Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM

27 posts, read 73,413 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving up to Chicago around the first of August. For awhile I was looking at living around Lakeview or Lincoln Park (I'm a recent grad) but Edgewater to me seems more affordable, and I was never much of a bar-fly; and nightlife seems like the big appeal of those areas. I also know one downside is I'll be further from the Loop but I could manage a longer commute if it means I save money.

I will not and don't plan on getting a car so I need to be next to an El stop. So far what I've found, apartments around the Bryn Mawr stop seem be around 700-800 dollars, which to me seems almost to good to be true for what appears to be fairly decent apartments. I was looking at getting either a studio or one bedroom. I don't expect to live in Trump building but I don't want a thousand roach roommates either.

Ideally I was looking at spending around 700-850 for a studio or 1 bedroom. That was getting me an apartment a slightly bigger then a walk-in closet in Lakeview. How much apartment can I expect for that price in Edgewater? Or better yet, do you think I could find an apartment that is decent for less?

Also if anyone wants to mention areas to avoid in Edgewater that would be much appreciated too.

Or if anyone thinks Edgewater would be terrible for a 23 year old male, let me know that too!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
$700-$850 is plenty of money to get a 1BR in Edgewater. I live in the Andersonville neighborhood of Edgewater and I rent the top of a two flat for $825. Closer to Broadway or east of it, you should be able to find even more deals.

This may help you in your search:

http://business.edgewater.org/list/c...s-condominiums

Most of the area is fine. Some would say the Bryn Mawr red line stop gets sketchy at night, and while there are odd characters milling about, it's usually fine.

Check out the Chamber's website and see if you have any more questions.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 PM

27 posts, read 73,413 times
I think I've come to realize everyone thinks every El stop gets "sketchy" at night.

Thanks for the link!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsm View Post
I think I've come to realize everyone thinks every El stop gets "sketchy" at night.

Thanks for the link!
lol, this may be true. I'm sure just about any el stop has weirdos milling about at odd hours. However, I've had the luxury of living off the brown line, so the change back to the red was unnerving. The truth is that you could certainly do far worse than any of the edgewater el stops.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 PM

80 posts, read 268,543 times
Your reasoning makes perfect sense to me. Lower rents and easy el access are great features. Personally I would much prefer a one bedroom over a studio. Buildings with studios are sometimes not as nice in terms of the neighbors you will be dealing with. Also, a studio would get kinda cramped over our long cold winters where you tend to stay indoors more. jmho

Old 06-24-2011, 05:34 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,576,262 times
The range you gave is pretty close to reality, also look to see what utilities, if any are included, heat, electricity and cable can add up quick. I think if you can afford to bump up to 850-900 you'll get a little more polished place. Bryn Mawr is a nice stop, Berwyn is fairly quiet these days as well, avoid living around Thorndale. If you travel downtown regularly, get to know the 147 bus.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
I think Andersonville in Edgewater would be fine for a 23 year old male. Plenty of affordable apartments around in a nice, safe area. Also Clark Street has great retail, bar, and restaurants.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:23 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
You can find any price/quality in that neighborhood. There are fancy new buildings and older ones with studios that are barely above $500.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:02 PM

43 posts, read 76,572 times
Default I lived there

Check 5630 N Sheridan. I loved it there. its right off the Lake. The L is 2 blocks away. Loyola is nearby so there's tons of ppl your age. My rent was only $835 which is great for being by the lake. I loved living over there. The doorman and everyone are very nice.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 PM

20 posts, read 59,737 times
I would recommend you to search and fix on a place as soon as possible.. The houses are getting filled like anything this summer... $850-$900 would fetch you a decent 1BR.. But - do not expect any modern kitchen equipment....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago