Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 AM

4,243 posts, read 4,759,362 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...thwestern.html

So I moved here from Atlanta a month ago and stayed with friends the first few weeks...I ended up subleasing a spot in South Loop (6 months left on the lease)...I figured that would give me enough time to learn the city, settle in, and really decide where I wanna live...

So far so good, I like the side of the town and am settling into my new job. Some of the (very) random thoughts I've had since getting here:

-Can't wait to buy a new DSLR camera; the architecture here is amazing
-My lungs feel like they've been suffering since moving here...why are there SO many smokers in Chicago??
-I guess pedestrians here enjoy walking in front of oncoming traffic, huh?
-Can't wait to try Buddy Legends for some good Blues
-Got some good finds at the West Loop location Goodwill...any other thrift store recommendations?
-Still haven't been to the lakefront yet...
-To keep my car...or not to keep my car?? I haven't used it in three weeks. Right now it's parked by a friend's place on the street about a 15 minute bus ride from where I live (parking in my building is $250/month). My car is paid for but I'm thinking I should sell it...however almost everyone here keeps telling me to keep it through the first winter What to do??
-Weather forecast high for today per weather.com is 69...for this Sunday it's 94...what gives??
-I want to check out the rooftop @ the Wit...
-I'm not weighing myself for the next month...my diet for my first month here largely consisted of Sprinkles cupcakes and Harold's Chicken.
-Ja Grill has some really good Jamaican food
-Everyone here keeps on asking me 'why would you move from Atlanta???'
-I've been meeting random people on the street, which usually doesn't happen to me this frequently in other cities...people here really do seem friendlier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,964,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

So I moved here from Atlanta a month ago and stayed with friends the first few weeks...I ended up subleasing a spot in South Loop (6 months left on the lease)...I figured that would give me enough time to learn the city, settle in, and really decide where I wanna live...

So far so good, I like the side of the town and am settling into my new job. Some of the (very) random thoughts I've had since getting here:
Glad to hear it's going well so far. Hopefully NATO didn't deter you too much ;-)

Quote:
-My lungs feel like they've been suffering since moving here...why are there SO many smokers in Chicago??
Wish I knew that too. I think it depends on where you are neighborhood wise and also where you ARE. Certainly the smoking ban pushed more smokers outside, but they still exist nonetheless. The city is slower paced than NYC, but it's still stressful and people have stressful jobs. That's my thought of it. Then there's the people who do it for social image.

Quote:
Buddy Guy's is good, but the two Blues Clubs I'd recommend more than Buddy Guy's is BLUES on Halsted and Kingston Mines. They're almost next door to each other in Lincoln Park.

Quote:
-Got some good finds at the West Loop location Goodwill...any other thrift store recommendations?
Brown Elephant in Lakeview on Halsted for sure (huge place)

Quote:
-To keep my car...or not to keep my car?? I haven't used it in three weeks. Right now it's parked by a friend's place on the street about a 15 minute bus ride from where I live (parking in my building is $250/month). My car is paid for but I'm thinking I should sell it...however almost everyone here keeps telling me to keep it through the first winter What to do??
Yeah parking in South Loop, Loop, River North, Gold Coast is expensive. The good thing is that you have it paid off. If you don't have a problem with riding a train/bus to get your car, maybe look into Zone Parking. I'm not 100% sure how it works..if you have to actually live near where you want the zone parking, but I know it's $25/year. If you don't have a problem paying the insurance to keep your car, it's not a bad idea.

Office of the City Clerk | City of Chicago

EDIT: Okay, I think you actually do need to live in the zone. Other things I'd look into are areas where you can pay a little more for a parking lot. Check this out instead (Craigslist) http://chicago.craigslist.org/prk/

Quote:
-Weather forecast high for today per weather.com is 69...for this Sunday it's 94...what gives??
The jet stream passes right by Chicago, and sometimes right through it, making for some volatile weather sometimes. There's one near Atlanta too, but doesn't cause as many changes. During the summer, it won't be an issue. With a few exceptions here and there, the temperature will be pretty constant from day to day in the summer. The only thing you will notice is how it might be sunny all day, and then come 6pm it's all of a sudden storming out.

Quote:
It's a good one. I think they have a retractable roof now? For other rooftop bars/lounges...check out Vertigo at Dana Hotel, Citizen Bar, Rock Bottom Brewery, and Zed 451.

Quote:
Good to know If you want other Caribbean food, I hear Cafe Trinidad on like 79th on the south side is really good. Haven't been there yet, but I want some Chicken Roti so badly.

Quote:
-I've been meeting random people on the street, which usually doesn't happen to me this frequently in other cities...people here really do seem friendlier
People here are mostly nice and down to earth. Unless you are in the Loop at 8-9am in someone's way trying to get to work or walking really slowly infront of a local on the street impeding on their progress, most people are pretty cool here as you've learned.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,528,448 times
Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...thwestern.html

-Can't wait to buy a new DSLR camera; the architecture here is amazing
-I guess pedestrians here enjoy walking in front of oncoming traffic, huh?
-Still haven't been to the lakefront yet...
-I'm not weighing myself for the next month...my diet for my first month here largely consisted of Sprinkles cupcakes and Harold's Chicken.
-Everyone here keeps on asking me 'why would you move from Atlanta???'
Definitely check out some of the Northside neighborhoods while waiting out this lease, they are far more lively than the South Loop (but then again, if you really like the South Loop, by all means stay. The area could use some more lively residents!) Kingston Mines and B.L.U.E.S. are fantastic blues clubs in Lincoln Park.

As far as smokers..I had the opposite reaction when moving here. I see significantly LESS smokers here than I did in Pittsburgh.

In the 4 season cities, May can be a month of back and forth temperature wise...give it a few more weeks and it'll stabilize.

Not sure why people are asking you why you'd move from Atlanta..maybe it's the particular people you've been talking to?

YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT THE LAKEFRONT. NOW!! Do this when you go check out the Northside neighborhoods. Check out the Lakeview neighborhood (get off at Belmont on the Redline) and go to Belmont Harbor. Walk the lakefront south until you get to Fullerton (then check out Lincoln Park), or if you are feeling like some exercise, walk to North Ave beach.

I haven't tried that Jamaican place, but will put it on my list.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,996,394 times
I love it when people give us feedback after asking all the questions! Glad you are enjoying checking things out around town. I haven't had Harold's chicken in years, but that is the best! Definitely check out the lakefront! Especially with the weather we'll be having. My sister lives in Rogers Park RIGHT off the beach - she's loving it. That is the best thing about Rogers Park, you don't have to cross LSD to get to the lake.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Glad to hear it's going well so far. Hopefully NATO didn't deter you too much ;-)

Wish I knew that too. I think it depends on where you are neighborhood wise and also where you ARE. Certainly the smoking ban pushed more smokers outside, but they still exist nonetheless. The city is slower paced than NYC, but it's still stressful and people have stressful jobs. That's my thought of it. Then there's the people who do it for social image.

Buddy Guy's is good, but the two Blues Clubs I'd recommend more than Buddy Guy's is BLUES on Halsted and Kingston Mines. They're almost next door to each other in Lincoln Park.

Brown Elephant in Lakeview on Halsted for sure (huge place)

Yeah parking in South Loop, Loop, River North, Gold Coast is expensive. The good thing is that you have it paid off. If you don't have a problem with riding a train/bus to get your car, maybe look into Zone Parking. I'm not 100% sure how it works..if you have to actually live near where you want the zone parking, but I know it's $25/year. If you don't have a problem paying the insurance to keep your car, it's not a bad idea.

Office of the City Clerk | City of Chicago

EDIT: Okay, I think you actually do need to live in the zone. Other things I'd look into are areas where you can pay a little more for a parking lot. Check this out instead (Craigslist) chicago parking & storage classifieds - craigslist

The jet stream passes right by Chicago, and sometimes right through it, making for some volatile weather sometimes. There's one near Atlanta too, but doesn't cause as many changes. During the summer, it won't be an issue. With a few exceptions here and there, the temperature will be pretty constant from day to day in the summer. The only thing you will notice is how it might be sunny all day, and then come 6pm it's all of a sudden storming out.

It's a good one. I think they have a retractable roof now? For other rooftop bars/lounges...check out Vertigo at Dana Hotel, Citizen Bar, Rock Bottom Brewery, and Zed 451.

Good to know If you want other Caribbean food, I hear Cafe Trinidad on like 79th on the south side is really good. Haven't been there yet, but I want some Chicken Roti so badly.

People here are mostly nice and down to earth. Unless you are in the Loop at 8-9am in someone's way trying to get to work or walking really slowly infront of a local on the street impeding on their progress, most people are pretty cool here as you've learned.
Definitely gonna check out B.L.U.E.S. too after seeing all of the great reviews on Yelp about them...

Will have to look into the Brown Elephant as well

Thanks for the parking insight and the rooftop/bar recommendations!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Definitely check out some of the Northside neighborhoods while waiting out this lease, they are far more lively than the South Loop (but then again, if you really like the South Loop, by all means stay. The area could use some more lively residents!) Kingston Mines and B.L.U.E.S. are fantastic blues clubs in Lincoln Park.

As far as smokers..I had the opposite reaction when moving here. I see significantly LESS smokers here than I did in Pittsburgh.

In the 4 season cities, May can be a month of back and forth temperature wise...give it a few more weeks and it'll stabilize.

Not sure why people are asking you why you'd move from Atlanta..maybe it's the particular people you've been talking to?

YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT THE LAKEFRONT. NOW!! Do this when you go check out the Northside neighborhoods. Check out the Lakeview neighborhood (get off at Belmont on the Redline) and go to Belmont Harbor. Walk the lakefront south until you get to Fullerton (then check out Lincoln Park), or if you are feeling like some exercise, walk to North Ave beach.

I haven't tried that Jamaican place, but will put it on my list.
I will definitely be looking into the Northside and other areas in the meantime...I like the convenience of the South Loop...but I'm kinda bored Actually, I'm really bored, but that's probably because I just got here and don't know much of anyone yet Anyways, I've been surprised at just how quiet it is in my area in the evenings.

I will definitely be checking out the lakefront this weekend...with it being a holiday weekend I'll have much more time to explore so this is at the top of my list

Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I love it when people give us feedback after asking all the questions! Glad you are enjoying checking things out around town. I haven't had Harold's chicken in years, but that is the best! Definitely check out the lakefront! Especially with the weather we'll be having. My sister lives in Rogers Park RIGHT off the beach - she's loving it. That is the best thing about Rogers Park, you don't have to cross LSD to get to the lake.

For some reason I'm craving fried okra and popcorn shrimp today (have been having the weirdest cravings lately)

Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Definitely gonna check out B.L.U.E.S. too after seeing all of the great reviews on Yelp about them...

Will have to look into the Brown Elephant as well

Thanks for the parking insight and the rooftop/bar recommendations!
No problem. And yeah, go see the Lakefront!! BLUES on Halsted is good, small club though. There's a website with their schedule on it. If you can catch Rico McFarland there..amazing guitarist as is Rob Blaine. Both these guys are great, but I don't think play there a lot (they seem to actually be touring). They will play both there and Kingston Mines. I am a fan of Vance Kelly too. Really though, any of those acts you can't go wrong. All these guys probably have a handful of videos on YouTube from each of them at least if you feel like scoping out some acts beforehand!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I will definitely be looking into the Northside and other areas in the meantime...I like the convenience of the South Loop...but I'm kinda bored Actually, I'm really bored, but that's probably because I just got here and don't know much of anyone yet Anyways, I've been surprised at just how quiet it is in my area in the evenings.

I will definitely be checking out the lakefront this weekend...with it being a holiday weekend I'll have much more time to explore so this is at the top of my list
South Loop is certainly more boring than other neighborhoods. Go into the heart of Lakeview or Lincoln Park, or River North...or Wicker Park on a nice day..weekend and you'll see a difference. I find South Loop more "suburban" than any of these areas. It's not a place I go to be entertained, but there are a few places there which are cool.

A place I thought had a good atmosphere was The Scout down there, kind of near the Roosevelt stop (13th and Wabash). It's a sports bar-ish place, but the food is decent and I like how it's pretty much open air when it's nice out. Other than that, the only place I go to down there is the target and the ICON movie theatre next to it.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,873,337 times
Quote:
[url]...-My lungs feel like they've been suffering since moving here...why are there SO many smokers in Chicago??...
No. You aren't used to so many CARS going to one place. Being in the South Loop means that more vehicles travel towards your neighborhood. More cars means more exhaust.

If I blew cigarette smoke in your face for 1 hour, you would feel nauseated.

If I blew car exhaust into your face for an hour, you would probably die.

Besides that, smokers keep taxes down. A pack of Parliaments don't cost $10 to make (but that's what they cost to buy inside Chicago city limits). That is taxes added on to pay for the transit, parks, roads, and police that the city enjoys.

On topic: Chicago is awesome. Glad to hear it's been good so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: