Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,637 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband got a job in chicago and we are planning to move from florida.
His work is in Downtown chicago (North chicago Avenue).
We are searching for an apt in areas where we have indian community and closest metra station for commute.
Through some research i heard Mount prospect in and around is good place.
Can someone please tell me some decent apartments in areas like mount prospect ,arlington heights and schaumburg which are close to metra(walkable distance to metra will be great)..

Thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
How old are you? What besides Indians are you looking for? Why are you exclusively looking at suburbs?

If your husband is working on North Avenue, it may be difficult to get there from a metra ride.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 5,637 times
Default moving to chicago

Hi Vlajos

Downtown areas look expensive so i am looking at suburbs like Schaumburg,Naperville,Palatine apts closer to metra to commute..

Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
Hi Lilly,

I don't know if you are aware there is a "Chicago Suburbs" forum. You have posted within the city of Chicago forum and I think you will receive better information about the suburban apartments if you post in the other forum. Good luck to you.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM

815 posts, read 1,859,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
How old are you? What besides Indians are you looking for? Why are you exclusively looking at suburbs?

If your husband is working on North Avenue, it may be difficult to get there from a metra ride.
It looks like they are actually on North Chicago avenue. Which doesn't make sense, b/c Chicago Ave runs East/West... as does North Ave. I'm assuming she means Chicago Ave, as I don't really consider North ave Downtown... Actually Chicago ave is debatable whether it is downtown or not also... :P

If he is on North Ave, depending on location they could take UP-N line and a matching North Shore burb to North Clybourn. Or similar then just catch a taxi from Ogilsvie from other lines. If he is making big bucks then another 6 dollar cab ride isn't going to hurt him too much. Or a 20 minute walk from Ogilsvie. It can certainly be done and still save money over driving ya know.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,898 times
I think we need to straighten out a few things.

1. Is your husband working on North Avenue, or Chicago Avenue?

2. Are you looking to live in the city or the suburbs? There are a lot of city neighborhoods (not downtown) that are affordable and exciting places to live. Some of the suburbs you've mentioned can be just as expensive for renters as city neighborhoods.

3. Do you have children, or will schools be an issue in the future?

4. Why is the Metra all that necessary? It's really for commuting from the suburbs. The L will serve you well if you decide to live in the city. In fact, unless your husband is working in the Loop (from your description, I don't think he is), the Metra probably isn't going to get him there.

There is a sizable Indian community in West Ridge, a neighborhood on the far north side of the city. I believe some of the northern suburbs (Skokie, Morton Grove, etc.) also have Indian communities, but I have no personal knowledge of these.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Some of the suburbs you've mentioned can be just as expensive for renters as city neighborhoods.

This is something often overlooked. Sure you can get *houses* cheaper in the suburbs, but renting a 1 or 2br apartment??? I've helped friends plenty of time looking for places and many.. MANY of the suburbs are significantly more expensive than even prime neighborhoods in Chicago. Probably just lack of availability.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
This is something often overlooked. Sure you can get *houses* cheaper in the suburbs, but renting a 1 or 2br apartment??? I've helped friends plenty of time looking for places and many.. MANY of the suburbs are significantly more expensive than even prime neighborhoods in Chicago. Probably just lack of availability.
Especially if you add commuting costs to the equation.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Especially if you add commuting costs to the equation.
No doubt. Price any apartments in the North Shore burbs, or places like Schaumburg, Naperville, Wheaton, DG, Elk Grove, Arlington Heights, etc...They are usually just as or more expensive as working in Chicago. Virtually all of your West/Northwest and NorthShore burbs are going to be priced like that from what I have seen. When you save money is pricing say a 4br house out there. I think some of the south suburbs are priced reasonably, but then again you could probably downsize your place and lose the car into the city for more savings.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:14 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,317,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Hi Lilly,

I don't know if you are aware there is a "Chicago Suburbs" forum. You have posted within the city of Chicago forum and I think you will receive better information about the suburban apartments if you post in the other forum. Good luck to you.
Agree, but the Suburbs forum is basically made up of the same posters in the City forum also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago