Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:50 AM

204 posts, read 761,475 times

Advertisements

What would you guys rate the top house and trance clubs in Chicago. I went to Sound Bar yesterday and was really disappointed with how low class it has become. Any advice guys and gals? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 12:44 PM

55 posts, read 274,713 times
I'm interested in finding this out as well...

Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
I know exactly what you mean when it comes to Sound-Bar. When it comes to strictly dope house music, my suggestion is Smartbar in Wrigleyville. The vast majority of the people there seem to be passionate about the music (the house music sets primarily), and it's less of that annoying "see & be seen" and ethnic clique crowd that you see at other crowds such as Sound-Bar. (btw I myself would be considered ethnic, but generally don't like to roll in closed-minded cliques if I have the choice) Good luck, and let me know what you are able to find in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
What would you guys rate the top house and trance clubs in Chicago. I went to Sound Bar yesterday and was really disappointed with how low class it has become. Any advice guys and gals? Thanks

Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 AM

9 posts, read 32,215 times
Yeah I was also wondering this as I will be moving across to Chicago from the UK and the city is known for its dance music pedigree but the standard guide books dont go into too much detail ( I suppose clubs and nights can come and go regularly ) but any other suggestions for good clubs from anyone would be welcome !

Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
If you're trying to find the best "clubs" in Chicago (or especially Detroit), you're thinking like someone from the east or west coasts.

True talent, and what is easily the best music, is showcased at the grittier places that aren't typically clubs. You have to move in that crowd to find out where the biggest House scene is happening... House is called House (and Factory) because it started in abandoned homes and factories where people could party to death without fear of the police finding them.

As mentioned above, you have to be very dedicated in the group to find out where it's happening. For a long while, I used to be, but those winter nights speeding along the freeways and away from the police bust just got to me for some reason

Welcome to the midwest. Anti-glamour, anti-glitz, anti-having-to-deal-with-pretentious-displays-of-showing-off. Our biggest stars are also the most anonymous.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:04 PM

I think coldwine's statements are pretty accurate. There are times when you'll happen to luckily stumble upon an impressive house music set within the confines of a mainstream or "exclusive guestlist/VIP" type of club, but this is not usually the norm. You see, the people at those clubs usually don't hit up clubs for the music....they'd rather drink, and bump n grind to familiar tunes (read: pop hits from the radio) while trying to pick up women (this is why some guys go to these clubs), or just to be in some exclusive "scene". Either that or these people are just out there hanging out with their friends. So at a lot of these clubs you're going to tend to hear the Top 40 hits that you hear day in and day out on stations like B96 (96.3 FM). Again, like I said you may get lucky at times since Chicago is known as a city that is known for a decent electronic house/trance type of scene. NOW.....as coldwine said, if you hit up a more underground type of scene, and I believe SmartBar in Wrigleyville is one of the venues that may qualify, you'll probably hear some really good house music. And even at the more mainstream venues, keep in mind that the entire character of the crowd and club can change depending on the promoters that are in charge for the night. If the promoter one night is promoting a reputed house DJ's set (or a concert), you may be in for a musical treat that night rather than your typical Top 40 selection. Nightclubs rely on such promoters for their marketing and in order to bring in a steady stream of patrons (and revenue) into their clubs. If you want to know just how much of an impact the "promoter" can have on the crowd that you'll find on a given night in a club, consider this. If the promoter is promoting an "Asian night" at such and such club, expect the crowd to be 95%+ Asian in the nightclub that night. It's going to feel completely different than if the promoter on another night promotes the event to more of a mixed crowd. In the Lincoln Park area, promoters are almost not needed....the bars will predictably attract the area's yuppie Chad & Trixie crowd with plenty of DePaul kids thrown into the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
If you're trying to find the best "clubs" in Chicago (or especially Detroit), you're thinking like someone from the east or west coasts.

True talent, and what is easily the best music, is showcased at the grittier places that aren't typically clubs. You have to move in that crowd to find out where the biggest House scene is happening... House is called House (and Factory) because it started in abandoned homes and factories where people could party to death without fear of the police finding them.

As mentioned above, you have to be very dedicated in the group to find out where it's happening. For a long while, I used to be, but those winter nights speeding along the freeways and away from the police bust just got to me for some reason

Welcome to the midwest. Anti-glamour, anti-glitz, anti-having-to-deal-with-pretentious-displays-of-showing-off. Our biggest stars are also the most anonymous.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 PM

55 posts, read 274,713 times
Where can I read more about the house/electro scene in Chicago? Are there any forums?

Old 08-06-2007, 12:35 AM

I'm not too aware of any online forums, but there could be something out there. Once you move to Chicago, if you're in the city, you'll be able to pick up some free publications on the street. One such publication is "UR Chicago" magazine, which is distributed free in the city on a monthly basis. You can find them pretty much all over the place. Another publication that MAY have some listings would be the Chicago Reader, but again I'm not so sure about that. RedEye newspaper (daily, free at some locations, 25 cents at others), might list venues & DJ's to a certain extent. Finally, I know for sure if you stop by a store like Gramaphone Records on Clark St. in the Lakeview / Lincoln Park area, you'll be sure to run into many DJ's and music collectors who will have a good idea of the house/electro scene in Chicago. There will surely be some fliers sitting around the store too that some of the DJ's may have left behind. Websites like Yelp.com, Metromix.com, and some other similar sites will have user reviews and venue reviews for Chicago venues. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeChicagoan View Post
Where can I read more about the house/electro scene in Chicago? Are there any forums?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:11 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,868 times
Smartbar FOR SURE.

Also Lava Lounge but it was relocated to a smaller space, but its quite cozy and has a bangin' sound system.

Darkroom also does a couple house nights a month.

I stay away from garbage like Soundbar, Vision, Crobar etc etc.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM

204 posts, read 761,475 times
Thanks for the advice everyone. What are the top Chicago DJs in the Chicago area? Any big clubs that have good music? Sounds like all the good places are smaller, which is ok. Thanks again everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: