Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
... I had the blessing of being served by an EXTREMELY kind sweetheart at a Chick Fil A in Buckhead as well (she happened to be African-American and probably in her late 30's or early to mid 40's. I am in my late 20's). She was treating me like I was a family member & the feeling was contagious. I've RARELY felt that kind of warm, fuzzy vibe or customer service in Chicago. Eating that delicious burger afterwards only made the feeling even stronger lol.
Wait, you got a burger at Chick-fil-A?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
So how many people are going back to Greenville, Greenwood and Yazoo City?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So how many people are going back to Greenville, Greenwood and Yazoo City?
Thats a VERY good point. African Americans in Chicago are NOT going to be going back to the little economically depressed towns of the Mississippi valley that their grandparents grew up in. That is definitely not going to happen.

Its generally the big southern cities, led by Atlanta (followed by Houston, possibly Charlotte, NC maybe even Memphis or New Orleans maybe although those last two are not exactly representive cities of the new souththat are attracting blacks from northern cities, even if those are the big cities that the closest to the areas their grandparents came from.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
You know. It's ironic. A young, caucasian bartender down in Buckhead (ATL) told me that the southern hospitality thing is complete BS, but his paying attention to my group & him giving us the time of day to me was hospitality in and of itself. There are many times that you won't even get that kind of attention in Chicago. Second, I had the blessing of being served by an EXTREMELY kind sweetheart at a Chick Fil A in Buckhead as well (she happened to be African-American and probably in her late 30's or early to mid 40's. I am in my late 20's). She was treating me like I was a family member & the feeling was contagious. I've RARELY felt that kind of warm, fuzzy vibe or customer service in Chicago. Eating that delicious burger afterwards only made the feeling even stronger lol.
Funny thing is that there are places like that in the Chicagoland area, where you feel a bit of that southern hospitality from African Americans, but they are really not in the city. Probably the south suburbs, as well as certain west suburbs.

I actually work with an older black woman in Oak Brook, and she is always referring to people as darlin' or honey. Also, there is a classy soul food place in Oak Park where I live, where the waiters/waitresses actually remembered me from the first time I was there, and it was like over a month passed. (Granted I was one of the few white people there the first time I went ha ha)

Even at the west cook Y I work out at, the staff many of them AA are very friendly.

I would say Atlanta is potentially a great city for those who love the lifestyle and built environment of the Chicago SUBURBS, but like a little bit more of the trendy nightlife and cultural amenities foud in the city fo Chicago itself. (Same can potentially go for Dallas or Houston too).

Some of the nightlife joints in the Chciago suburbs are rediculously skewed to the older crowd who are trying way to hard to act young. (I was at the Clubhouse in Oak Brook on Friday, and that place is hilarious - I should actually recommend that to the poster on the suburbs forum, who is looking for cougars ROFL!)

Old 11-08-2011, 04:29 PM

72 posts, read 110,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Blah, blah, blah. Ignorance.

Well, at least maybe for the majority of southern cities. Do you have any clue about Atlanta?? Have you ever been there? Sure its spread out, and if you don't like spread out, then fine, Chicagos for you. Personally, I think glitz, nightlife mixed with trees and space is beautiful.

Its like the fastest growing black entreprenuerial/black celebrity city in the country. Many people have moved down there and were shocked to see how the nightlife was mixed.

Have you read threads on the Chicago forum, about how posters said thats its tough being a young college educated male, because just almost all the majority black neighborhoods are mostly crappy, and they would have to conform to white/post collegiate big ten style on the north side neighborhoods. Chicago is more segregated than the big southern cities are (Houston, Atlanta, etc.).

Chicago may be more established and has denser neighborhoods with more historic buildings. Which has its value and charm for sure.

But hey if you can beautiful trees and grass in the same places where you party (like Buckhead), why not?

And then theres New Orleans, which may not be big compared to Chicago (in NOLA you hit swamps within 15 miles, but its best they stay that way), but its core neighborhoods are just as urban and lively, if not possibly a little more so.

Yeah ive actually been there. And I also know many other Chicagoans have and are still there. But thats them. Atlanta has nothin on Chicago. Neither does New Orleans which i have also been to. New Orleans is a decent city but doesnt come close to the Chi at all.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanisBop22 View Post
Yeah ive actually been there. And I also know many other Chicagoans have and are still there. But thats them. Atlanta has nothin on Chicago. Neither does New Orleans which i have also been to. New Orleans is a decent city but doesnt come close to the Chi at all.
All your opinion, which you are entitled to.

They all offer different things.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Yeah I TOTALLY disagree with that other poster too Tex. Believe me, I rep Chicago super hard (born in the city limits, lived for years within the city limits, etc.), even partied hard in the denser Manhattan / NYC, etc. Atlanta was still a breath of fresh of air for various reasons, and maybe a jaded big city guy like that won't admit it, but the people were WAY more easygoing, down to earth and easier to talk to than up here (GENERALLY speaking). I'm not speaking for all of the metro, but perhaps for the see & be seen neighborhoods of Chicago. Buckhead, by the way, is supposed to be a fashionable neighborhood in Atlanta (where I received all this great treatment at).

Quote:
All your opinion, which you are entitled to.

They all offer different things.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Atlanta is boring plus the economy there is much worse than the national average now.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Atlanta has less of an "American dream achievenment" gap between whites and blacks.

Having a native white "hillbilly" underclass, and a more prominent elite, entrepreuneurial/celebrity African American class is a good balance.

Since most social problems are an indirect outcome of race/ethnic and class tensions (even in some ways our current economy), its a good position to be in.

Thats just my opinion, no one has to agree with it.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Atlanta has less of an "American dream achievenment" gap between whites and blacks.

Having a native white "hillbilly" underclass, and a more prominent elite, entrepreuneurial/celebrity African American class is a good balance.

Since most social problems are an indirect outcome of race/ethnic and class tensions (even in some ways our current economy), its a good position to be in.

Thats just my opinion, no one has to agree with it.

That's fine, doesn't change the fact that Atlanta is boring and it's economy is in serious trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago