Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:07 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times

Advertisements

I want to wander around Devon street and pick up some simple "street" indian food (ex. samosa chaat etc..) and to buy some cheap spices. I've never been there before, and don't know the far North side well.

Any recs on which train stop I should get out at/best direction to wander?

Any specific recommendations for the kind of food I'm looking for, or a specific grocer that has good deals on spices?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 07:16 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I want to wander around Devon street and pick up some simple "street" indian food (ex. samosa chaat etc..) and to buy some cheap spices. I've never been there before, and don't know the far North side well.

Any recs on which train stop I should get out at/best direction to wander?

Any specific recommendations for the kind of food I'm looking for, or a specific grocer that has good deals on spices?

Thanks.
To get there by public transit, there's a few options if you want to take the train. One is Red Line to Loyola, and then hop on the 155 bus. Another is Brown Line to Western and then take the 49B bus up. Honestly, most of the stuff is between Western and California, so that's why you have to take the bus portion of it as there's no train stop within short walking distance (WISH there was).

I'm going to be weird, but I am a fan of Hema's Kitchen up there. Also, this one place is not on Devon but Luzzat off the Jarvis Red Line is really, really good stuff too.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-10-2012 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 08:00 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
To get there by public transit, there's a few options if you want to take the train. One is Red Line to Loyola, and then hop on the 155 bus. Another is Brown Line to Western and then take the 49B bus up. Honestly, most of the stuff is between Western and California, so that's why you have to take the bus portion of it as there's no train stop within short walking distance (WISH there was).

I'm going to be weird, but I am a fan of Hema's Kitchen up there. Also, this one place is not on Devon but Luzzat off the Jarvis Red Line is really, really good stuff too.

Thanks for the travel info. I'm coming from Oak Park, so that sounds like a long trip but I've been wanting to try...

Never heard of Hema's. Why does that make you weird?

Any other recs for places on the Devon strip?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,916 times
Quote:
Thanks for the travel info. I'm coming from Oak Park, so that sounds like a long trip but I've been wanting to try...

Two words: Khan BBQ, right at Devon and Western. Get the chicken boti and the goat chanp (if it's available).

Khan BBQ -- Chicago -- Devon

Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:

Makes sense. It's a cool area...and try out Luzzat sometime Really good stuff....definite hidden gem of Chicago (but I haven't had it for a year).

It makes me weird because it's kind of cliche. They have a few other locations in the city (i.e. Lincoln Park). I think someone mentioned it but...Khan BBQ is good too.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,916 times
Also forgot to mention Ghareeb Nawaz (2032 W Devon Avenue, (773) 761-5300) which is a bit east of the main Devon corridor, but it has outstanding chicken hareem and hunter beef.

As far as markets, there are a ton between Western and California. Patel Brothers and Fresh Farms are certainly the biggest and probably have the most variety, although Fresh Farms isn't specifically an Indo-Pak market.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I think Devon is 6400 N., but I haven't driven that it in a looong time. It seemed like it took forever from Lincoln Park by car.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
From Oak Park, I suggest driving rather than taking the train and bus. Parking can be a problem near the Devon strip though.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:10 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
Some guy I went on a blind date with back in 2002 or so took me to Devon St. for dinner (we both loved Indian food). Afterwards he took me to a video rental place where he bought some kind of legal street stimulant.. pink stuff wrapped in a leaf (I've since discovered the leaf was betel, still don't know what the contents were). I was willing to try it, but required 1.5 sweet lassis to get rid of the headache it gave me. I weighed about 90 pounds at the time.. so.. probably wasn't a good idea to chew the whole thing.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
I'd also recommend driving. Taking the train from Oak Park will likely be a 90 minute trip by transit vs 30-45 minutes by car depending on traffic. Now if you made that part of a whole day in the city and could split the trip up, it might not be too bad. But that's still a lot of time on the trains.

Your other option is to take the train downtown and then take a cab to Devon. Train to the Loop from Oak park is like 30 minutes, and a cab to Devon form the Loop is 20-25 minutes. But that would push your cost to close to $50 or a little more for two people, round-trip, so that's kind of a lot of money - it'd only be about another $20 to get a ZipCar for a day at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago