Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times

Advertisements

I once drove to Detroit to pickup a Stargate arcade machine. On the way in nearby Michigan I ate a a Big Boy restaurant. Boy the food was good! Also, Rockford has Sonic, Perkins, and a great Buffet Restaurant that's also in Houston [forgot the name]. North of Rockford in Rockton and in Champaign Urbana you can go to Hardee's. If you have an itch for Waffle House the nearest one is in Indianapolis.

The first time I saw a Culver's was when I drove from Houston to Chicago in 2009. Now I love their burgers. But they have expanded a lot and they're in the suburbs of Chicago, thank God!

So what other great restaurants [not in Chicago] are there in cities nearby Chicago? Like Milwaukee is close still but St Louis is too far... What can we enjoy that's a modest drive away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
Jesse you used to be able to buy Big Boy in South Bend. Sonic, Hardee's (Carl Jr.). Perkins. Waffle House, Denny's, Subway, Dairy Queen, Applebee's, Panda Chinese Buffet. ChucK E. Cheese, Taco Bell, Long John Silver's. KFC. Pizza Hut. Hooters, Red Lobster, Bob Evens, Olive Garden, are national chains that expanded into the Midwest. You should be able to find most if not all of them in Illinois somewhere between the WI border and Springfield.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 AM

622 posts, read 1,197,514 times
is this a joke? sonic? perkins? hardees? waffle house??? if you had mentioned applebees i would have known you were pulling our chain.

culvers isn't bad but you can surely find something better locally. my wife watch the show "chicago's best" and have kept a list of the great places they visit. we have been able to find some truly amazing food that's way better than anything chains offer for the same price.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:43 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,984 times
Try Kopps Frozen Custard in Milwaukee, it's a great place and they have awesome burgers. Springfield has this place on route 66 that has corn dogs, i think they were invented their or something

Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
"great restaurants"?

No reason to leave Chicago. They're all here, compared to nearby commutes. Is there a type of food done excellently that's not available in Chicago but is in nearby Midwest, easy drive from Chicago, towns and cities? Probably not.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
I 2nd Kopp's in Milwaukee. Makes Culver's look more ordinary, like it actually is.
Jesse, seems like it's time for you to use City-Data to ask posters for good local restaurant choices and/or see if Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives" has any spots they've been to along the way of your journeys.
If you're out this way be sure to try "grande Jakes" in Buffalo Grove on Dundee Rd 2 blocks west of Buffalo Grove Rd. Right next door to Dengeos. You can also stop in at the nearby Pita Inn or the Super Dawg location in Wheeling on Milwaukee Av. All these places are "chains" by way of having 1 or 2 more locations.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
is this a joke?
It's Jesse

Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's Jesse
I can appreciate dining at chains when on the road. It is a known entity and most chains control quality very well from location to location. You also can expect to get in and out pretty quickly. I have had meals at local places that were mediocre at best and have also discovered some real gems. I typically will not try a local place unless I get a recommendation or have no other choice.
So I understand Jesse's gravitation to chain's, do not understand him "gushing" over Big Boy.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I can appreciate dining at chains when on the road. It is a known entity and most chains control quality very well from location to location. You also can expect to get in and out pretty quickly. I have had meals at local places that were mediocre at best and have also discovered some real gems. I typically will not try a local place unless I get a recommendation or have no other choice.
So I understand Jesse's gravitation to chain's, do not understand him "gushing" over Big Boy.
We often want what we can't easily have, then tire of it when we have it. I have friends who live in places where there are no White Castle's. They obsess over the place. And that's their first choice for something to eat when in Chicago. Not the only, but the first. I like WC as well. But they're nearby and I can have one whenever I want. So I don't go often.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
We often want what we can't easily have, then tire of it when we have it. I have friends who live in places where there are no White Castle's. They obsess over the place. And that's their first choice for something to eat when in Chicago. Not the only, but the first. I like WC as well. But they're nearby and I can have one whenever I want. So I don't go often.
Oh yeah, like Rocky Mountain Pi** Water, I mean Coors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago