Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:16 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times

Advertisements

I think Chicago lost it's bid because the Chicago bid committee thought that doing old school lobbying, bringing in big names, pleading about why it would benefit Chicago, etc was the wrong message.
All in all, I don't care either way but I've enjoyed the egg on the face of Daley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Word, brother. Mayor Daley worked closely alongside the Obama administration to champion the removal of hundreds of thousands of blacks from the south side. All in the name of international sportsmanship.

Fix your own damn problems. Can you even fathom a majority white community on the north side being able to write this kind of tripe? "Please stay out of our neighborhoods. We know you mean well, but we'd just rather not have you here"?

Just what do these South siders want? What exactly are their terms for white people being allowed to fix their problems? It's an admission that they need white people and their money to make things better, because those places have been ****holes of poverty and crime for decades now and you can't blame white flight forever.

In fact, I don't even find that argument logical; how did white people leaving make the community dangerous in the first place? How did it impede people from bettering themselves? Those very same neighborhoods were founded by poor, working class Europeans (whites) who were in identical situations... and yet Pilsen then and Pilsen now are two radically different places.

I have had enough of this BS to last me a lifetime. The problems on the southside are purely due to the people living there. Literally the entirety of your argument is a catch-22 for those despicable white Northsiders; they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. Just what do you really want?
Excuse me, but you don't speak for all white people.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:54 AM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
All in all, I don't care either way but I've enjoyed the egg on the face of Daley.
I enjoyed it too, but I suspect the eggs will prove to be sunny side up for Richie, because he ends up looking more human, less like a dictator, and more like the guy whose great love for Chicago compelled him to go the extra mile to bring something big to the city, only to be screwed over by a rigged process in a foreign country.

His opponents? My guess is they'll have the burden of convincing the public that they aren't really just a bunch of selfish, small-thinking, nay-saying, what's-in-it-for-me NIMBYs, unworthy heirs to the legacy of the Burnham Plan, many of whom care more about the mayor looking bad than they do about redeveloping the vast depressed areas of the city.

Not saying this is fair, right, or that I agree. I am simply pointing out the politics of it.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Excuse me, but you don't speak for all white people.
No, but I am allowed to speak for white people on the Northside. As a landowner with significant interests in the Near and far Northside neighborhoods, I feel that the taxes I pay and the people my properties house allow me to speak as a neighborhood assocation

Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
No, but I am allowed to speak for white people on the Northside. As a landowner with significant interests in the Near and far Northside neighborhoods, I feel that the taxes I pay and the people my properties house allow me to speak as a neighborhood assocation
Don't worry it isnt all northsiders we don't want helping us here on the southside, it is just ones like you!!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
While to a degree I think you make some thought-provoking posts regarding the need for people south of the Loop to stop looking outward for solutions while simultaneously rejecting them moving into those communities, no, you are not allowed to speak for "white people on the Northside," sorry.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:53 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
While to a degree I think you make some thought-provoking posts regarding the need for people south of the Loop to stop looking outward for solutions while simultaneously rejecting them moving into those communities, no, you are not allowed to speak for "white people on the Northside," sorry.
The problem isnt rejecting them moving into the communities, the problem is wanting stay on the outside looking in, and saying this is your problem and this is what you need to do to fix it.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
How presumptuous. Who appointed you spokesman for "white people on the Northside"?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:40 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
White people on the northside, lol.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
The problem isnt rejecting them moving into the communities, the problem is wanting stay on the outside looking in, and saying this is your problem and this is what you need to do to fix it.
I disagree. The problems on the southside are everyone's problem in Chicago, and when Chicagoans can't just solve the problems by magic they are insulted as not caring about communities other than their own.

If the south side wants help, they can't do it while shooting the messenger, and the messenger is sometimes there just to bring a message, not to be the hired help. Some of these threads are just ludicrous- blaming anyone but the individuals involved for issues like teen pregnancy and so forth is both counterproductive and just flat out wrong. teens are horny all over the world, but it takes a certain disrespect on a young man's part to refuse to use protection because it doesn't feel good. And btw, I had CPS students actually tell me that to my face, so don't tell me it's a question of education or whatever, it's selfishness in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago