Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM

303 posts, read 579,183 times

Advertisements

Good news, I hear that Dick Wolf pilot has positive reviews.I think Chicago is about to have a new series and having Wolf is even better. Wolf help the New York image with Law and Order , a series that's played on like 5 channels. This new show will help Chicago. Like I said before tv/media is a important factor for a city prospering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
Good news, I hear that Dick Wolf pilot has positive reviews.I think Chicago is about to have a new series and having Wolf is even better. Wolf help the New York image with Law and Order , a series that's played on like 5 channels. This new show will help Chicago. Like I said before tv/media is a important factor for a city prospering.

Nice to hear

Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
The Fire department one?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The Fire department one?
Yes

Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
Film makers never seem to get tired of Chicago as a location for filming, whether playing itself or standing in for New York. There will always be a desire to film here, but the reality is that filming locations are determined not only by artistic considerations but by economic ones too. On location filming is such a hot economic commodity that in the past 10-15 years, cities, states, and some small countries began offering subsidies (usually in the form of payroll tax breaks) to attract the business. Illinois is no exception and the volume of filming in Chicago is very much connected to the state tax subsidy; it dropped dramatically when other places started offering the tax break and Illinois didn't, and increased dramatically when Illinois' tax break took effect.

It's unrealistic to look for Chicago to become a major center for movie and TV production; there's just too much competition out there for the limited amount of product that isn't being done in LA and New York. As a result, I would be hesitant to invest too much public money in trying to attract the industry here. Tax credits are one thing, but any use of public money to subsidize tangible things like soundstages is unwise because these facilities have no other use if the business doesn't follow. If private companies can be persuaded to invest in such facilities, great.
Personnally, I feel that the abandoned industrial area off of Elston avenue would be perfect for movie companies to buy up and build movie studios and sound stages. That whole area could be redeveloped and used for that; it would be like that giant area of movie lots at Paramount pictures out in LA or Burbank (or whereever that place is).

Old 05-09-2012, 02:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Personnally, I feel that the abandoned industrial area off of Elston avenue would be perfect for movie companies to buy up and build movie studios and sound stages. That whole area could be redeveloped and used for that; it would be like that giant area of movie lots at Paramount pictures out in LA or Burbank (or whereever that place is).
Elston in what part of town?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Too expensive off Elston. The old Ryerson Tull plant was the best move they could have made, tons of space, tax breaks and still relatively close to the loop.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Elston in what part of town?
That area that starts around Milwaukee Ave and Elston (which includes goose island etc) and then moving north from there, all the way up to Diversey. Basically, that entire "dead zone" where there is nothing but empty lots and old vacated factories just sitting idle; that entire stretch, I think, would be a good movie studio lot. It seems tobe set up well for that type of business activity. Instead of empty lots, you would have movie production-related industrial traffic, as well as limos bringing stars to the studios. Plus this would also bring in some related business that would support the movie industry. Doing this would completely revitalize the area, eliminate the dead zones, and would boost local real estate, both east (towards LP) and west (UV, Noble Square, and WP) in the area. It could even help restart gentrification in areas that are due west of the West Loop (around the United Center).

Last edited by SmartGXL; 05-11-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-13-2012, 06:38 PM

Great News, NBC picked up "Chicago Fire".It will be a one-hour drama.It will start filming in mid July . It will be based southwest at Cinespace soundstage.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 AM

Chicago has two shows filming. Chicago fire and Mob Doctors. Movie Dhoom 3 bollywood movie filming through October. This is a good yr for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago