different apartments. Right now I'm just trying to get an idea.
I love Edgewater. It's the best place in the city for public transit, decent night life close by, decent entertainment and of course - proximity to the lake and the beach in my opinion. It's really inexpensive compared to the rest of the city as well. Thumbs up Edgewater!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
I love Edgewater. It's the best place in the city for public transit
I disagree. If you are going east and west, the CTA sucks late at night. You are pretty much stuck unless you go down to Lawrence.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I disagree. If you are going east and west, the CTA sucks late at night. You are pretty much stuck unless you go down to Lawrence.
I haven't really done a lot of east/west commuting in the time I've spent in Edgewater. Especially late at night. I'm generally commuting south and using the red line or the express bus. Then again, late at night I can't really think of any reason to be doing an east/west commute in Edgewater, unless there's something going on that I'm missing?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Then again, late at night I can't really think of any reason to be doing an east/west commute in Edgewater, unless there's something going on that I'm missing?
There is more to life in Chicago than things east of Western or the Red Line.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
There is more to life in Chicago than things east of Western or the Red Line.
What warranted that? Not venturing west of Andersonville frequently doesn't mean I'm a hermit and neglect all other areas of the city.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
What warranted that? Not venturing west of Andersonville frequently doesn't mean I'm a hermit and neglect all other areas of the city.
Well, you said this:

Quote:
I can't really think of any reason to be doing an east/west commute in Edgewater, unless there's something going on that I'm missing?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Well, you said this:
Correct. Meaning that during the time I spend in Edgewater, I very rarely am traveling a long distance to the west or going further west than Andersonville as the primary reason I am in Edgewater is the beach or to run around Bryn Mawr and the park. Not to say the area further west isn't worth exploring, but my itinerary for the day if I am going to be out and about enjoying a leisurely stroll is not taking me further west of Andersonville if I'm in Edgewater as I don't really have a lot of reason to be there other than to look around - which I can do closer to where I currently live if that's my sole purpose that day. Concerning the rest of the city though, indeed I do venture further west than the red line stops.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM

22 posts, read 43,367 times
I'd recommend west of Broadway, East of Clark, N of Foster, and South of Hollywood if you want to stick in Edgewater for the things you mentioned. That will keep you close enough to the lake, bars/restaurants (Clark street), the redline (Bryn Mawr or Berwyn), and safe. Living on Sheridan is fine, but I'd consider it a hike on foot to get to a concentrated area of bars & restaurants. I'm sure you could expand beyond these boundaries, but there are some pockets between Sheridan and Broadway that seem a little sketch to me.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I very rarely am traveling a long distance to the west or going further west than Andersonville
This just confirms my first statement. Anyways, moving on...

Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
This just confirms my first statement. Anyways, moving on...
I'm still not sure why rarely venturing deep into North West Chicago means that I'm confined to the red line and neglecting the rest of the city in your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago