Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:44 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,194 times

Advertisements

Seriously, i can't wait to move, BUT the one thing i will miss the most about NYC is the pizza. any suggestions for some nyc style thin crust pizza places worth hitting up? we'll be there next week for apt research, school visiting, job networking, OH and to watch the Yankees lose onThurs night

i would say i'd miss the Yankees, but i guess we're leaving ny at a good time
will miss NY Rangers hockey, though.

Last edited by linicx; 09-05-2010 at 03:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 10:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Well, at least you have another Original 6 team here in Chicago, but theyre far more painful to watch than the Rangers, LOL. Im keeping my fingers crossed that the newly signed Toews will be the spark the Hawks need to get back into contention.

Anyways, regarding pizza, there arent too many places out here in the burbs that serve NYC style. There are LOTS of great pizza joints though, that serve killer thin-crust (Giordanos, Rosatis, etc), although not NYC style. I think the closest thing youll find to NYC out here is Garibaldi's or Sbarros. LOL

Old 05-29-2007, 10:34 AM

don't get me started on the rangers...ack. i'll still be loyal to them... they'd be seriously lost without my man, lundqvist. but the yankees... well this is so sad so early in the season. thank god for roger clemens. KIDDING. sadly i think torre needs to go - they need to wake up and get out of this slump. this is so utterly pathetic.

um, sbarro's? are you kidding? oh well.. i guess i can do what my urbana-resident brother does and just fill up on it whenever he's back in nj/ny. it's pretty funny that it's the main thing i'll miss though...good old brooklyn pizza. sigh. doesn't make me want to stay here though.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:59 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
don't get me started on the rangers...ack. i'll still be loyal to them... they'd be seriously lost without my man, lundqvist. but the yankees... well this is so sad so early in the season. thank god for roger clemens. KIDDING. sadly i think torre needs to go - they need to wake up and get out of this slump. this is so utterly pathetic.

um, sbarro's? are you kidding? oh well.. i guess i can do what my urbana-resident brother does and just fill up on it whenever he's back in nj/ny. it's pretty funny that it's the main thing i'll miss though...good old brooklyn pizza. sigh. doesn't make me want to stay here though.
Yeah, Lundqvist and Nylander ARE the Rangers. LOL Oh well, at least you still fill your stadium. As for the Yanks, its still pretty early, they may make a late season comeback, who knows? Here in Chicago, youll learn real fast to pick either the Cubs or the Sox, there is a bitter rivalry between the two.

Back to pizza again.... Im sure someone who lives in Chicago proper might be able to help you out more than me as far as NYC style pizza joints go. I do recommend Garibaldi's though. Other joints you might want to check out are: Genos East, Rosatis, Giordanos, Lou Malnati's, Pizzerio Uno, etc.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:30 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,527 times
i've converted to pequod's, at least for the deep-dish.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Default ewww

no offense but pizzeria uno??? ewww. in general, i dislike deep dish. i guess i'll just get my fill of pizza when i come back and visit fam and friends, etc. seriously, if you are considering moving to ny, i can give you a list of my top fave pizza joints in manhattan and brooklyn. we don't have the yankees going for us, but pizza, yup.

i know all about rivalries - i've seen yanks/red sox at fenway. and i'm a die hard yankees fan, regardless of how badly they are doing at the moment... i'd never convert to another team. i don't think it's impossible for them to come from behind and take the wild card. it's possible. maybe if they get rid of torre? i dunno. oh wait, but we have clemens... that's all the announcers talk about anymore because they have nothing else to say. i can joke around about giambi and how ridiculous clemens is, but i love the yankees. always have, always will, no matter what my zip code. same with the rangers. you can take the new yorker out of new york, but you can't take new york out of the new yorker. i'm sure my accent will never fade lol.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 PM

84 posts, read 556,026 times
I always disliked deep dish pizza too. I had some really bad deep dish pizzas from Pizza Hut when they used to make their crappy ones. I visit Chicago yearly since I'm only 3 hours or so away and I always make sure to get a true Chicago deep dish from local joints. I really can't give you any specific restaurants, but I'm sure others can. You need to try a real Chicago deep dish and I think you'd change your mind.

Also, let me recommend the absolute best seafood place I've ever been too. My dad first ate at one in Houston and then when we were in Chicago once, he took us there. Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen in Arlington Heights is absolutely amazing. It is an absolute must whenever I go to the Chicago area.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:22 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
For NY-style pizza, check out Cafe Luigi in Lincoln Park, 2548 N. Clark St. The small dining room is kind of a hole-in-the-wall, but the pizza is good.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
seriously, i can't wait to move, BUT the one thing i will miss the most about nyc is the pizza. any suggestions for some nyc style thin crust pizza places worth hitting up? we'll be there next week for apt research, school visiting, job networking, OH and to watch the yankees lose on thurs night
If I understand NY-style pizza, try Bacci Pizzeria. They have a few locations scattered around town. They serve pizza by the slice, and the slices are huge, sliced from a pizza about the size of a skipper's wheel on a yacht. They don't claim to be NY-style, but here's where I think (but am not sure) it's approximately done in New-York style: the crust is thin, but not cardboard-thin or crumbly-crispy. You can fold it in half to eat it.

Another great place for thin-crust (though not necessarily New York style) is Piece. They also make their own beer there that's rather good.

Oh, and Pizzeria Uno sucks. The two originals in Chicago (Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due) are actually OK, though definitely not my favorite for Chicago-style. But I have never been to one of the franchise locations outside the city that did not suck. And it seems the further you get from Chicago, the more it sucks. I ate at the Pittsburgh location once and I couldn't finish a single slice, it was that bad. To get a true sense of Chicago-style stuffed pizza from a local heavyweight, I highly suggest Gino's East. Edwardo's is also at the top of my list but it's more of a small-time player in the market. Lou Malnatti's is pretty OK too, and in my opinion, one of the most prolific in the area -- Giordano's -- blows.

And don't get me started on Old Chicago. Those jags aren't even from Chicago -- they're based out of Denver and run by the same folks who own the aptly named Rock Bottom brewpub chain. And they're giving Chicago-style pizza a bad name. The fact that there's only one Old Chicago within 100 miles of the city should tell you all you need to know about its authenticity.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:52 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,258 times
When we come to Chicago we go to Malnatis, Pequods or Burts Place in Morton Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago