Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 PM

33 posts, read 70,908 times

Advertisements

I'm born and raised in the Bay Area (Northern California) and have spent the last 4 years on the east coast (DC and Philly) - I'm now in my late 20's. I got offered a job in Chicago and am considering taking it. I have visited Chicago multiple times Spring-Fall (avoiding the winter of course) so I'm not sure what to expect.

I will say this is a big deal to me, I know how bent out of shape/depressed I get during the winters in DC/Philly and am wanting to know if Chicago will be much worse? How long is it REALLY cold up there? It's mostly Jan-Feb that bother me out here, December and March are bearable levels of cold to me, is the deep of Chicago winter longer? Can I expect to hate my life from November - April up there?

I need some real opinions as sadly, this point can truly influence how I approach this job offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-DC-CHI View Post
I'm born and raised in the Bay Area (Northern California) and have spent the last 4 years on the east coast (DC and Philly) - I'm now in my late 20's. I got offered a job in Chicago and am considering taking it. I have visited Chicago multiple times Spring-Fall (avoiding the winter of course) so I'm not sure what to expect.

I will say this is a big deal to me, I know how bent out of shape/depressed I get during the winters in DC/Philly and am wanting to know if Chicago will be much worse? How long is it REALLY cold up there? It's mostly Jan-Feb that bother me out here, December and March are bearable levels of cold to me, is the deep of Chicago winter longer? Can I expect to hate my life from November - April up there?

I need some real opinions as sadly, this point can truly influence how I approach this job offer.
I can't say exactly how you'd feel...but...

I grew up in Michigan...and I'd always assumed that New York would have similar winters. I guess I'd always heard of snow storms out that way as well, etc., so assumed it was similar.

It wasn't...it was extremely pleasant comparitively in New York City during the winters. For one, the snow melted fairly quickly. Back in Michigan, you seldom saw grass for months and months on end.

Being that DC/Philly is a bit warmer/milder than NYC even.

YOu mentioned that December and March were bearable in Philly/DC...granted I'm comparing NYC & Michigan...but a Dec & March in NYC reminded me more of October & April in Michigan.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
Every year is different.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 PM

33 posts, read 70,908 times
Hmm, that's my concern, it seems like the weather sucks in Chicago for the majority of the year. If Oct/Nov-April are cold and July-early Sept are smoldering, it seems like there are only about 3 months total with enjoyable weather.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,187 times
Quote:

Chicago is cold and windy , howver I'm also from Bay Area (San Bruno) and have lived in IL for 20 years (16 in Chicago) and I made it. So you'll be fine it gets cold in Philly , and good luck on new job!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:

It's not as cold as everyone makes it out to be. It can be cold, but it's not a frozen tundra like everyone will make you believe. I would say that if you made it through Philly, you will be fine.

I have friends from all over the place and many from countries that are hotter than anything the US has to offer and they are doing just fine here. My girlfriend is from Malaysia, which is 90 degrees everyday with close to 100% humidity. She has been able to stand a few winters here and in another upper midwestern state.

Everyone is different, I personally don't think it's terrible (I grew up in MN, but I'm not fond of the cold), but sometimes it can be chilly. If you know how to prepare and dress, you'll be fine. The average high in January is 31, February is 36. I would say the average cold day temperature would be in the low 20s with some wind if you can guage by that.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:26 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,576,737 times
getting warmer and warmer

Old 05-26-2012, 05:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:

I don't know about Philly, but I'd say that Chicago winters are materially harsher than DC. If DC's winters were hard to bear, Chicago winters may well break you. There's a reason why Phoenix is comprised of roughly 1/3rd former Chicagoans. Even many who grew up with it and took it in stride for decades eventually reached their limit.

Last edited by Drover; 05-26-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 05:50 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,863,758 times
I find that it is not that the winters are so harsh but that they last so long. Spring is very late coming in Chicago.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:08 AM

3 posts, read 5,154 times
I've lived here all of my life - winter gets harder every year for me. I could not imagine gettng old here. It is true that every year is different, but the one thing that hardly ever changes is the length. The sh*t is looooong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago