Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,899,908 times

Advertisements

thoughts?

Kinzie to get Chicago

it's still under construction as of 7:30 am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,266,074 times
motorists won't like it at all, but it's a step in the right direction IMHO.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 AM

537 posts, read 1,036,846 times
Cyclists will love it, non-bikers will complain...pretty standard in any cycling discussion. As someone who rides my bike into work often I think it's a great idea, and having the bike lane closest to the curb is the only way bike lanes should be built. This impacts motorists the least and is safest for cyclists.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:17 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,235,751 times
Well I'm glad that the ones they are putting on stony island are ending at 77th because with that crazy intersection at 79th, that would be a recipe for plenty of accidents/deaths.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 AM

152 posts, read 495,855 times
For me, it's huge. Weather permitting, I take my bike to work and use that corridor all the time. I always took Kinzie because it used to be the "road less traveled," but not anymore. It's very busy during rush hour and have had more than my fair share of near misses. Every bicyclist's worst nightmare is getting "doored," when someone in a parked car ahead of you opens their door right in front of you. Some guy in an F-150 parked on east-bound Kinzie swung open his door, giving me seconds to slam on the brakes. I did hit it a bit and he looked at me like I was crazy. A protected bike lane on Kinzie will be a God-send for me and the many other bicyclists I see every morning using that street. Hope it eventually goes all the way to Wabash, just under Trump.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,121,750 times
Love it.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM

I used to cut through the west Loop all the time coming from the NW to get to the South Loop.

Then when the building boom was at its peak/most reckless I totally gave up on it, as the streets were always a disaster.

This seems like a great idea, but I am still puzzled about the "protected lane" designation - paint isn't protection in my book, a small curb would be. Anyone know if that's coming as part of the plan?

CDOT did a great job keeping this project under wraps, took everyone I knew by surprise!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 AM

537 posts, read 1,036,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I used to cut through the west Loop all the time coming from the NW to get to the South Loop.

Then when the building boom was at its peak/most reckless I totally gave up on it, as the streets were always a disaster.

This seems like a great idea, but I am still puzzled about the "protected lane" designation - paint isn't protection in my book, a small curb would be. Anyone know if that's coming as part of the plan?

CDOT did a great job keeping this project under wraps, took everyone I knew by surprise!
The lane is nearest to the curb, with parked cars next then moving vehicles. So it's protected for now by parked cars. I hear eventually there will be a permanent barrier.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
The lane is nearest to the curb, with parked cars next then moving vehicles. So it's protected for now by parked cars. I hear eventually there will be a permanent barrier.
Ah, I got it - as of this morning in addition to the ongoing striping/CDOT work there were still a few cars parked in what will be eventually be the bike lane, so the bikes were all taking what I gather will eventually be the parking lane. Makes total sense now, thanks!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 AM

152 posts, read 495,855 times
The Kinzie pilot will use flexible posts, according to chicagoist. City to Set up First Protected Bike Lane Downtown: Chicagoist (http://tinyurl.com/3jd9net - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: