Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:47 AM

132 posts, read 241,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You can get a nice 2 BD for that price. I forgot about the dog thing. I would live close to the lake front on the north side for easy walking of those guys. You can take the trains and/or an express bus to work from the north side. You really have so many options.
Yep And that's why you guys are here, to help me narrow them down The North Side sounds nice, but I'm not sure which areas specifically, and (I know this sounds like a stupid question), is the commute across the river anything I should factor in to my equation? Will the northside mean no walking to work? Are cabs a reliable option in an emergency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley Wood View Post
Yep And that's why you guys are here, to help me narrow them down The North Side sounds nice, but I'm not sure which areas specifically, and (I know this sounds like a stupid question), is the commute across the river anything I should factor in to my equation? Will the northside mean no walking to work? Are cabs a reliable option in an emergency?
Depends on how far north. If you live in the gold coast or streeterville (I wouldn't if I was you) you can walk (not in January though ). Not sure what about the river worries you. Cabs are always around in an emergency so no worries with that.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I think you'll have to make a decision to have a super short commute or more of the neighborhood feel. My favorite neighborhoods are a little further from the loop. Wicker Park is super dog friendly with a bit more of an alternative feel to the more frat boy scene of east Lakeview/Wrigleyville. I also really like western Lakeview/Roscoe Village area. If you're right by the blue line WP or the brown line in western lakeview you'd have a pretty easy commute, but it certainly wouldn't be walkable.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Depends on how far north. If you live in the gold coast or streeterville (I wouldn't if I was you) you can walk (not in January though ). Not sure what about the river worries you. Cabs are always around in an emergency so no worries with that.
The river commute: I'm not worried that I'll have to swim it I guess I'm used to the west coast way of thinking -- it's a concern if you live east of the city in Portland if there's an earthquake or other disaster, can't get home if the bridges go. Also, I didn't know if there was a traffic logjam at river bridges. Doesn't seem like it, but I know in Seattle the bridges can be a PITA.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Also, I'm leaning towards the fairly walkable. I'd like to be able to go to the museums, downtown shopping, etc. on the weekends without a bus ride. I guess I could cab it? Chicago cabbies anyone?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Also, I'm leaning towards the fairly walkable. I'd like to be able to go to the museums, downtown shopping, etc. on the weekends without a bus ride. I guess I could cab it? Chicago cabbies anyone?
Or the trains. Cabs get expensive. There's shopping all over the city. Not just downtown. I think the better shopping is in the neighborhoods with the small shops, not large national chains. Great news though, you have so many options!

No bridge worries here.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
Quote:

There are plenty of walkable neighborhoods that have shopping etc. If you really want to be able to walk to work and to museums you probably want to target River North or Streeterville. Even at that, walking in the winter probably isn't something you would want to do all that often.

The museums are generally in the loop itself, and I don't know of anyone that actually enjoys living in the loop.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Or the trains. Cabs get expensive. There's shopping all over the city. Not just downtown. I think the better shopping is in the neighborhoods with the small shops, not large national chains. Great news though, you have so many options!

No bridge worries here.
Can I tell the L in city? I thought it was commuter only. I just didn't want to have to do city buses, unless they're much better there than Denver & Portland. Portland has the streetcar that works well.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
If you really want to be able to walk to work and to museums you probably want to target River North or Streeterville. Even at that, walking in the winter probably isn't something you would want to do all that often.

The museums are generally in the loop itself, and I don't know of anyone that actually enjoys living in the loop.
When you say the loop, do you mean the purple area called "the loop" on the
neighborhood map: Chicago Neighborhoods | Explore Chicago or some larger area?

Gold Coast and Lincoln Park are both on the water, although I'd think Gold Coast would be too expensive for me even if I am able to pay up to $1500 a month. Andersonville looks a little far. I'd like to be able to make it home over lunch if I have to take care of a sick pet or have something being delivered or whatever.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Can I tell the L in city? I thought it was commuter only. I just didn't want to have to do city buses, unless they're much better there than Denver & Portland. Portland has the streetcar that works well.
No, the CTA trains are great. I don't know about Portland and Denver, but our buses are pretty good too. Especially some of the express ones. Here's a link to CTA maps, should be helpful.

Deprecated Browser Error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago