Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times

Advertisements

It would put people to work, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
I'd love to see this culture changed as well, I will say as a 40 year old I had never heard of this law until a year ago.

I suspect re-wiring people like me would be really, really tough - and I'm sympathetic & would be willing to do so, but the prospect for some serious unintended consequences would be if someone like me just starts coming to a halt one day and then the drivers behind just swerve right around me (like drivers do with left-turners).

Perhaps crosswalks on minor streets on the big arterials (4 lanes) could be removed or marked differently *if* the City gets serious about enforcing this law, because as Attrill was suggesting, it's likely that 4 lanes of traffic on a designated arterial street like Western will not come crashing to a halt due to sight line problems and the fact this law has never been enforced.

Of course, I'd like to see police regularly ticketing motorists for a dozen or so routine driving infractions, and it just never happens.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
That drivers are required to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks certainly wasn't true when I was a kid growing up in Chicago. Did something change? Or are you referring only to right-turns-on-red?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:47 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That drivers are required to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks certainly wasn't true when I was a kid growing up in Chicago. Did something change? Or are you referring only to right-turns-on-red?

It's always been the case but hasn't ever been enforced.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:33 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
It is such a difference between L.A. and Chicago. In LA, pedestrians waited at corners for the walk sign and drivers respected crosswalks. It goes both ways in Chicago, people just randomly cross the roads and drivers don't stop.
I found it unnerving when I lived in Monterey, CA, that traffic would stop in both directions any time you stood on the side of the road, even if it was 4 lanes and even if it wasn't a designated crosswalk. I grew up in Illinois and was used to waiting for a gap in traffic. Guess its all about what you're accustomed to.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Crosswalks should be done away with entirely. Cross at the light or you're on your own.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Crosswalks should be done away with entirely. Cross at the light or you're on your own.
That would be a huge inconvenience on some streets.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:04 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That's what I thought LOL, particularly if you aren't crossing at a walk that has a light or stop sign, you better make damn sure you look both ways before crossing the street and not just assume traffic is going to stop for you. Hell if it is a law, the police must not know much about it because they break it daily themselves. I've never seen them stop for a pedestrian with no stop light or sign at the crosswalk.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

fantastic idea. this means the old lady next to us would only have to walk 1/2 mile to get to the neighbor across the street.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:34 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
It is such a difference between L.A. and Chicago. In LA, pedestrians waited at corners for the walk sign and drivers respected crosswalks. It goes both ways in Chicago, people just randomly cross the roads and drivers don't stop.
Um, no one really bothers to use the cross walks out here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago