Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 02:47 PM

76 posts, read 278,513 times

Advertisements

I'm an Asian male in mid-20's. I like the outdoor stuffs like hiking, camping, snowboarding, chilling by the beach ... I also enjoy the nightlife, meeting new people, exploring new cultures, places and weird/bizarre things. I'm pretty outgoing and open-minded.

I'm currently living in Las Vegas. I think I am sick of the heat, had enough partying in the best clubs in the world, tried all the great restaurants the strip has to offer, watched all the great shows, fooled around with enough CA gals and tourists in Vegas , hiked most of the trails around NV and AZ. It has been very fun but it's time to go back to a big metropolitan city. I'm psyched about moving to Chicago in a few weeks. I will be working in the Loop. I will probably buy a house/condo soon. I have been to Chi-town many times and actually lived there for a very short time so I'm familiar with the area. I have a few questions.

1. How is the housing market? Stabilizing or going lower?
2. Where do the 9-5 in mid-20's professionals hang out?
3. Where to meet Asian Hotties? Are there any bars/clubs/lounges where they frequent? Are there a lot of them in Chicago?
4. Are white women into Asian guys in Chicago?
5. Where can you go for hiking or camping outside Chicago?
6. What is the best way find out everything Chicago has to offer?

Thanks.

Last edited by macno0b; 08-30-2011 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Other people can answer the rest...

But as far as 3 and 4 I don't think it's really an issue. There are a good amount of Asian women in Chicago and I've known some Asian guys with pretty attractive white girlfriends.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:27 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
I will answer number 5. There are tons of options for hiking and camping in many of the cool state parks in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana. Due to Chicago's proximity to all of those, we have a lot of great outdoor options within a few hours drive.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 PM

70 posts, read 96,458 times
Hi macnooB,

Good questions

I'm no expert but I believe it still going lower. It is different for each neighborhood though. The closer you are to downtown the more stable it is.

Many do hang out in Lincoln Park but it is more of a preppy/frat crowd there. You might want to try some River North hot spots like Manor, Entourage, The Underground, Paris Studio, Bull and Bear, Sunda, etc.

3. Where to meet Asian Hotties? Are there any bars/clubs/lounges where they frequent? Are there a lot of them in Chicago?

Hmm not too sure on this one. I'm Sicilian :-)

I would say yes. You will probably have better luck downtown or in Bucktown/Wicker Park than in Lincoln Park/Lakeview.

A. Forest preserves in the suburbs surrounding the city.
B. Great State Park in northern Indiana accessible via the South Shore train line - the Indiana Dunes State Park.
C. Tons of great state parks in Wisconsin.

It's pretty flat here so the hiking might be different than you are used to experiencing.

The Short List:

A. Chicago Reader newspaper
B. Explore Chicago city of Chicago site
C. Time Out Chicago
D. Metromix
E. My blog: Ransacked Muse

Welcome to this wonderful city. Be sure to bring a winter coat and boots!

All Best,
Kristy

Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macno0b View Post
I'm an Asian male in mid-20's. I like the outdoor stuffs like hiking, camping, snowboarding, chilling by the beach ... I also enjoy the nightlife, meeting new people, exploring new cultures, places and weird/bizarre things. I'm pretty outgoing and open-minded.

I'm currently living in Las Vegas. I think I am sick of the heat, had enough partying in the best clubs in the world, tried all the great restaurants the strip has to offer, watched all the great shows, fooled around with enough CA gals and tourists in Vegas , hiked most of the trails around NV and AZ. It has been very fun but it's time to go back to a big metropolitan city. I'm psyched about moving to Chicago in a few weeks. I will be working in the Loop. I will probably buy a house/condo soon. I have been to Chi-town many times and actually lived there for a very short time so I'm familiar with the area. I have a few questions.

Thanks.
1. Rents seem to be creeping up. Home purchase prices look to still be hovering near their post-crash lows.
2. Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown, River North, West Loop, South Loop to some extent.
3. Which Asian? South or East? Pretty much any east Asian who is not an immigrant has integrated into the broader "white" culture. And no, there are not many here (as a percentage anyway), though we do have a fairly sizable Chinatown that is still solidly Chinese. Interracial dating between Caucasians and what few East Asians we have here is very common. South Asian is a slightly different story, their arrival here being more recent and so they are not quite as integrated into broader society yet. That will probably change within a generation.
4. As noted above, East Asians are basically thought of as "honorary whites" here because there never really has been enough of an East Asian critical mass to become a sub-set of broader society in any meaningful way, so by the first generation they're pretty thoroughly integrated.
5. Wisconsin if you live on he North side of the city, Michigan if you live on the South side.
6. Get here and explore the city; ask long-time residents for suggestions and guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago