Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 PM

9 posts, read 29,440 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my family is going to relocate to Chicago.

Could you kindly recommend a place to live, where it is not too far from downtown workplace, but suitable for living for a family of three- husband, wife and a two-year old?

I am looking for a safe neighborhood with good daycares/preschools, but not too far away from downtown (ideally within half hour one-way from home to my company located in downtown).

Thank you very much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 PM

121 posts, read 318,467 times
Just a few questions-

Are you looking to rent or buy a place? What's your price range for either?
By downtown, you mean the loop, correct?
Are you looking for good public or private schools for when the kids get older too?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
Budget and are schools important esp. High school or are you going to go with private school?

The schooling issues sends usually sends families to the burbs but it may not apply here.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Air View Post
Just a few questions-

Are you looking to rent or buy a place? What's your price range for either?
By downtown, you mean the loop, correct?
Are you looking for good public or private schools for when the kids get older too?

I am looking to rent, around $2,000 per month for a three-bedroom apt/townhouse.

Yes, I mean my employer is located in the downtown loop area.

I haven't thought about kids going to school. I think right now I am looking for a good daycare/preschool because my kid is just two years old. So I have three more years to think about this and get to know the city before I buy a house here. :-)

Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Budget and are schools important esp. High school or are you going to go with private school?

The schooling issues sends usually sends families to the burbs but it may not apply here.

I am looking for place to rent in the next three years, mainly looking for a good preschool because my kid is just two years old right now. So I have three more years to think about public vs private schools for my kid. :-)

Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times
Whether or not you and/or your husband will be taking public transit is an issue.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 PM

279 posts, read 759,799 times
My first thoughts would be to look into Lakeview, Ravenswood, and Lincoln Square along the brown line. You should be able to find okay 3BR apartments in those areas for around $2000/month, but they probably will be more vintage types of apartments and not brand new modern lofts. The further north you go, the more home you'll probably get though. If you will have a car and want to park it in a private spot and not deal with street parking, expect to pay an additional $200/month or so for that also. Street parking can be a pain, but as a general rule it gets easier outside of Lakeview / Lincoln Park. Parts of Lakeview, especially around Wrigleyville, definitely have more of a recent college grad crowd than families, but there are many young families in all of those areas. I find Lincoln Square to be a very family friendly area. Obviously your commute to the Loop gets a bit longer as you move further north, but even from Lincoln Square it shouldn't be much over 30 minutes if at all.

I can't really say much about the daycare situation in that area, but I'm certain there should be plenty of them to choose from (though they may not have immediate availability and are likely quite expensive: $400-$500 / week would probably not be unusual).

Old 04-13-2011, 03:34 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Kinda sprinboarding off the the Garfield Ridge discussion I sorrta wonder if any "promoters of city living" would suggest that the OP venture into say Archer Heights -- Orange line from Pulaski to Harold Washington is allegedly about 22 minutes. Housing prices have tumbled down that a way. Plenty of beef stands and tacos...

Personally a little too close to the airport and the not-as-safe as area where the cops live for me, but if low prices and short transit times are what you want...
http://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/472.../home/14023330

Last edited by chet everett; 04-13-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Kinda sprinboarding off the the Garfield Ridge discussion I sorrta wonder if any "promoters of city living" would suggest that the OP venture into say Archer Heights -- Orange line from Pulaski to Harold Washington is allegedly about 22 minutes. Housing prices have tumbled down that a way. Plenty of beef stands and tacos...

Personally a little too close to the airport and the not-as-safe as area where the cops live for me, but if low prices and short transit times are what you want...
4725 S KARLOV Ave, CHICAGO, IL 60632 | MLS# 07750314
Well, if you're going to springboard off that thread, at least recommend the census tracts that were nicer and well kept, per what Brian said.

I remember looking into that new development in Archer Heights a while back. I remember the neighborhood over all well enough to know that I wanted nothing to do with it. Did that sub division ever get off the ground?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 PM

20 posts, read 59,698 times
I would say gold coast area or Streeterville - near to loop.. safe neighbor hood..

Irving park/Lincoln square are also very good for family.. Lots of parks around to take your child out...

But 3BR for 2000 -Gold coast is out.. Lincoln square/Irving park would my best bet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago