Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM

286 posts, read 1,030,438 times

Advertisements

Ok a little background: 25-year old male, would be grad student who likes to go out for the night and shop. I've done decent research on Chicago and Lincoln Park is my preferred destination so far. What I ask of you, the locals, is the hard truth about the area from the real-life street level.

How is the crime rate; and which kinds occur? How upscale does the area feel? Does the neighborhood have color, e.g. colorful/quirky storefronts, public art? Would a night owl be sufficiently entertained (not just bars... coffee houses, restaurants etc. also)?

So yes I love Chi-town so far, with my sights focused on the North Side and North Shore. My concerns have been with crime and possible lack of color to the city (a lot of brown buildings and older infrastructure). Thanks for your patience everyone. Oh, and rep points for some good photos of the city, especially Lincoln Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 PM

98 posts, read 111,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
My concerns have been with crime and possible lack of color to the city (a lot of brown buildings and older infrastructure).
What do you expect? Pastels? This ain't Florida,California, or New Mexico. Most northern cities have a "lack of color."

Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,916,738 times
Lincoln Park is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. Violent crime is few and far between. Property crime isn't bad either, just make sure to not leave your GPS or wallet in the console of your vehicle. Don't leave your door unlocked. Don't wander around for 20 blocks intoxicated.

Occasionally there are very very random acts of violence, but that's to be expected in any major city neighborhood. LP is one of the most desirable in the city, especially for the young professional crowd. You really won't find a safer neighborhood other than maybe Edison Park on the far NW side.

The area is pretty upscale. Lots of college students from DePaul, lots of fresh out of college students who are in the in between stage of college and the real world. Then there are a lot of yuppies who make good money.

Tons of restaurants. It is a bar heavy neighborhood though. Plenty of people live there who don't go out all night to bars/clubs, but it is one of the top nightlife spots in the city.

If you want more of a pseudo artsy feel, Wicker Park and Bucktown. They are pseudo artsy because it's a lot of young professionals who pretend to be hipsters/artists/musicians (part time). Nightlife is a bit more relaxed too.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,117,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post

If you want more of a pseudo artsy feel, Wicker Park and Bucktown. They are pseudo artsy because it's a lot of young professionals who pretend to be hipsters/artists/musicians (part time).
They may also like art and music, which is why they choose to live in a neighborhood with the most music venues in the city.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,451,124 times
If you don't like historic neighborhoods with brick buildings, then I wouldn't recommend moving to Lincoln Park, or anywhere in Chicago. LP isn't really monotone, though, especially compared to some other neighborhoods. Look around the sidestreets yourself on the wonderful tool that is streetview. I think it's one of the most attractive neighborhoods in the city.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,964,516 times
Color?

Well, the sky is blue and grass is green in Lincoln Park, as in most places. Stop signs are red. Pavement tends to range from black to gray. In the wintertime, snow starts off white, then transforms to gray. Cars come in all sorts of color. Hmm, what else am I missing?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,451,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Color?

Well, the sky is blue and grass is green in Lincoln Park, as in most places. Stop signs are red. Pavement tends to range from black to gray. In the wintertime, snow starts off white, then transforms to gray. Cars come in all sorts of color. Hmm, what else am I missing?
buildings

Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,065,502 times
I'm 25 and live in LP. There is definately "color" to the area, but it does vary. For example the shops on Lincoln tend to have a bit more of a charm to them than say the ones on Diversey. It just really depends on every street/block. As mentioned above I would get on Google Streetview and check out some of the major streets. Look at Halsted, Clark, Fullerton, Diversey, Lincoln etc.

I can't really claim to know how conducive the area is to a night owl (at least during the week). There are places open late though and I think most of those places are probably closer to Depaul to cater to the late night study crowd.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,141,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
They may also like art and music, which is why they choose to live in a neighborhood with the most music venues in the city.
Exactly! Same with Logan Square. In fact, in my experience, most of them aren't "pretending" at all.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:56 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,141,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Ok a little background: 25-year old male, would be grad student who likes to go out for the night and shop. I've done decent research on Chicago and Lincoln Park is my preferred destination so far. What I ask of you, the locals, is the hard truth about the area from the real-life street level.

How is the crime rate; and which kinds occur? How upscale does the area feel? Does the neighborhood have color, e.g. colorful/quirky storefronts, public art? Would a night owl be sufficiently entertained (not just bars... coffee houses, restaurants etc. also)?

So yes I love Chi-town so far, with my sights focused on the North Side and North Shore. My concerns have been with crime and possible lack of color to the city (a lot of brown buildings and older infrastructure). Thanks for your patience everyone. Oh, and rep points for some good photos of the city, especially Lincoln Park.
Honestly, all you have to do is come to Chicago and spend one weekend hanging out in Lincoln Park to get a "Feel" for it. I don't think it would take more time than that to determine if it suits you.
It's pretty straightforward vibe IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago