Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,684,634 times

Advertisements

When I still lived in Chicago and was trying to figure out how to reduce my fuel costs I looked into getting a car that runs on CNG.
The pumps have been charging about 2.79 for years, and there's a station in DesPlaines by O'Hare, the Marathon at Belmont and Western, and the Marathon East of the highway near Taylor street all sell the fuel. Look for the taxi cabs.

That pretty much covered me in any direction I wanted to go for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 06:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,333,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
CTA only users can't get no girls without a car.
Do you really want someone who is that superficial?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,756,946 times
If I were a pretty woman I would want a man to have a car too. I can't stand going everywhere by CTA and taxi.

But "Bike poor guys" get along with "Bike poor girls."

Old 08-19-2012, 06:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,925,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Superficial and also not very smart, since that's not an accurate way to measure someone's income or wealth in this city. I have a car, but I know people who earn almost twice as much $ as me who don't have one.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
How would you take girls out on dates that live on opposite sides?

I know a girl that's a cta buff and she walks from the orange line western stop to ashland/51st and I don't feel comfortable

And I ain't about to walk her all the way over there then walk back and go on the blue line all the way to FP

Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
How would you take girls out on dates that live on opposite sides?

I know a girl that's a cta buff and she walks from the orange line western stop to ashland/51st and I don't feel comfortable

And I ain't about to walk her all the way over there then walk back and go on the blue line all the way to FP
So how does she get around when she's not with you? Do her friends drive her everywhere?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
So how does she get around when she's not with you? Do her friends drive her everywhere?
What am I her dad?
There's stores on every corner. She can survive without all that traveling.
But if she wants to hang out yes she does take that route.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
What am I her dad?
There's stores on every corner. She can survive without all that traveling.
But if she wants to hang out yes she does take that route.
My point is that you're not her dad, and if she manages to live the rest of her life without a car (including, presumably going out with friends or other people who aren't you) she should be able to manage to go out with you without a car.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,223,833 times
As others have mentioned gas prices are high in Illinois and Chicago for a few reasons, one of which is our special formulation (thank you ADM lobbyists).

Ultimately tho' price differences aren't something that should break the bank for most people. If you're buying 10 gallons of gas a week the difference in what you pay in a state with really high gas prices vs. a state with really low gas prices is going to add up to about $20/month. That's some money, but it's really not all that much. The difference between Chicago and surrounding suburbs is going to add up to maybe $5-8/month. Even if you're driving an SUV 60 miles everyday there are a lot of other things you can do (i.e. moving closer to work, getting a more fuel efficient car, etc.). Even then you're looking at spending an extra $25-30/month for gas in the city vs. the further suburbs.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,113,057 times
The high gas prices still do not relieve the congestion in Chicago.
Along with the high gas price I would add the gridlock and congestion in a top ten list.

The current infrastructure is not able to handle the rush hour demands, let alone the demands 5 years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago