Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Never got the appeal of Chicago pizza, it's basically some pizza/lasagna hybrid with enough calories per serving to keep a hippo from not feeling hungry.

Also, the entire idea that all non-Chicago pizza is "cardboard" is proof of Chicago's midwestern insularity.
There are plenty of places Chicagoans think have decent pizza. And, for the record, most Chicagoans don't eat "Chicago-style" pizza very often. In fact, I'd guess the majority of local Chicago places don't even sell "Chicago-style" pizza if, by that term, you mean the deep dish or stuffed varieties (there are two thick "Chicago-style" styles, after all, plus the lesser-known but locally more popular style of thin crust).

Most Chicagoans are fine with New York or Detroit style pizzas. Also acceptable are pretty much anywhere northeast of Columbus, Ohio or, for some strange reason, Denver and, of course, Las Vegas. Also, we may not fully appreciate authentic California-style pizza (CPK notwithstanding), but we don't generally consider it cardboard.

What we do consider cardboard are any pizzas made with substandard ingredients using unpracticed techniques by people who couldn't care less about how it tastes as long as someone is willing to buy it. Which turns out to be on the menu in an awful big chunk of the country, especially in places that never actually had any significant Italian immigrant population. Which includes all of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Growing up I liked Godfathers Pizza, but haven't been there in years.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Never got the appeal of Chicago pizza, it's basically some pizza/lasagna hybrid with enough calories per serving to keep a hippo from not feeling hungry.

Also, the entire idea that all non-Chicago pizza is "cardboard" is proof of Chicago's midwestern insularity.
Have you had a thin crust pizza from Lou Malnati's? Compared with the "pizza" the chains offer, it's like saying a Yugo is as much of a performance car as a Porsche! So when I say Chicago pizza I really mean the local pizzerias and not just the deep dish style.
And the appeal of deep dish is that one piece will fill you up instead of needing to eat almost an entire pie. Quality over quantity is in play here.
And insular? Maybe, but I know what my taste buds like and I have had pizza all around the country. Some local pizzerias do a decent job, but the chains are awful to mediocre (at best).
It's like eating at a truly good local Italian restaurant and then saying Olive Garden is better.Blasphemy
Or put another way, it's like eating at a good, local seafood restaurant located in the heart of fresh product and then saying Long John Silver is better. Puh-leeze

Old 12-22-2011, 09:15 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,587 times
I love pizza threads! It always starts great arguments..haha! I saw someone say Detroit style pizza somewhere which is funny...what is Detroit style pizza? My wife is from there and whenever we visit Detroit we always order Jets pizza..it's actually a pretty good chain pizza. They opened one in Westmont last year I think? Other then that I refuse to order mass chain pizza like pizza hut or domino's...regardless if Domino's "changed" their recipe. If you live in Chicago or the burbs of Chicago, you have no excuse ordering that garbage pizza with so many other options..sorry

Old 12-22-2011, 09:19 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
I'd rather poke my eye out.
Ok.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
Other then that I refuse to order mass chain pizza like pizza hut or domino's...regardless if Domino's "changed" their recipe.
I like pizza and find almost any pizza is better than no pizza.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Ok...you win...I have to agree with this

Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
I respect this dude's opinions. Myself, if given the choice of McD's, Col. Heartburn or Pizza Hut will choose Pizza Hut especially if they have the pizza buffet. Still beats most frozen pizza. And I like pizza too and if someone has an event where mediocre pizza is served, I'll eat it, not complain, will often enjoy it and certainly be happy that I'm fed & happy. I'm not so haughty that I'll make a big deal about and I certainly prefer to not go hungry.
But like the Dos Equis guy:"I don't always eat pizza. But when I do, I prefer Lou Malnati's".

Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I respect this dude's opinions. Myself, if given the choice of McD's, Col. Heartburn or Pizza Hut will choose Pizza Hut especially if they have the pizza buffet. Still beats most frozen pizza. And I like pizza too and if someone has an event where mediocre pizza is served, I'll eat it, not complain, will often enjoy it and certainly be happy that I'm fed & happy. I'm not so haughty that I'll make a big deal about and I certainly prefer to not go hungry.
But like the Dos Equis guy:"I don't always eat pizza. But when I do, I prefer Lou Malnati's".
At Lou's, it is all about the thin crust for me. I am indifferent to their thick crust.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Be careful...

Change pizza to women and you will end up like Bill Clinton...

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago