Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Any time.

Any place.

BRING IT ON!!!

Had a couple too many tonight Chet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
just watching the Sox ...

Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Had a couple too many tonight Chet?
Quote:
just watching the Sox ...
There's your answer right there Tom. That'll drive anyone to drink these days.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Any time.

Any place.

Did I say don't go to beach? Perhaps you two would like to go for a ride on my boat -- YouTube - The Sopranos Episode 18 Tony Grabs Russian Dude By the Balls

Water temperatures in Miami: US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Chicago: National Weather Service Text Product Display

BRING IT ON!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I've been in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean in So, Florida and SoCal in the hottest days of July and August. Ocean water is cold even under a full sun and when the outside temperature in 98 degrees and humid. .

I never set foot in Lake Michigan. I suspect even though it is a smaller large body of water it will not be appreciably warmer than either ocean despite being located in a high humdity area, and in a densely populated area. Humidity and population did not seem to affect it at Venice Beach or Miami.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Click?

Human perception of relative temperature differences is quite poor, moreso when the range is especially wide as when on hot beach.

Thermometers are much more reliable.

Water temperatures in Miami: US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide
US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Chicago: National Weather Service Text Product Display
National Weather Service Text Product Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I've been in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean in So, Florida and SoCal in the hottest days of July and August. Ocean water is cold even under a full sun and when the outside temperature in 98 degrees and humid. .

I never set foot in Lake Michigan. I suspect even though it is a smaller large body of water it will not be appreciably warmer than either ocean despite being located in a high humdity area, and in a densely populated area. Humidity and population did not seem to affect it at Venice Beach or Miami.
sheesh

Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I can take my old John Deere fishing thermometer and and throw it out in the ocean to see what the
temperature is. I don't need a thermometer to tell me when water is colder than my body temperature.*There are other clues too, but I imagine you already know what they are.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM

142 posts, read 432,088 times
Default Loyola Beach

Nobody's mentioned Loyola Beach...? (Up in Roger's Park)

Granted, it's not a "party beach" (which is why I like going there) but if you go with a big group of people, you should be able to actually stake out a decent sized plot of sand for the day...

I think it's a little cleaner than some of the more centrally located Chicago beaches. Not that I'd ever swim in the water (no matter how warm it is) but I like to be able to lay in the sand without worrying about baking myself in other people's trash...

Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkV View Post
Nobody's mentioned Loyola Beach...? (Up in Roger's Park)

Granted, it's not a "party beach" (which is why I like going there) but if you go with a big group of people, you should be able to actually stake out a decent sized plot of sand for the day...

I think it's a little cleaner than some of the more centrally located Chicago beaches. Not that I'd ever swim in the water (no matter how warm it is) but I like to be able to lay in the sand without worrying about baking myself in other people's trash...
It's not a bad beach at all. I've been using Foster Beach for a while now, and while it's smaller, it's also quiet(er).

I'm curious about some of the Evanston beaches. I was biking past one once, and the lifeguard said the beaches in Evanston are more family oriented.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
I've been to a lot of beaches in Chicago and what many people probably don't know is that there is a real nice beach and large park at 95th street. Right now the construction in Burnham Park is a blight around 35th street. Rainbow beach at 79th has been improved, but is still somewhat seedy.

However, I really like Juneway beach way up north and the classical archways (and kiddy sprays) at the beach at 63rd street. Both beaches are family-oriented and not that good for hooking up with new acquaintances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago