Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 PM

81 posts, read 238,679 times

Advertisements

I just can not comprehend why this still occurs in Chicago. Group of Bears refused entrance to nightclub :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: People (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/people/2842710,CST-NWS-stella28.article?plckCurrentPage=5&sid=sitelife.su ntimes.com - broken link)

I remember hearing a similar story where a group of Washington U students were denied entry to a bar because their group had a couple of African American students. Now they are denying entry to the cities professional football team due to the fact that many of the athletes were black?? I mean many of them are millionaires, and it proves my theory many white people, no matter how liberal they claim to be have racial tendencies, and preferably want everything to remain segregated.

This is the reason why many clubs and bars in Lincoln Park, River North and the Gold Coast remain white and Chicago continues to be segregated...many African Americans know they wont be genuinely appreciated for their business no matter how successful and professional they are, so why go to a place where you will feel awkward and uncomfortable.

I remember my friend and I inviting this cute and cool dude who happened black to a popular hotspot in Lincoln Park years ago, for happy hour. He declined and we asked him why and he said something that it was not integrated. We did not understand what he was talking about then, but after years of observation now I know why. It is amazing because you don't hear stories like this in cities like Seattle and LA but it is occurs here occassionally. Such a shame

Old 10-28-2010, 02:19 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I just can not comprehend why this still occurs in Chicago. Group of Bears refused entrance to nightclub :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: People (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/people/2842710,CST-NWS-stella28.article?plckCurrentPage=5&sid=sitelife.su ntimes.com - broken link)

I remember hearing a similar story where a group of Washington U students were denied entry to a bar because their group had a couple of African American students. Now they are denying entry to the cities professional football team due to the fact that many of the athletes were black?? I mean many of them are millionaires, and it proves my theory many white people, no matter how liberal they claim to be have racial tendencies, and preferably want everything to remain segregated.
It sounds like they were denied from the bar because they had an event going on. I went to Angles & Kings once and it sucked, but the crowd was pretty diverse from what I recall.

Quote:

This is the reason why many clubs and bars in Lincoln Park, River North and the Gold Coast remain white and Chicago continues to be segregated...many African Americans know they wont be genuinely appreciated for their business no matter how successful and professional they are, so why go to a place where you will feel awkward and uncomfortable.

I remember my friend and I inviting this cute and cool dude who happened black to a popular hotspot in Lincoln Park years ago, for happy hour. He declined and we asked him why and he said something that it was not integrated. We did not understand what he was talking about then, but after years of observation now I know why. It is amazing because you don't hear stories like this in cities like Seattle and LA but it is occurs here occassionally. Such a shame
From what I have seen it's pretty much like this most places. The bars in Manhattan or Hollywood have a similar divide (except for maybe more Asians mixed in with the white people).

Old 10-28-2010, 02:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Seeing that the group of Bears included several white people like Urlacher (and his brother),Craig Steltz, and Hunter Hillenmeyer, I find this accusation to be ridiculous.

Stella Foster needs to be more responsible with her stories.

"Every Monday night, operations of the bar are turned over to an outside vendor who hosts special events..."

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/people/2842710,CST-NWS-stella28.article?plckCurrentPage=5&sid=sitelife.su ntimes.com (broken link)

The Bears probably were not let in because a private party was being held. Waaaaaaaa.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
This just shows that the Sun-Times is still more idiotic than the Trib, as difficult as they may be.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
When something doesn't make any sense, it's usually because it's not true. This story feels like a real stretch. I have no doubt in my mind that this sort of thing happens, probably even regularly, but not to those traveling with freakin' Urlacher.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,107 times
Im guessing the OP didnt read the article, or at least hoping. Next time I go to Solider field and cant get in without a ticket Ill contact the papers and say it was cuz of my race

Old 10-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
...Next time I go to Solider field and cant get in without a ticket Ill contact the papers and say it was cuz of my race
A bunch of us should go from this forum and make sure we bring as many "noir members" as we can.

When we all get denied we can call JJ.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:40 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,729,074 times
I have read two articles on this. The original article posted here and another article which interviews the players. Pretty much, it is unclear what happened. It is plausible that the denial of entrance was racially motivated (which is illegal by the way), but there is also a claim that the bouncers did not want hundreds of people flocking to the club if people knew 25 Bears players were there.

By the way, I think Angels and Kings is not that fun. The only reason people go is because it is owned by Pete Wentz or because they are transplants from Iowa.

Social 25 is better.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
...and another article which interviews the players....By the way, I think Angels and Kings is not that fun. The only reason people go is because it is owned by Pete Wentz or because they are transplants from Iowa...
Can you post the link?

Why would Bear players want to go to that craphole anyway?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
funny thing, this happens all the time. not only in chicago. as an african american i am thankful when businesses show their true colors so i can avoid giving my money to bigots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago