Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM

143 posts, read 334,177 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm about to graduate with my doctoral degree next week and I have tons of family and friends coming in from out of town. Since I've been a broke student for the past 4 years I don't know too many nice restaurants that would fit the occasion for a graduation since I've always been on a budget.

What I'd like to get ideas for is a restaurant that is semi-formal/formal (and if not at least nice) that can fit about 20 people for dinner or even better, a banquet room where the restaurant might have catered food to serve us.. this would be optimal! Any suggestions? Unfortunately I don't have a price range b/c I'm not paying for it, but I wouldn't complain if overall everything was about $15-18 per person. Preferably in the city too! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
La Creperie

Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
La Creperie
That place is good..and not that expensive either..they have more space in back or something right?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,703 times
$15-$18 per head... I take it your party won't be drinking?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,945 times
We did a party for 30-40 for my wife at Semiramis a couple years ago, I think it was $20/person and we worked with them on setting the menu. It's BYOB, so you save a lot that way. They were really easy to work with and the food was great. We had a number of guests who managed to cover the entire gamut of dietary restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, lactose intolerant, and soy and wheat allergies). Everything is served family style and the food just keeps coming and coming. We were there for quite awhile and didn't feel any pressure to leave. The kabobs there are awesome.

Last edited by Attrill; 05-08-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Yeah, BYOB is the way to go if you are watching dollars; you can cut your bill in half, or as is the case with my friends, into a third or possibly a fifth.

Not sure how many white table-cloth BYOs I can think of, though. Most of them tend to be ethnic food. Probably the closest that would fit what you're talking about would be Mio Caro or Mythos. The food at the latter is one of the best restaurants in Chicago IMO, but not sure if you're looking for Greek, and I certainly wouldn't describe either of them as 'formal.'

Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Yeah, BYOB is the way to go if you are watching dollars; you can cut your bill in half, or as is the case with my friends, into a third or possibly a fifth.

Not sure how many white table-cloth BYOs I can think of, though. Most of them tend to be ethnic food. Probably the closest that would fit what you're talking about would be Mio Caro or Mythos. The food at the latter is one of the best restaurants in Chicago IMO, but not sure if you're looking for Greek, and I certainly wouldn't describe either of them as 'formal.'
"Formal" will tough on this budget. Mythos is good, mio caro is ok, but byo helps.

Bonsoiree and goosefoot are two excellent byos that are upper end. Neither will work with budget though.

Back to la creperie, it's priced right, tasty and has a space for parties and an outdoor patio.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Ruxbin, Chillum Balam, HB ktichen and Han202 also come to mind as "nice" BYOBs. If you kept it to one entree per person w/ no apps it wouldn't fall too much over your budget excluding alcohol. But I don't know if a table for 20 would be possible at any of them; Han would be your best shot I think. Also, while all great restaurants (or with great reps, at least, I haven't been to them all) they are not really 'formal.' I would say 'nice' but not really 'formal.' Han approaches 'formal.'

I don't think you're going to find like a cheap, neighborhood version of Chez Peree or anything. On that budget with (and probably without) alcohol I don't think it exists.

La Creperie is super charming and would be good for the occassion. Might be a great suggestion. But if you are drinking there I don't think that budget would work. But then again I've never negotiated with a restaurant owner for a party for 20 so maybe you could get some kind of deal on the house wine etc.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,472 times
$15-18/head for semi formal or formal is a bit of a stretch I think. Orso's in old town does have some options for large groups though I'm not sure what the overall cost is offhand. It's generally a pretty affordable overall though.

Last edited by Jandur; 05-09-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Something else to consider is the tip. Don't be surprised to see a 10-20% "gratuity for service " added after taxes. It is not uncommon to assign two staff to a table of 20 or larger once guests are seated. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: