Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:42 PM

6 posts, read 6,426 times

Advertisements

"Actual Police work that makes a difference" Hmm I guess that's one way to look at it and unfortunately I think that is becoming the norm and not the exception. So where does the line get drawn at? This is a case where the evidence is pretty cut and dry. He got pulled over so they know he was in possession of a stolen vehicle that they even impounded. That's a felony any way you look at it and they have a victim ready and willing to take his time and pursue it and go to court. I suppose if the crime rate keeps climbing soon it will be OK for other felonies. Which felonies would you propose are overlooked next? From what you are saying they are also too busy for DUI arrest (which I personally have no opinion on one way or the other I can only speak from my experience) and drunken driving statistics are pretty bad.

I think you truly hit the problem here and that is “When they have to come in on their day off to go to court, just to see some guy get lawyered up and then get off on a technicality". I completely agree with this view and think that way too many people get off when they shouldn't. Although I will say technicalities are based mostly upon someone not doing their job correctly in the first place and the defendant’s lawyer exploiting the mistake.

I feel for them getting shot at and I guess I have a different view on how it should be handled. If you look at statistics it seems like over the years the more everything becomes politically correct and the more people look the other way the higher the crime rate gets. Now they don't even have time for what you would refer to as a felony that in their "discretion" doesn't warrant an attempt at prosecution.

Hopefully your opinion is one of the minority and not the majority because if so then we as a society have no where to go but down by standing on the sidelines and excepting what comes our way whether we like it or not. I will say this much the more I hear that they don't have the time or resources the more you all drive me to make sure he gets arrested.

And by the way I didn't turn it in on my insurance because I don't want my rates to go up and then it cost me more in the long run. I am willing to suck up the time and cost so why shouldn't I expect those in charge to do the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
That's the thing, the cop figured it's covered by insurance, and probably sees all kinds of car thefts in a week.
Nobody was hurt, and you got your car back.

Besides, what are you going to do, waste your time going to court to prosecute? It sounds like this guy that stole your van doesn't have any money anyway, so you're going to pay for the lawyer but never see it come back.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_in_chicago View Post
"Actual Police work that makes a difference" Hmm I guess that's one way to look at it and unfortunately I think that is becoming the norm and not the exception. So where does the line get drawn at? This is a case where the evidence is pretty cut and dry. He got pulled over so they know he was in possession of a stolen vehicle that they even impounded. That's a felony any way you look at it and they have a victim ready and willing to take his time and pursue it and go to court. I suppose if the crime rate keeps climbing soon it will be OK for other felonies. Which felonies would you propose are overlooked next? From what you are saying they are also too busy for DUI arrest (which I personally have no opinion on one way or the other I can only speak from my experience) and drunken driving statistics are pretty bad.

I think you truly hit the problem here and that is “When they have to come in on their day off to go to court, just to see some guy get lawyered up and then get off on a technicality". I completely agree with this view and think that way too many people get off when they shouldn't. Although I will say technicalities are based mostly upon someone not doing their job correctly in the first place and the defendant’s lawyer exploiting the mistake.

I feel for them getting shot at and I guess I have a different view on how it should be handled. If you look at statistics it seems like over the years the more everything becomes politically correct and the more people look the other way the higher the crime rate gets. Now they don't even have time for what you would refer to as a felony that in their "discretion" doesn't warrant an attempt at prosecution.

Hopefully your opinion is one of the minority and not the majority because if so then we as a society have no where to go but down by standing on the sidelines and excepting what comes our way whether we like it or not. I will say this much the more I hear that they don't have the time or resources the more you all drive me to make sure he gets arrested.

And by the way I didn't turn it in on my insurance because I don't want my rates to go up and then it cost me more in the long run. I am willing to suck up the time and cost so why shouldn't I expect those in charge to do the same!
The more you politicize this and talk about the good ol' days the more I'm unconvinced of your story FWIW.

Especially because crime is lower than it was "back then" when things were politically incorrect, so your point is nonsensical.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 6,426 times
I guess I am mis-reading the news reports then not to mention this has now digressed from what my point is all about. Besides I am not that old that I remember the good ol'days I am basing my thoughts on current news events like below.

I completely understand your point of me trying to politicize this and my apologizes for coming across that way. A felony is a felony and why should this guy walk? Turning this kind of thing into insurance and walking away just adds to increased insurance rates for everyone. I actually believe Chicago is a great place and has a lot to offer I am just very disappointed in the point of view that there are bigger things to worry about.

More young people are killed in Chicago than any other American city
More young people are killed in Chicago than any other American city | The Chicago Reporter

Violent Crime Comparison per 1,000 residents
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Deadly Distinction: Chicago Has the Highest Murder Rate in the U.S.
Deadly Distinction: Chicago Has the Highest Murder Rate in the U.S. | News | BET

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has a warning for gangs: Stay away from our kids.
As murder rate climbs, Chicago mayor makes

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Homicides in Chicago over the last 20 years.
1991: 927
1992: 943
1993: 855
1994: 931
1995: 828
1996: 796
1997: 761
1998: 704
1999: 643
2000: 633
2001: 667
2002: 656
2003: 601
2004: 453
2005: 451
2006: 471
2007: 448
2008: 513
2009: 459
2010: 436
2011: 433

Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt_in_chicago View Post
A felony is a felony and why should this guy walk?[/color][color=black] Turning this kind of thing into insurance and walking away just adds to increased insurance rates for everyone. I actually believe Chicago is a great place and has a lot to offer I am just very disappointed in the point of view that there are bigger things to worry about.
Too late. When I moved from the burbs to the city, my car insurance went up a good deal...Because this is what happens in the city.
I got in an accident (or was t-boned while going through a green) and the cops basically just let it go. No license, no insurance, whatever. It was clear the person didn't have the means to pay anything anyway, why would I waste my time?
I claimed it on my insurance and went about my business. Let the insurance company go after the guy for legal fees and what not, that's their job. Why do I pay for insurance? Besides, I'm not sure what your issue is? Your insurance won't go up since you're not at fault.

Hell, you should consider yourself lucky you got your truck back....In mostly one piece. Many never see their vehicles again, or if they do, they find the shell of a car on cinder blocks in some deserted part of the scary part of town.

Last edited by rparz; 08-10-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: