Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 PM

103 posts, read 218,501 times

Advertisements

I was just looking up some topics of snow storms and thunderstorms in Chicago and was reading that Chicago has only 3 power grids and that loss of power is somewhat frequent. Was this article being over dramatic or accurate? Just curious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,990 times
In winter loss of power is rare. It happens but it is more the result of damaged lines than too much demand--i.e. storm damage. Spring and summer are more likley to have power outs.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 AM

102 posts, read 332,590 times
From what I understand, it happens more frequently in certain areas, but I've lived in the same apartment for four and half years and have only lost power twice during that time. Neither of these two incidents occurred during winter storms.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
The OP probably saw some of the bogus info that ComEd threw together to get the legislature to fund their idiotic "grid modernization" efforts.

Total scam.

Normal businesses decide to budget for needed upgrades / maintenance out of operating revenues that they set aside. The criminal underfunding of future needs seems to have infected the electrical monopolies and thus they now are using the "regulatory magic" of the legislature to extract more from customers just as the lawmakers magically squeeze taxes out of citizens...

Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,129 times
i think i've lost power for a total of 2 hours over the last decade.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
the entire country's grid is old and needs to be modernized, but that doesn't mean ComEd isn't up to something & trying to use that long-known fact as a smokescreen for an unjustified rate hike.

here's the official govt position/explanation:

Smart Grid | Department of Energy

and a nice visual:

Visualizing The U.S. Electric Grid : NPR

Chicago varies from area to area, but Illinois/the USA is definitely in bad shape - I've heard govt officers say something like 20% of all power generated never gets used as it trickles out in the lines.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
I've lost power twice in the past 10 years. Once was the August 4th superstorm that blew through, my power was out for about 2 hours. The second was a random night I got home from work and it was out, but then I took a walk and it was back on an hour later.

I've never had it go out in 10 years of working downtown.

One thing I've noticed is I no longer have any electric clocks with hands, everything is digital or a display. I can always tell how long it's been since the power came back on, but I can never figure out how long it was off.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89david98 View Post
I was just looking up some topics of snow storms and thunderstorms in Chicago and was reading that Chicago has only 3 power grids and that loss of power is somewhat frequent. Was this article being over dramatic or accurate? Just curious?
do you have a link for the article>???

Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Chicago varies from area to area, but Illinois/the USA is definitely in bad shape - I've heard govt officers say something like 20% of all power generated never gets used as it trickles out in the lines.
I highly doubt Illinois is losing 20% of its transmitted electricity. The global average is about 14%. The U.S. average is less than 6.5%, which is roughly the same as Canada, Switzerland and Australia.

In other words, while I'm sure there are some fixes that could prevent some loss here and there, most of that power loss in the U.S. is not out of range when compared to similar countries. Much of it is probably close to unavoidable in given how far we transmit some of our electricity, at least until someone develops an affordable high-temperature (by which I mean up to, say, 120 degrees F) super-conductor.

Also, I live downtown where a lot of power lines are buried (although not the one serving my building), which increases reliability. We've rarely lost power, and I think the last two times I lost power it was actually due to scheduled line maintenance and not an accidental loss.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I highly doubt Illinois is losing 20% of its transmitted electricity. The global average is about 14%. The U.S. average is less than 6.5%, which is roughly the same as Canada, Switzerland and Australia.
Last year I went to talks by the IIT professor in charge of their new smart grid system as well as this fella:

Steven E. Koonin | Department of Energy

both referenced a 15 - 20% figure, although it's possible they were including aspects like wasted heat and other potentially salvageable energy.

do you have a good link? this is more difficult to find on the Net than I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago