Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM

126 posts, read 207,828 times

Advertisements

I'll be at a conference there the first weekend in December. I've been going to this conference every December for about 6 or 7 years now, staying at the Drake. I love their Christmas decorations. (Although they changed some last year, and I couldn't quite get used to it.)

But I've never done their tea. I was always afraid it would turn out to be a touristy thing, not worth the cost, that people do in order to say they've done it not because they really enjoy it.

So, is it really a Chicago tradition, or is it a show put on for visitors?

(I'm also thinking of going to Blue Man Group-for the 4th time.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
Tea at the Drake and Blue Man Group just don't jive

I love the Drake but haven't experienced their tea. Just do it. Then you can report back to us all.
Have fun whatever you decide.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahk View Post
I'll be at a conference there the first weekend in December. I've been going to this conference every December for about 6 or 7 years now, staying at the Drake. I love their Christmas decorations. (Although they changed some last year, and I couldn't quite get used to it.)

But I've never done their tea. I was always afraid it would turn out to be a touristy thing, not worth the cost, that people do in order to say they've done it not because they really enjoy it.

So, is it really a Chicago tradition, or is it a show put on for visitors?

(I'm also thinking of going to Blue Man Group-for the 4th time.)
..........."High Tea" at the Drake..................ah yes!!!

By all means..............do it

In 1954 my late wife and I stayed at the Drake for a few days during our Honeymoon and when the manager of the front desk found out that it was our Honeymoon, he insisted that we partake of "High Tea" and also gave us a very lavish "7-course Dinner" on-the-House"

Chicago was a very different city in those days......you could walk along Rush Street and through Grant Park (after dark) and not worry at all about your safety. .................... A great hotel with a great history.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

In 1954 my late wife and I stayed at the Drake for a few days during our Honeymoon and when the manager of the front desk found out that it was our Honeymoon, he insisted that we partake of "High Tea" and also gave us a very lavish "7-course Dinner" on-the-House"

Chicago was a very different city in those days......you could walk along Rush Street and through Grant Park (after dark) and not worry at all about your safety. .................... A great hotel with a great history.
You still can

Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Go for coffee at Huck Finn.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Go for coffee at Huck Finn.
I know I can google it up...............but easier to ask: Where is it located?

Is it just a Coffee House or????

Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
It's nothing special, sorry Tom.

I grew up going to Alps East (and Alps West), which IMO is basically the same food as Huck Finn, and I wouldn't recommend a visitor staying at the Drake go out of their way for either.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:

I do those walks all the time and am certainly not fearing for my safety.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:41 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
I know I can google it up...............but easier to ask: Where is it located?

Is it just a Coffee House or????
It's like Denny's!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
It's worth it. Unfortunately a lot of people wear jogging suits and T-shirts in the lobby these days but it you take your glasses off you can imagine how it was when the entire world hadn't 'gone casual.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago