Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
I'm thinking Fullerton & Kedzie or Fullerton & Kimball would be good.
For a commute to DePaul?

To OP: Familiarize yourself with the CTA Red and Brown Lines on the north side. That's where you want to focus your search because they'll both get you to both campuses relatively efficiently. Any further than the Western or Rockwell stop on the Brown or the Brywn Mawr stop on the Red and the commute starts getting a little long. The neighborhood around the Lawrence and especially Wilson Red Line stops is a little rocky, so use caution in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,576,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For a commute to DePaul?

right. 1200 month, 2 bedroom commuting to Depaaul means brown line or red line, Lincoln Square, Lakeview, Edgewater, etc.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM

I think what jwaiter's thinking is the Fullerton bus to the LP campus and Blue Line to the Loop campus, which would be a pretty good idea if the Fullerton bus had its own dedicated lane. But that's a pretty excruciating bus ride even if Fullerton is 4 lanes most of the way.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:47 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
The OP may be afraid that the north side neighborhoods that are being recommended are monolithically white. They're not. A black woman would be welcome in any of them.

A $1200 budget for a 2 bedroom on the north side is fine but not lavish, hence the going west on Fullerton idea. Apartments that are convenient to the Brown Line tend to be on the expensive side.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 AM

Ah yes, I did miss the part where the OP is black. And while virtually no neighborhood in Chicago is "monolithically white" there are a some that are overwhelmingly so, and a good number of them happen to be along the lake front on the North side -- essentially, the neighborhoods we've mostly been recommending.

As Larry suggests, you'd be fine in any of them, though you shouldn't expect anyone to trip over themselves or each other to show you how welcome you are. If you prefer a more mixed area, Uptown and the Loyola campus areas are your best bets, but again, do be careful around the Wilson/Lawrence stops in Uptown, that area is a little weird. That and be advised the commute from the Loyola area to the downtown campus can be lengthy, pushing an hour on a bad day.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ah yes, I did miss the part where the OP is black. And while virtually no neighborhood in Chicago is "monolithically white" there are a some that are overwhelmingly so, and a good number of them happen to be along the lake front on the North side -- essentially, the neighborhoods we've mostly been recommending.

As Larry suggests, you'd be fine in any of them, though you shouldn't expect anyone to trip over themselves or each other to show you how welcome you are...
I've lived in Lincoln Park and Lakeview and I am quite certain that middle-class blacks are welcome. The part of Lincoln Park that is almost entirely white is also very, very rich, and differs greatly from the traditionally "racist" white working-class areas in the city's periphery. In Lakeview I had many black neighbors including both American blacks and immigrants.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I've lived in Lincoln Park and Lakeview and I am quite certain that middle-class blacks are welcome. The part of Lincoln Park that is almost entirely white is also very, very rich, and differs greatly from the traditionally "racist" white working-class areas in the city's periphery. In Lakeview I had many black neighbors including both American blacks and immigrants.
Yeah, the north side is generally more about socio-economic status than race. If you are a poor black person stay away, if you are a college-educated black person please hang out and make us feel diversified. That type of mentality.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Yeah, the north side is generally more about socio-economic status than race. If you are a poor black person stay away, if you are a college-educated black person please hang out and make us feel diversified. That type of mentality.
+1

Old 08-17-2011, 02:10 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
Are any of the people claiming the Lakeview (etc) types are accepting of black people so long as they're in an equivalent socioeconomic class any race other than white? Curiosity nags.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:14 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Are any of the people claiming the Lakeview (etc) types are accepting of black people so long as they're in an equivalent socioeconomic class any race other than white? Curiosity nags.
White as bone here. I'm speaking from my own observations as a northsider with a decent number of black friends. In Lincon Park if you are a black guy wearing FUBU you might get looks or given crap by a bouncer. If you are black and wearing Bannana Republic no one will think twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago