Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Obviously there is no point in debating whether a restaurant 'sucks' or not. I love Sultan's Market, personally. I could eat there three times a week. Similarly I've always had a good experience at Andalous, which is a good family run Moroccan restaurant. What is wrong with Hai Yen? Again it may not be 'the best' Vietnamese food in the city and may in fact be watered down, I don't know, but it's always good. Ever tried the Austrian Bakery? That guy is an Austrian and went to a renowned culinary school there and his food is very authentic and delicious. I don't like it but I have Asian friends--and their immigrant parents--who love Green Tea. For Thai, no, PS Bangkok or Thai Classic aren't Sticky Rice, but they are OK. If you're too hard core for the regular menu ask to order off the Thai menus; I'm sure they'd make you whatever you want. Maybe you can order the fried caterpillars in fluent Thai.
I've always been a fan of PS Bangkok and Thai Classic... and the one time I tried Andalous I was very impressed. Hai Yen is OK, too, although I've only been to the one up on Argyle.

Still have to try the Austrian Bakery... not sure why I haven't gotten around to that one yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
You just told a lifelong Chicagoan, and a southsider at that I think, to familiarize himself with Chicago street food.

I live on the near South Side now but was born and grew up on the West Side (beginning when it was still largely Irish, Jewish, Italian and Bohemian) and I've lived on the North Side too and am probably soon moving to Lincoln Square or there abouts. I've been around.

The first beef sandwich I remember was from Carm's on Cicero by Harrison but my favorite was a joint on Laramie near Lake called Linda's. Favorite pizza was Calderone's on Laramie at Jackson and Sorrento's on Madison and Menard. And my Dad often drove over to the Home Run Inn on 31st. when it was just a tavern selling pizzas. We used to get corned beef sandwiches from a Jewish deli at Quincy and Cicero and from Randall's, a Jewish deli at Madison and Central.

When we went out to Skips to see the hot cars we'd stop at Russell's BBQ on Thatcher or Johnnie's beef stand in Elmwood Park. Jim and Pete's at North and Harlem was a good pizza and Italian place too.

For Bohemian chow (which my Dad loved) we'd head down to 22nd St. and go to Klas or the Old Prague.

There was a very good place called the Atlantic on Grand east of Harlem that had good Irish and British Isles chow, I used to go there for fish and chips.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 10-27-2011 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Totally agree. I was going to mention Pasadita as a good north side taqueria, till I remembered that it's on the West Side. You want good Mexican food, you have to go to Pilsen or Little Village.
Oh come off it. That's just mindless homerism. Even in your post you say you know a good place on the West side, but you can only get good Mexican on the South Side in Pilsen or Little Village, you contradict yourself in your own post.There's plenty of good Mexican on the NW and N sides.

The stretch of Ashland around Division with the Supermercado, La Pasadita, Carniceria Leon, etc. is solid. There are a a number of good places South of there along Chicago Ave. as well.

The area around Western and Armitage is solid with Arturo's, Lazo's, Las Asadas, and Birrieria Estilo Jalisco. There's a lot of other good places in the area like Taqueria Moran and Don Chema.

I'm not going to get into all the other places throughout the Northside like Mixteco, Los Nopales, Frontera/Topo, XOCO, and on and on. Pilsen and Little Village certainly are neighborhoods that have solid Mexican restaurants, but if you think they are the only ones in the city you really need to get out more.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Hey, come on, don't know...

...once you get a fixed gear bicycle and jeans that hug your ankles your appreciation for all thing "authentic" increases 10,000x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Oh come off it. That's just mindless homerism. Even in your post you say you know a good place on the West side, but you can only get good Mexican on the South Side in Pilsen or Little Village, you contradict yourself in your own post.There's plenty of good Mexican on the NW and N sides.

The stretch of Ashland around Division with the Supermercado, La Pasadita, Carniceria Leon, etc. is solid. There are a a number of good places South of there along Chicago Ave. as well.

The area around Western and Armitage is solid with Arturo's, Lazo's, Las Asadas, and Birrieria Estilo Jalisco. There's a lot of other good places in the area like Taqueria Moran and Don Chema.

I'm not going to get into all the other places throughout the Northside like Mixteco, Los Nopales, Frontera/Topo, XOCO, and on and on. Pilsen and Little Village certainly are neighborhoods that have solid Mexican restaurants, but if you think they are the only ones in the city you really need to get out more.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:04 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Oh come off it. That's just mindless homerism. Even in your post you say you know a good place on the West side, but you can only get good Mexican on the South Side in Pilsen or Little Village, .

Pilsen and Little Village ARE on the West Side.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I'm liking the options we now have up here in Uptown. Even the lady w/ the tamale cart near Truman has better food than some of the Mexican restaurant in Lakeview. the restaurant on the corner of Lawrence and Clark is our favorite so far
Lindo Guadalajara? *shudder*

Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Pilsen and Little Village ARE on the West Side.
Good catch - thanks.

My point still stands though. If someone doesn't think there is any good Mexican outside of Pilsen or Little Village they need to get out more.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
There's plenty of good Mexican on the NW and N sides.
Las Asadas is AMAZING. Love their "house" black bean salsa, very spicy and unique.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Las Asadas is AMAZING. Love their "house" black bean salsa, very spicy and unique.
Did you know there's one in Avondale now, in the old Pepe's space?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:

Let's not forget Cemitas Puebla, in Humboldt Park, which has been profiled on "Check Please!" and "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" Their food is fantastic. I also have a hole in the wall taqueria around the corner from me, La Perla Tapatia, where I eat lunch at least twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago