Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,673 times

Advertisements

I had planned on having a cookout this Saturday 6/18 but have since discovered that this weekend is the Puerto Rican parade. I remember Western being packed last year and was wondering if I should cancel. I live on Artesian between Division and North, near Hirsh Ave. Most people are going to cab it over or take public transport but some are planning on driving. Will parking even be an option? Also please let me know if I should cancel? I think the Parade starts on Division and Western and goes to HP. I told people to come over around 4pm, will it clear up by then? We are not of Puerto Rican decent either. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 12:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweiss7 View Post
I had planned on having a cookout this Saturday 6/18 but have since discovered that this weekend is the Puerto Rican parade. I remember Western being packed last year and was wondering if I should cancel. I live on Artesian between Division and North, near Hirsh Ave. Most people are going to cab it over or take public transport but some are planning on driving. Will parking even be an option? Also please let me know if I should cancel? I think the Parade starts on Division and Western and goes to HP. I told people to come over around 4pm, will it clear up by then? We are not of Puerto Rican decent either. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure I've had people over in the past during the parade. I live pretty much exactly where you do, on Campbell. The weekend is a little more rowdy, but hasn't had much impact on me personally.

I'm planning on having friends over during the evening on the 18th as well. Now that I now the parade is that day, I may block a couple parking spaces for them (then move my car to the garage when they arrive).

I avoid all the festivities on the 18th because I worry about violence, but other than that, I don't do anything special. I am a little more cautious after reading about the two shootings on the 4500 block of W. Hirsh Monday and Tuesday; not because those were close to my house, but because they were clearly gang related and will likely insight more violence this weekend when people are gathered together.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 PM

172 posts, read 438,450 times
I totally avoid any area close to the park during the PR parade. There is so much traffic and so many streets blocked off that it is impossible to drive more than 5miles/hr. That area seems to be a little crazy the whole weekend. I'm not saying you should cancel your party just be aware that it may be difficult for people to get to your house. Are you friendly with any neighbors? You may want to ask them how crowded/crazy it gets.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM

25 posts, read 47,355 times
Wow what do you expect moving to Humboldt Park...why is that surprising to you? You can't change these neighborhoods no matter how much gentrification occurs. You knew what you were getting yourself into by moving other there

Old 06-15-2012, 03:29 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrose7770 View Post
Wow what do you expect moving to Humboldt Park...why is that surprising to you? You can't change these neighborhoods no matter how much gentrification occurs. You knew what you were getting yourself into by moving other there
What are you talking about?! The person doesn't seem upset or angry they are just looking for some suggestions and advice. You sure have a nasty attidude. The OP has a very valid point and it makes sense why he/she would be asking this.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,010 times
Quote:
Uhh...The OP didn't say they were surprised, or wanted to change the neighborhood, or didn't know what they were getting into. Did you mean to post this in a different thread or something?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:01 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,467 times
Quote:
Not to mention that this thread is also a year old now and I doubt the OP is checking in anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago