Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
"The situation in which a police officer who is suspicious of an individual detains the person and runs his hands lightly over the suspect's outer garments to determine if the person is carrying a concealed weapon."
The police already do this, in Chicago. I witnessed just such an incident when waiting for a bus at the Howard CTA Terminal night before last. I see it happen throughout the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 03:07 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
(no, this doesn't have anything to do with the Pride Parade)

I wasn't aware of this law in New York but it's made a huge difference in the gun murder rate in NYC. Since it's been implemented, gun murders/violence are down signficantly in NYC. Statistics have proven that.

"The situation in which a police officer who is suspicious of an individual detains the person and runs his hands lightly over the suspect's outer garments to determine if the person is carrying a concealed weapon."

Now, obviously this law causes controversy because it essentially gives cops the ability to profile and a vast majority of those getting S&F are black or hispanic., BUT....statistics show (and I don't think anyone would argue against it) that young black and hispanic males are also the ones perpetrating most of the gun violence.

I think it's a great idea and would work in Chicago.

What say you?
I think that's a horrible idea. The cops would abuse it and it wouldn't really change anything.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I think that's a horrible idea. The cops would abuse it and it wouldn't really change anything.
Yep!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:46 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Narcs already do that.
And its annoying.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,966 times
Work in impoverished areas of south Chicago I have never been stopped by cops. Not once. You guys are being pretty dramatic

Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Work in impoverished areas of south Chicago I have never been stopped by cops. Not once. You guys are being pretty dramatic
First of all, South Chicago still has a small white population. And my Polish Catholic relatives still go there every now and again for some old historic church.. I've been in South Chicago on the night of December 24th before.

Second of all, you are prabobly over the age of 30. Or at least looking all presentable in your business suit! Just checked your profile and I see you're female... These are all points in your favor as far as cops not messing with you.

Here's are some key points from my dramatic comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
frisking us because the cop didn't like the way we look or dress or twitched our head or body in a suspicious manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Cops are suspicious of anything out of what they consider the ordinary.

Last edited by urza216; 06-01-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 04:58 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,653 times
I love how people think we (Cops) really enjoy patting down scummy, dirty or diseased people. It is amazing the lack of knowledge people have in this area and what their assumptions and stereotypes are. There's Probable Cause, Reasonable Suspicion and Officer Safety Patdowns. People should read and get educated on the differences and what these constitute. Trust me a majority of cops are beginning to give a crap anymore. The days of proactive policing are over. Why do you think shootings and homicides are ticking back up? The average beat cop is still happy to protect the law abiding citizen. Some gangbanger wants to shoot at each other or some hype wants to OD on heroin, have at it. Let Darwin take over. Too many good Cops have gotten sued and their futures risked over scumbag lawyers trying to make a dime off of career criminals.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
I love how people think we (Cops) really enjoy patting down scummy, dirty or diseased people.
"I don't know if they f*gs, or what!
Search a n*gga down and grabbin his nuts"
-Ice Cube (a family film star)

Old 06-01-2012, 05:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
I love how people think we (Cops) really enjoy patting down scummy, dirty or diseased people. It is amazing the lack of knowledge people have in this area and what their assumptions and stereotypes are. There's Probable Cause, Reasonable Suspicion and Officer Safety Patdowns. People should read and get educated on the differences and what these constitute. Trust me a majority of cops are beginning to give a crap anymore. The days of proactive policing are over. Why do you think shootings and homicides are ticking back up? The average beat cop is still happy to protect the law abiding citizen. Some gangbanger wants to shoot at each other or some hype wants to OD on heroin, have at it. Let Darwin take over. Too many good Cops have gotten sued and their futures risked over scumbag lawyers trying to make a dime off of career criminals.
Shut up.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Shut up.
Yeah, I stopped reading halfway through.. But then I went back and forced myself to swallow the rest of his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: