Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 7,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It has an in-unit W/D.. This is where the compromising part I was talking about comes in. It has most things on your list, and while it doesn't have the most amazing kitchen ever (your budget will have to go up for that, or your neighborhood list will have to expand outwards type of thing), it still has a decent kitchen most likely with everything else in a great location. I think there's more places around the area too with similar types of things within your budget.
This is an excellent building/unit. It has an indoor sauna/pool and 24 hour dry cleaning service. That's my kind of building. I'm in the process of compiling a list of 6 different apt buildings within close proximity to my job. I'll head down in August to start viewing them in person. The West Huron is now at the top of my list. Again, you've really been extremely helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2121 View Post
This is an excellent building/unit. It has an indoor sauna/pool and 24 hour dry cleaning service. That's my kind of building. I'm in the process of compiling a list of 6 different apt buildings within close proximity to my job. I'll head down in August to start viewing them in person. The West Huron is now at the top of my list. Again, you've really been extremely helpful!
No problem. Here's a few more nice buildings in the area:

420 East Ohio | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®
- Could take a short bus ride to work. This is Streeterville. Not as close to the train station though. Fairly close to a Dominick's, Trader Joe's, and Fox and Obel (look it up).

Onterie | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®
Kind of near the above..

Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,253 times
As stated in a previous post, the rental market is pretty hot right now .. To find what you're looking for, there are ( were) condos for rent that have granite, in unit w/d , etc even in one bedrooms , but close to work will be at the higher end of your price range .. Not sure what the supply is like at the moment ..

The Harris Teeter equivalent here will be Jewel or Dominicks.. Plus there's a Marianos ( Roundys) opening in the West Loop ..

Good Luck ..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 PM

413 posts, read 832,576 times
Confused on the Harris Teeter thing. If we are just talking Whole Foods and Trader Joe's then there are probably less than 10 in the city. If we are including Jewel and Dominicks then we are including most of the city.

I'd drop Hyde Park if I were you. Commute will be longer, trains will be less frequent, grocery stores and other amenties will be less prevalent. I am sure if was recommended because of its big African American population but otherwise there are probably 20 neighborhoods that come closer to meeting your criteria.

You will get what you want if you live in west loop, west town, ukrainian village or wicker park and can deal with Jewel. Jewel is the major chain grocery store of Chicagoland. Owned by Albertsons. There are Jewels near the blue line grand stop and the division stop. The one on Des Plaines near Grand Ave is really really nice and the one at Division is pretty ghetto.

Blue line Division stop is 3 stops or 7 minutes from Clark and Lake and the Grand stop is 1 stop or 3 minutes from Clark and Lake. Clark and Lake is less than 2 blocks from your office. West Loop also has a pretty large AA population.

This place has W/D and a nice kitchen for $1800.
https://www.padmapper.com/show.php?t...42061&src=main

Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Not really correct to say that Jewel is owned by Albertsons. The consolidation and restructuring of the national retail grocery business has seen HUGE consolidation. Albertsons and Jewel and both important divisions under the "SuperValu" mega-empire -- lots of "regional brands" are under the various divisions:
ACME®, ALBERTSONS®, CUB®, FARM FRESH®, HORNBACHER'S®, JEWEL-OSCO®, SHAW'S/STAR MARKET®, SHOP ‘N SAVE® and SHOPPERS®.

Grocery Retail: SUPERVALU

Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM

7 posts, read 6,926 times
Quote:
No problem. Here's a few more nice buildings in the area:

420 East Ohio | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®
- Could take a short bus ride to work. This is Streeterville. Not as close to the train station though. Fairly close to a Dominick's, Trader Joe's, and Fox and Obel (look it up).

Onterie | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®
Kind of near the above..

TO OP

Marothisu has given you great advice! I just wanted to add that I was just there in Chicago and locked sth down for 1,500 inclusive of rent, water, heat, cable and all the upgraded amenities. Including washer dryer in the unit, black appliances etc. It is a condo, built in 2006 and I found it through a local broker. So maybe you may want to get in touch with local brokers because they may help you find something in that range and with the amenities you desire. Chicago is a hot market and yes, I went through looking at many places because many people are looking and so you have to really stay on top but it is doable. I suggest you focus on the south loop also. I found my place in the South Loop and I am loving it. Also, I am moving from Georgia so it was important to make a trip to actually see the places instead of relying on online pictures. South Loop is diverse and has many great grocery shops, as well as some bars and restaurants...It is not too loud and I think you will like the neighboorhood and still be close to your work. Just my idea as I just got back from Chicago house hunting trip.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabali View Post
TO OP

Marothisu has given you great advice! I just wanted to add that I was just there in Chicago and locked sth down for 1,500 inclusive of rent, water, heat, cable and all the upgraded amenities. Including washer dryer in the unit, black appliances etc. It is a condo, built in 2006 and I found it through a local broker. So maybe you may want to get in touch with local brokers because they may help you find something in that range and with the amenities you desire. Chicago is a hot market and yes, I went through looking at many places because many people are looking and so you have to really stay on top but it is doable. I suggest you focus on the south loop also. I found my place in the South Loop and I am loving it. Also, I am moving from Georgia so it was important to make a trip to actually see the places instead of relying on online pictures. South Loop is diverse and has many great grocery shops, as well as some bars and restaurants...It is not too loud and I think you will like the neighboorhood and still be close to your work. Just my idea as I just got back from Chicago house hunting trip.

Good luck!
Totally agree about the South Loop. There are nice places there and some things around, but it's not too crazy. Should be within OP's budget for some places for sure. The OP can get to work pretty easily and quickly too (depending on where they are in relation to the train).

By the way, glad you found a place you like! Are you there now or moving soon? Welcome to Chicago

Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 6,926 times
Quote:
Totally agree about the South Loop. There are nice places there and some things around, but it's not too crazy. Should be within OP's budget for some places for sure. The OP can get to work pretty easily and quickly too (depending on where they are in relation to the train).

By the way, glad you found a place you like! Are you there now or moving soon? Welcome to Chicago
Yes, I am so relieved and thanks to you also for all the great advice you had given me a couple of weeks ago regarding neighboorhoods and public transportation!

I will be moving August 1st and I am really excited because I do love my new South Loop neighboorhood
The apartment search was a bit stressful but I am was determined to find a nice place and was able to do so!! Now I do not have to worry about a place and I have a job also!!

Thanks for welcoming me to Chicago. I hope that my body will be able to adjust to the winter as I have only lived in the South BUT I did spend a considerable amount of time in Germany where the winters can get bad. ....

Old 07-11-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabali View Post
Yes, I am so relieved and thanks to you also for all the great advice you had given me a couple of weeks ago regarding neighboorhoods and public transportation!

I will be moving August 1st and I am really excited because I do love my new South Loop neighboorhood
The apartment search was a bit stressful but I am was determined to find a nice place and was able to do so!! Now I do not have to worry about a place and I have a job also!!

Thanks for welcoming me to Chicago. I hope that my body will be able to adjust to the winter as I have only lived in the South BUT I did spend a considerable amount of time in Germany where the winters can get bad. ....
No problem. Glad you're excited about it! Don't worry too much about winter yet. The good thing about winter is you can layer yourself. Get a decent coat/jacket, and invest in a nice scarf (if you can get a good silk or cashmere one for under $80, go for it), gloves, and some 180s (Amazon.com: 180s Women's Urban Ear Warmer: Clothing - you can find them at Macy's too). You'll be fine. It might seem cold, but yeah you can layer and you'll get used to it hopefully, eventually! Chicago isn't bad for a northern state, and many people live here who grew up in ridiculously warmer climates (try India and Pakistan where it's always 110 in the summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago