Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I apologize if this has already been answered a hundred times over.

I'm seriously contemplating moving to Chicago in the next year or 2. I will be able to transfer with my company, which will be expanding rapidly in the Chicago area in the same timeframe. I will have the luxury of choosing between a few locations, so I'm open to many housing options in the Chicago area.

Here's the very detailed criteria:
- I want a safe neighborhood to live in (don't we all?) I currently live in ATL and I am street smart. I know that there are dangers everywhere, but there are some areas that I would obviously want to avoid as a 25 year old caucasian woman living alone in a new city
- I plan to utilize public transportation. However, I have absolutely no desire to get rid of my car
- I have 2 dogs, so I need a pedestrian friendly area that's good for walks and exploration both with my pups and solo
- I'm a driven, career-oriented young professional and I work long hours, so I go to bed early on work nights; I like to get out when I can. I don't want to live in an area overrun by drunk college kids or pretentious clubbers, but I don't want to be the only single chick in a neighborhood full of families, y'know? I'd like to stay in a place that gives me a healthy dose of what Chicago living is all about
- I currently pay $830/mo in rent, around $1100 with all housing expenses included. Staying in this range would be ideal. Anything cheaper would be fantastic, but not necessary.
-From the little research I've done on housing, it's becoming apparent that I need to specify that I need a washer/dryer (or at least a hookup), a modern kitchen with an oven, stove, fridge, & dishwasher, and I expect a 1 bedroom apt that actually has a separate bedroom, rather than a "1 bedroom" that is in reality a cramped studio

I want to move to Chicago because I want to experience living in a big city... Atlanta doesn't really compare to other cities that I have traveled to. I'm not planning on staying in Chicago long-term (I'm anticipating 2-5 years, but who knows?!) so I want to make the most of my time there and experience all that the city has to offer. I'm a hyper-planner, so I want to research and gather as much info as possible and then take a short trip up to Chicago to check everything out in person. I've been up there twice for short trips, once just for fun and to do touristy things, and last year for Lollapalooza. Those trips really left me wanting more!

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all can give me. I've never made a big move before, but I'm excited to start a new phase of my life in Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 AM

61 posts, read 72,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipzuki View Post
From the little research I've done on housing, it's becoming apparent that I need to specify that I need a washer/dryer (or at least a hookup), a modern kitchen with an oven, stove, fridge, & dishwasher,
That probably is not going to happen in the price range you have.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 AM

439 posts, read 954,669 times
The washer and dryer in a small apartment is probably wishful thinking. Also many buildings don't allow dogs or only dogs below a certain weight. If you want to have a car I'd avoid the lakefront neighborhoods since it seems nearly impossible to find a street space and renting a space will probably cost you $150 a month. You may want to look at West Lakeview, Roscoe Village, North Center, Lincoln Square, Andersonville...

Are you going to be working downtown or elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: