Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 16,512 times

Advertisements

I am coming into ORD and need to rent a car for a few days. I know the cars at ORD are really expensive. Are there any rental agencies along the blue line that are easy to get to that might be cheaper than paying all the airport taxes, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 02:13 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal24 View Post
I am coming into ORD and need to rent a car for a few days. I know the cars at ORD are really expensive. Are there any rental agencies along the blue line that are easy to get to that might be cheaper than paying all the airport taxes, etc?
The airport rates are sometimes cheaper than the city rates, even including the extra taxes. It's rare that there's such a big difference that it's worth the hassle of going to a location elsewhere if you're arriving by air anyway. I used to actually go to O'Hare to rent cars sometimes because it was cheaper than the neighborhood places.

That said, there are several car places in the building adjacent to the Clark/Lake station downtown, so if you're staying downtown anyway, that might be an acceptable option. If course if you're staying downtown anyway, you're going to be paying $30-$40/night for parking that rental car, which would pretty much wipe out any tax savings.

If you tell us where you'll be staying, and why you need a car, we might have better suggestions.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The airport rates are sometimes cheaper than the city rates, even including the extra taxes. It's rare that there's such a big difference that it's worth the hassle of going to a location elsewhere if you're arriving by air anyway.
Not so in this case. The cheapest I could find at the airport was $66/day plus taxes, downtown was $30/day. I ended up finding a car from Budget on west huron. Looking at google maps it appears that it is only 1-2 blocks away from a blue line stop.

BTW, I am renting a car to go to a town in Wisconsin for a few days. It was easier to fly into ORD instead of Milwaukee. So parking fees don't apply.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:54 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
I'd suggest utilizing Hotwire to see if there are better rates available at ORD itself. If you are Wisconsin-bound, another idea could be to take the Blue Line downtown, then hop on a northbound Amtrak Hiawatha train (might be about $20 tho), and get out at the MKE Airport stop and rent a car up there if it's cheaper there. Honestly that is more trouble than it's probably worth. Going back to suggestion #1, check Hotwire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal24 View Post

Old 09-17-2011, 02:58 PM

Hotwire is showing $63/day at ORD as the cheapest. I think I'll take the blue line to the chicago stop and walk to budget from there.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:02 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,262 times
I use this site all the time. It automatically applies the lowest available coupon/discount code to your rental. Just fill in the dates/city on the right side of the homepage using the "smartbook" feature. No need to worry about reading the coupon/discount offers on the site. It has worked well for me:

Car Rental Savers, car rental coupons and car rental discounts!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:23 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
There's an Enterprise office on Milwaukee Ave. just South of the Western Blue Line stop. I have no isea if it's cheaper than O'Hare, but it would be worth checking if O'Hare prices really are high.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:44 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,905 times
Also check the "off brand" car rentals at ORD, like Ace.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:19 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Amtrak Hiawatha train (might be about $20 tho), and get out at the MKE Airport... check Hotwire.
Easier if not cheaper: Wisconsin Coach runs an hourly bus from O'Hare's bus/shuttle center to MKE. I think it's $27, so a bit more than Amtrak but without having to go downtown (or wait for a shuttle at MKE).

Hotwire/Kayak/other aggregators also check the off-brand rentals and, if you so specify, the off-airport ones as well. The off-airport ones tend to be closed on weekends, oddly.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Interesting. Anytime I needed a rental car, it was cheaper at O'Hare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago