Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 AM

16 posts, read 60,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
How did you get a job right after college in a far away state?
Grades and a good resume? A lot of firms recruit nationally and I expressed interest in the Chicago office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Keep in mind folks that his trips to O'Hare are probably free via taxi (paid for by employer).

If you don't mind traffic so much and a 1-1.5 hour trip getting home on a Thursday night, then Lakeview is certainly feasible.

That said, I personally would still live near the Blue Line because I hate sitting in traffic and would prefer the flexibility of taking the Blue Line when (a) the taxi line is long, and/or (b) my phone is showing heavy traffic out of ORD.
True. The employer pays for a town car to and from the airport. So would living near the blue line not be necessary? Keep in mind living in an area I can meet people like me is ideal in the neighborhood I go to.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 AM

91 posts, read 214,784 times
My son is moving to Chicago for his 1st job after college as well. If you are looking for someone to share a nice apt in the towns that are mentioned here, I'll put you in touch with him. He won't graduate until may.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeHusky View Post
True. The employer pays for a town car to and from the airport. So would living near the blue line not be necessary? Keep in mind living in an area I can meet people like me is ideal in the neighborhood I go to.
Don't worry it isn't either/or. Wickerpark/Bucktown have a lot of people your age and you are not far from lakeview/lincoln park if you want to explore a differnt area. It is just that lakeview/lincoln park to O'hare is no where near as convient as Bucktown to O'hare(either by public transit or cab).

The trouble with lakeview is that you will have to get off 90/94 and drive the street to your location. Which after say getting caught in traffic on the Kennedy may or may not be your cup of tea(i.e. Durring rushhour the Blue line is faster than driving down 90/94!). In addition many parts of lakeview have worse parking issuses than Bucktown(it also has parking problems just no where near as bad). And due to the cubs traffic going into and out of the lakeview area may be a bit heavy on game days.

Last edited by chirack; 12-14-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 12:19 AM

Would it be possible to taxi it to the blue line (paid for by the firm) and then take the L to the airport in times of heavy traffic?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Would it be possible to taxi it to the blue line (paid for by the firm) and then take the L to the airport in times of heavy traffic?
Absolutely

Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Honestly, if you are cutting your travel to O'hare that close you will miss ALOT of flights due to the security lines. Even if your flight is leaving from the terminal closest to public transit / people mover O'hare is HUGE airport and you cannot expect to "cut it close" -- you HAVE to factor travel time to the airport into your trip and any decent limo service will tell you when you have not enough time to make it via ANY mode ...

Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 AM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
Quote:
You would probably only need to take the L on the return trip. Most of the time you'll probably leave early enough on Mondays that traffic won't be an issue.

But on the return trip I don't think it would really be worth it to take the L then a taxi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago