Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,045,850 times

Advertisements

(no, this doesn't have anything to do with the Pride Parade)

I wasn't aware of this law in New York but it's made a huge difference in the gun murder rate in NYC. Since it's been implemented, gun murders/violence are down signficantly in NYC. Statistics have proven that.

"The situation in which a police officer who is suspicious of an individual detains the person and runs his hands lightly over the suspect's outer garments to determine if the person is carrying a concealed weapon."

Now, obviously this law causes controversy because it essentially gives cops the ability to profile and a vast majority of those getting S&F are black or hispanic., BUT....statistics show (and I don't think anyone would argue against it) that young black and hispanic males are also the ones perpetrating most of the gun violence.

I think it's a great idea and would work in Chicago.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,077,254 times
Cops stopping random people and frisking them for no particular reason.. Yeah, racial profiling is the only thing possibly wrong with that.

How about the 4th Amendment?

Last edited by urza216; 06-01-2012 at 07:45 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Cops stopping random people and frisking them for no particular reason.. Yeah, racial profiling is the only thing possibly wrong with that.

So do you agree or disagree that most of the gun violence is perpetrated by a particular race?
Let's quit trying to be so PC and say it is what it is.

I agree with you though that it's unlikely a lot of white, 20-somethings in Lincoln Park are going to get S&F but there's also not a whole lot of white 20-somethings in LP shooting people.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,712,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
So do you agree or disagree that most of the gun violence is perpetrated by a particular race?

I agree with you though that it's unlikely a lot of white, 20-somethings in Lincoln Park are going to get S&F but there's also not a whole lot of white 20-somethings in LP shooting people.
I can't disagree with anything you wrote here.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,787,142 times
Chicago cops do stop and frisk as do many suburban cops.

In New York City there has been an increase in pot possesion cases of under 3 grams.

In fact, under Bloomberg there have been more misdemeanor pot arrests than there were with the previous 3 mayors combined (and that includes Rudy Guliani). Over 90% of those arrested are black and hispanic. Pretty much all from stop and frisk. There was a documentary called "Weed Wars" that talked about this. New Yorkers spend more tax dollars prosecuting stoners than they do people with guns as a result.

The Terry case was actually when a cop stop and frisked some guys who were casing out bank for a robbery. And it was pretty obvious. The officer had a reasonable and articulable belief that a crime was happening. But cops try to expand this to the point of violating civil rights.

As far as I am concerned:

A society that sacrafices a little liberty (of blacks/latinos/muslims ) to gain a little security (for whites) deserves neither and will lose both.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Chicago cops do stop and frisk as do many suburban cops.

In New York City there has been an increase in pot possesion cases of under 3 grams.

In fact, under Bloomberg there have been more misdemeanor pot arrests than there were with the previous 3 mayors combined (and that includes Rudy Guliani). Over 90% of those arrested are black and hispanic. Pretty much all from stop and frisk. There was a documentary called "Weed Wars" that talked about this. New Yorkers spend more tax dollars prosecuting stoners than they do people with guns as a result.

The Terry case was actually when a cop stop and frisked some guys who were casing out bank for a robbery. And it was pretty obvious. The officer had a reasonable and articulable belief that a crime was happening. But cops try to expand this to the point of violating civil rights.

A society that sacrafices a little liberty (of blacks/latinos/muslims ) to gain a little security (for whites) deserves neither and will lose both.

I'm not talking about picking dime bags off some Occupy stoner, I'm talking about taking guns from gangbangers. The 'legalize pot' discussion is a whole other topic.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,227,468 times
Quote:

Meh, most of the gun violence in Chicago is black on black or latino on latino, those lines generally aren't crossed when it comes to actual murders. If we are talking about guns being used committing crimes, maybe then you can say it is for the protection of whites.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post

People on this forum always accuse me of making everything about race. But this is not about race. This is about civil liberties. Cops will unjustly put their hands on white guy's asses too. We have places to be and don't have time for cops to be stopping us and frisking us because the cop didn't like the way we look or dress or twitched our head or body in a suspicious manner.

Don't be naive. Just because you feel white and entitled doesn't mean white guys won't be frisked too. Cops are suspicious of anything out of what they consider the ordinary. You can tell them all about your white entitlement while they continue to search you.

Last edited by urza216; 06-01-2012 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,787,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
People on this forum always accuse me of making everything about race. But this is not about race. This is about civil liberties. Cops will unjustly put their hands on white guy's asses too. We have places to be and don't have time for cops to be stopping us and frisking us because the cop didn't like the way we look or dress or twitched our head or body in a suspicious manner.

Don't be naive. Just because you feel white and entitled doesn't mean white guys won't be frisked too. Cops are suspicious of anything out of what they consider the ordinary. You can tell them all about your white entitlement while they continue to search you.

Exactly, as a white person I can not go into a black neighborhood with out a punk cop trying to go Dick Tracy on me. They will treat you like a heroin addict just for walking around and pull everything out of your pockets. It never occurs to them that I am walking to a co-workers house, I must be up to no good!

It's so funny that in an era where our own government sells guns to drug cartels US government openly admits arming Mexican drug gangs with 30,000 firearms - but why?, that we blame the small fries. How about going after the people who knowingly put them in the black market. And I got news for you, it ain't Pookie the corner boy with 5 dollars and a crack rock in his pocket..

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 06-01-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Exactly, as a white person I can not go into a black neighborhood with out a punk cop trying to go Dick Tracy on me. They will treat you like a heroin addict just for walking around and pull everything out of your pockets. It never occurs to them that I am walking to a co-workers house, I must be up to no good!

It's so funny that in an era where our own government sells guns to drug cartels US government openly admits arming Mexican drug gangs with 30,000 firearms - but why?, that we blame the small fries. How about going after the people who knowingly put them in the black market. And I got news for you, it ain't Pookie the corner boy with 5 dollars and a crack rock in his pocket..
That happens when I visit an old friend I met in high school too. And my co-worker too (I got him the job here..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: