Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 03:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
Except they weren't expecting to make $15-20 billion back. They were hoping to make a fraction of that.
If the people that built Chicago up used as narrow thinking as you are putting forth-Chicago would have ended up with a similar size and scope of Milwaukee.

In fact,after the fire,Chicago would have probably never been rebuilt.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-02-2009 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
We're happy because, while the Olympics bring the...

...Having lived in the Chicago area my entire life, I felt it was highly likely that the city would mis-manage the Olympics and leave me to foot the bill...
Speak for yourself and all of the Debbie Downer's that have no vision. Most normal educated people I know wanted the games.

Thanks so much for footing the bill YOURSELF all of these years to pay for street repair,rebuilding Soldier Field,providing various city services and programs,etc.

Let me know when you are up for re-election to your self proclaimed office of chief philanthropist of the City of Chicago so I can put forth all of my efforts to defeat you.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:23 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Dear citizen of Chicago, Avengerfire
Why do you are out of humour??
Don't lose oneself. Today Rio won and Chicago lose. That's life.
In 2020 you'll can try again.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
As some one living in Houston, i can relate to why Chicagoans are happy to lose the Olympic bid. Houston was one of the cities that lost the American bid to Chicago and most people here are happy that Houston lost considering the problems that Chicago has had in acquiring funds for just for the bid. I love Houston but I don't think it is ready to host the Olympics just yet and form what I've gathered, it doesn't seem like Chicago is either.

Oh well. I guess this just means that next U.S. city to bid will be an even stronger candidate. I think Seattle is considering bidding for 2020 or 2024. That would be a great U.S. city to show off to the world!
I'm definitely not happy about it but I understand the reasons why we didn't get it. When I saw that most of the voting IOC members weren't Americans, I figured we were in trouble. I think it was more a vote against the U.S. than it was a vote against Chicago. I said in an earlier thread that I think got deleted that we as a nation are perceived as wasteful, aggressive in foreign policy, and largely responsible for the current world financial crisis by many outside the U.S. It was just the wrong time for a U.S. city to bid. I don't think Seattle would have done any better, in other words.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Maybe I'm dense, but am having a hard time understanding why so many Chicagoans are thrilled at losing the Olympic bid to Rio? I would think it would have brought tons of money into the city, which could go for solutions to crime or whatever is the current concern. Why would you Chicagoans not unhappy about this? Can someone explain?

They can not afford the Olympics.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,080 times
It is expensive and a losing money proposition even with tourism up to sponsor the Olympics.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
[b]Dear citizen of Chicago...
Should you not be out partying instead of being a gluttonous,graceless,beneficiary of victory and success? I hope your games FAIL. Bye bye troll.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-02-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reh14 View Post
They can not afford the Olympics.
And you are who?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 PM

188 posts, read 423,842 times
Hey, BRAZILIAN, remember when you got hammered off of wine coolers and then made out with that guy?!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:14 PM

55 posts, read 146,468 times
That Chicago came in Last shows the world is still upset about the Iraq War. But the US just had Olympics in Atlanta and Salt Lake City. Spain had Barcelona, the Japanese already had a Tokyo Olympics in the 60's(this time should be Osaka's chance) I think it was fair to let the city of the River of January and the nation of Brasil to have their turn. I only hope the cops there take their gloves off and crack down Myanmar style on all the scumbag slumdog criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago