Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times

Advertisements

IMO, some of the worst CTA stations are on the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line, where you have to walk 1/2 a mile just to get down to the platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
bump:

U.S. Taxpayers Are Gouged on Mass Transit Costs - Bloomberg

this is extremely interesting...

Old 10-25-2021, 06:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,543 times
I saw a local news reporting a few years ago rank the worst L stops for crime and it was all the south side red line stops past Sox-35th with the 95th/Dan Ryan being the worst. Those stops are all in some very high crime areas, so I’m not surprised. I’d also say the blue line stops along the Eisenhower from Western to Austin are just as bad and the green line for the most part goes through the sketchy south and west sides as well.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:38 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
I overheard a conversation between two CTA employees who expressed fear about working in the Pulaski station on the Green Line, due to the high crime rate in that area.

This station is located in West Garfield Park. It was reported in the Sun-Times a few years ago that the epicenter of violent crime on the west side is the intersection of Pulaski Rd. and Adams St. (4000W-200S) in West Garfield Park. That intersection is roughly one-half mile from this Green Line station.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:50 PM

3,446 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I overheard a conversation between two CTA employees who expressed fear about working in the Pulaski station on the Green Line, due to the high crime rate in that area.

This station is located in West Garfield Park. It was reported in the Sun-Times a few years ago that the epicenter of violent crime on the west side is the intersection of Pulaski Rd. and Adams St. (4000W-200S) in West Garfield Park. That intersection is roughly one-half mile from this Green Line station.
16th Street east of Pulaski, traditionally has been very bad too. But yeah, doesn't surprise me the area near Adams and Pulaski struggles with crime a lot. I actually used that stop not long ago during Open House Chicago weekend, and yep got that feeling it wasn't a nice area. That said no one begged me for money, which at least was good. Was able to get a Divvy e-bike off of Kinzie St, without any issues. And you'd be surprised at the number of businesses, that do have a warehouse on that part of Kinzie. Such as Andy's Deli(yes that one up in Gladstone Park), and others.

I certainly wish the Hotel Guyon building could be renovated, and saved from demolition. But only time will tell, whether that building is saved before it's too late. I'm greatly praying someone gives it a top to bottom renovation, and that it isn't the next very big abandoned building to get demolished in Chicago.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:35 PM

796 posts, read 930,815 times
I think the green line 63rd and king drive is the worst.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:34 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
I think the green line 63rd and king drive is the worst.
Not by a lot.

Maybe the Halsted/63 or Ashland/63 stations. I used to know someone who ran an Airbnb near Racine and 63rd. She had three problems:
1) Dumb guests who didn't read the listing and then left negative reviews
2) Airbnb stringing her of hosting after too many of those
3) CPD telling white guests to get out of the neighborhood

None of her guests experienced crime, though.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:51 AM

410 posts, read 634,053 times
NBC 5 News gathered some data for a report on crime occurring on CTA stations.The results may be surprsing.

The Jackson Red Line ranks #1 for violent crime, and 3rd for theft. Whereas the Clark/Lake station ranked #1 for thefts.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:04 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Some of these are due to sheer volume of riders/trains.

Belmont was one of the higher crime stops too, but three lines all stop there w/ transfers, and it's a huge/busy stop in a nice neighborhood. I've never felt unsafe there.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:42 AM

483 posts, read 886,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Not by a lot.

Maybe the Halsted/63 or Ashland/63 stations. I used to know someone who ran an Airbnb near Racine and 63rd. She had three problems:
1) Dumb guests who didn't read the listing and then left negative reviews
2) Airbnb stringing her of hosting after too many of those
3) CPD telling white guests to get out of the neighborhood

None of her guests experienced crime, though.
You're talking about her. I've read about her, and she still has listings up.

Meet Nonya B. of WaitHereChicago in Englewood - Voyage Chicago | Chicago City Guide

Belmont was rated high, but as stated, it's due to all the traffic there. Doesn't feel unsafe, though. The most unnerving stations are those with the underground tunnels in the loop area. I'm not a fan of Roosevelt either. As long as there are others around, it's not bad. When you're the only one on the platform with a long wait, it can be concerning, especially if some shady characters show up. Best to use the app and monitor the times so you're not on the platform alone for long periods of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago