Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,978 times

Advertisements

My greatgrandparents lived at several addresses in West Pullman just after the turn of the century. I only have a picture of the house at 1701 S. Wallace Ave. I am wondering if it is still there. It was a big old, historic home. Someone who lives in the neighbourhood--can you help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Is that maybe "10701 S Wallace"?

Old 09-05-2007, 03:01 PM

If so, it looks possible.

Live Local Search

Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I don't know that any of the regulars here live in West Pullman and I don't know that you'll get a lot of volunteers to go check it out either since a) it's a crummy neighborhood, and b) most of us live pretty far away from it. Some who live relatively close by and might be willing to check it out are NSH and eljaykay, but I haven't seen either of them around here for a couple weeks. Maybe Maginault? At any rate, if it was a big historic old home, and if the address was indeed 10701 S. Wallace as CBC suggests, this satellite photo doesn't look very promising. 10701 would be the southeast corner of the intersection pinpointed on that map, and that home does not look particularly large or historic. In fact there does not appear to even be a 10701 S. Wallace. The house on that corner looks to be facing 107th Street and would probably have a 107th Street address.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Follow my link. Microsoft Live Search includes a function called "Bird's Eye View", which is a sort of 45 degree angle on the property, clearly taken from the air rather than a satellite. I think it gives a slightly better perspective.

Still, hard to say.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 PM

I did follow your link. It centers in on some place in South Dakota.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:19 PM

184 posts, read 766,495 times
The entire Roseland/ West Pullman area is highly crime-ridden. I used to live there. Stay away.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,257 times
I lived in Roseland too and I don't appreciate peoples sterotypes about it. It can be a bit rough but the sun still shines there too. There are more hard working law abiding citizens there than gangbangers. The gangbangers just have everyone living in fear.

Drover calling west pull man a crummy neighborhood shows a lot about him.. To blantly disrespect all the people in the neighborhhod shows a lot about u. People that live in the hood would move out if they had the money to. We just need equal oppurtunities. Is west pull man bad yes is roseland far worse yes but don't catalog all the people there as criminals u don't know their circumstances. Drover stay on the north side we don't want shallow people like u on the south side judging us.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:25 AM

Oh. Sorry for the busted link. Must have been subjective. Still, if you go to Live Search and search maps. Choose "Bird's Eye View".

Much better.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppie eradicator View Post
Drover calling west pull man a crummy neighborhood shows a lot about him.. To blantly disrespect all the people in the neighborhhod shows a lot about u. People that live in the hood would move out if they had the money to. We just need equal oppurtunities. Is west pull man bad yes is roseland far worse yes but don't catalog all the people there as criminals u don't know their circumstances. Drover stay on the north side we don't want shallow people like u on the south side judging us.
A little thin-skinned, are we? I'm sorry you're incapable of distinguishing a judgment about a neighborhood from a judgment about any or all of the people living there, but that's your problem, not mine. It may be that many of the people who live there are good, decent, honest people. I certainly never claimed otherwise. That doesn't change the fact that a sufficient number of people who live there are not good, decent, honest people, and they're the ones that make it a crummy neighborhood. All your whining about us judgmental northsiders is not going to change that. I also find it rich that someone with the screen name "yuppie eradicator" should lecture me about being judgmental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago