Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,922,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Okay thanks for the heads up. I usually wear nice shorts (J. Crew or Banana Republic, etc), a polo and flip flops this time of year.
If you were in my neighborhood on a weekend I'd assume you were from the suburbs. If you were on North Michigan Ave. I'd assume you were a tourist or possibly from Lincoln Park / Lakeview.

In all seriousness, as others have said, don't worry about what you're wearing. Chicago is generally an anything-goes kind of place in terms of dress, in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
If you were in my neighborhood on a weekend I'd assume you were from the suburbs. If you were on North Michigan Ave. I'd assume you were a tourist or possibly from Lincoln Park / Lakeview.

In all seriousness, as others have said, don't worry about what you're wearing. Chicago is generally an anything-goes kind of place in terms of dress, in my experience.
Yes, exactly. Unless you're trying to go to a really fancy restaurant with jacket and/or slacks/button up required. Most places aren't like that though, but there are a lot of places where a button up is "recommended" but not required necessarily.

Anyway, this is correct. Most places is "anything goes"

Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 AM

40 posts, read 128,736 times
My simplified list for a first time trip to Chicago:

Some of these have been covered but one thing you will realize is that your time will pass by quickly. You may be able to do 2-3 of these each day. I would save the detailed neighborhood spots for your return trip.

1) Millenium Park / Navy Pier / Michigan Ave
2) Signature Room in John Hancock
3) Boat Tour or Bus tour. Boat Tour that goes through the locks and out onto Lake Michigan is best
4) Lincoln Park Zoo + North Ave beach
5) Wrigleyville / Wrigley Field
6) Shedd Aquarium or Field Museum
7) Check here for a summer festival : Summer festivals in Chicago for 2012 - Southtown Star This will be your best chance to see a neigborhood, eat local food, and hear some local bands.

As far as dressing - Just wear whatever during the day. T-shirt, shorts, sandals (no socks) are fine for sight seeing. Just change in the evening and wear a dress shirt, decent jeans, and dress shoes and you will be fine in 95% of the establishments.

There is very low crime in the loop and the near north. Just trust your instincts and don't flaunt electronics or cash. The biggest threat to tourists seems to be CC# theft.

Most cab rides will be between $10-20 so keep this in mind and wear shoes that are comfortable for a lot of walking. This will save your cash for dining out which is one of the treasures of Chicago.

For nightlife: I suggest visiting an area rather than one particular bar or pub. Rush/Divison, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, and Buck Town all offer many options all within a few blocks. Each has it's own uniqueness and different crowds for people watching.

There is so much more than this but for a first timer - I suggest covering the basics.

You can always come back or do like I did and live here.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,651,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, exactly. Unless you're trying to go to a really fancy restaurant with jacket and/or slacks/button up required. Most places aren't like that though, but there are a lot of places where a button up is "recommended" but not required necessarily.

Anyway, this is correct. Most places is "anything goes"
Thanks again. I didn't know if y'all were as laissez faire as the south is (Though we can get stuffy very quickly in certain areas and establishments).

Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch125 View Post
My simplified list for a first time trip to Chicago:

Some of these have been covered but one thing you will realize is that your time will pass by quickly. You may be able to do 2-3 of these each day. I would save the detailed neighborhood spots for your return trip.

1) Millenium Park / Navy Pier / Michigan Ave
2) Signature Room in John Hancock
3) Boat Tour or Bus tour. Boat Tour that goes through the locks and out onto Lake Michigan is best
4) Lincoln Park Zoo + North Ave beach
5) Wrigleyville / Wrigley Field
6) Shedd Aquarium or Field Museum
7) Check here for a summer festival : Summer festivals in Chicago for 2012 - Southtown Star This will be your best chance to see a neigborhood, eat local food, and hear some local bands.

As far as dressing - Just wear whatever during the day. T-shirt, shorts, sandals (no socks) are fine for sight seeing. Just change in the evening and wear a dress shirt, decent jeans, and dress shoes and you will be fine in 95% of the establishments.

There is very low crime in the loop and the near north. Just trust your instincts and don't flaunt electronics or cash. The biggest threat to tourists seems to be CC# theft.

Most cab rides will be between $10-20 so keep this in mind and wear shoes that are comfortable for a lot of walking. This will save your cash for dining out which is one of the treasures of Chicago.

For nightlife: I suggest visiting an area rather than one particular bar or pub. Rush/Divison, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, and Buck Town all offer many options all within a few blocks. Each has it's own uniqueness and different crowds for people watching.

There is so much more than this but for a first timer - I suggest covering the basics.

You can always come back or do like I did and live here.
I was thinking the Willis Tower, Millenium Park and boat tour for Sunday. Lincoln Park Zoo/Boardwalk if there's time before we go somewhere casual and local for dinner.

Then Monday and Tuesday I was going to roam the streets mentioned above and at night we would go to John Hancock and a nicer restaurant one night and a couple local bars/eateries the other night. The last day we could do Wrigley Park, tour the Palmer House or other things in the loop that are interesting before our flight back late that night.

I'm up for walking a lot and I just feel more comfortable wearing flip flops for walking, even great distances.

We might take your suggestion one night to explore the nightlife (though it'll be a Monday or Tuesday and might seem slower than usual).

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions again.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks again. I didn't know if y'all were as laissez faire as the south is (Though we can get stuffy very quickly in certain areas and establishments).
Yeah, depends where. There are places that have dress rules but many don't care at all. Just don't try and go to a nice club with sandals or tennis/athletic shoes on. They will not let you in.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, depends where. There are places that have dress rules but many don't care at all. Just don't try and go to a nice club with sandals or tennis/athletic shoes on. They will not let you in.
That wouldn't be fun haha. I'll stick to the more casual places except for the one night when we would want a nice atmosphere. I know you can get drinks at the John Hancock Center. Do they have food there too or would you just go somewhere else (for better quality, prices or both)?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't be fun haha. I'll stick to the more casual places except for the one night when we would want a nice atmosphere. I know you can get drinks at the John Hancock Center. Do they have food there too or would you just go somewhere else (for better quality, prices or both)?
The lounge part I think only serves drinks. There is a restaurant on the floor below but you probably need reservations? Maybe? It's a nice view, nice atmosphere kind of, but busy.

IMO if you want a nice atmosphere go to the upstairs of Le Colonial too. It's like 1920s French Indochina, dimly lit (candles), tropical trees, with a cool small dark wood bar and also some couches up there, playing chill music. Bring your girlfriend, it's a romantic place. not cheap, but not terribly expensive. It's kind of a controlled casual-nice so if you go, wear what you would to the 16th floor of the Trump Tower. It's on Rush Street near Oak (Rush & Oak..just south of that) and just a few blocks from the John Hancock. Usually closes around midnight or 1 on weekend, although if there's people up there, they close whenever people leave.

Next door to that, just south is the Drawing Room too which is like a cocktail lounge with food. Not open on Mondays, but you'll see a guy outside waiting at a podium and that's how you'll know what it is. They have *interesting* cocktails and stuff down there. I believe the main mixologist won an award for best cocktails in the US once or something.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,515,411 times
You can get food in the Signature Lounge. Fries, cheese plate, etc. Appetizers.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,922,349 times
Quote:
Thanks again. I didn't know if y'all were as laissez faire as the south is
Actually much more so, when it comes to dress, in my experience. People in the South dress up for freaking football games!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago