Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times

Advertisements

Another debacle because the CPD are so badly understaffed. The Pride Parade had to end early when police started to lose control of the crowd. They did the best they could, calling in officers from other districts, but that of course only left the rest of the city even more understaffed. Good job Rahm!

Windy City Times - A tale of two prides: Crowd control a problem at Chicago's Pride Parade - 8398
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:12 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Default that proves he's...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
One of his first public acts as mayor was to lie to us about why the North Avenue and Oak Street beaches were shut down on Memorial Day and to implicitly call those who were telling the truth of the matter liars. Same goes for the new police superintendent. Not a great way to start building trust among your subj-- erm, constituents.
HE;S got what it takes to be mayor of this Great City

Old 07-12-2011, 03:50 AM

427 posts, read 462,962 times
Never will Rahm be called "Da Mayor" by myself and a vast majority of other Chicagoans. He is simply the mayor, Rahm, Emanuel, or Rahm Emanuel.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:57 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Another debacle because the CPD are so badly understaffed. The Pride Parade had to end early when police started to lose control of the crowd. They did the best they could, calling in officers from other districts, but that of course only left the rest of the city even more understaffed. Good job Rahm!

Windy City Times - A tale of two prides: Crowd control a problem at Chicago's Pride Parade - 8398
What did Rahm have to do with this?? They had 50% more people show up than the previous record. 50%. More.

Was he suppose to hire 1,000 police on his first day on the job, give them all IOU's as paychecks and then put them on the street a week later?

I understand you don't like the man, but at least come to the table with a rational discussion.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What did Rahm have to do with this?? They had 50% more people show up than the previous record. 50%. More.

Was he suppose to hire 1,000 police on his first day on the job, give them all IOU's as paychecks and then put them on the street a week later?

I understand you don't like the man, but at least come to the table with a rational discussion.
Well I didn't express it well, but I really didn't mean Rahm could have prevented the fiasco at this years Pride Parade. Rather, I meant that these situations where the police are overwhelmed will only become more common because he refuses to hire more police.

I do specifically mean he won't hire more officers. His claims for putting more officers on the street are dubious at best. Half of them are coming from specialized units, which are probably valuable in their own right. The others are coming from desk jobs. Nothing against those officers, I'm sure they did a great job on patrol 20 or 30 years ago, and they're doing a great job now at their jobs in the station. However, I'm skeptical that they are presently qualified to spend the day chasing gang members around the city.

I do have to give credit where it's due, though. Canceling most city credit cards is certainly a step in the right direction.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:33 PM

396 posts, read 925,301 times
First off, I am a moderate Repub.. and I like Rahm.

Atleast he is attempting to curtail some of these out of control unions/ city workers (which is one reason the city is so bankrupt.) He did good hiring McCarthy (someone with a pair.. example: he vowed to destroy the Maniac Latin Disciples and dealt a huge blow to them last month). Its still early, but come on... Rahm was really the best you could get given the situation.

Also, its a nice little side note that Ari is his brother (and the basis of Ari Gold on Entourage... my favorite show!)

Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 PM

Plenty of money for patronage jobs, and no money to keep the ground from collapsing under Chicagoans feet.

SW Side homeowner hurt when sewer drain falls in -

Old 07-20-2011, 01:33 AM

427 posts, read 462,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Plenty of money for patronage jobs, and no money to keep the ground from collapsing under Chicagoans feet.

SW Side homeowner hurt when sewer drain falls in -
The problem is 311 is for the most part a joke. There is money to fix these problems but the layers of bureaucracy and incompetent departments are a joke. If you have a problem go directly to your alderman and it will be taken care of.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM

289 posts, read 896,823 times
I like how is is pissing everybody off at some point or another. And the people who disagree on one topic (city worker cuts) usually agree on others (calling out the Alderman for having six cops on his detail and city credit card cuts). Nobody has accused him of being in cahoots with anybody, unlike Daley.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmosBanks View Post
I like how is is pissing everybody off at some point or another. And the people who disagree on one topic (city worker cuts) usually agree on others (calling out the Alderman for having six cops on his detail and city credit card cuts). Nobody has accused him of being in cahoots with anybody, unlike Daley.
And yet he has no qualms about doing business with contractors who took part in job-rigging schemes, notwithstanding the inspector general's recommendations.

Inspector general clashes with Emanuel officials on contracting ban - chicagotribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: