Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 PM

425 posts, read 371,370 times

Advertisements

Saying "diversity in all walks of life" is extremely ambiguous, so in terms of ethnicity and socioeconomic status, saying Chicago is second tier? I cant believe I read that tonight to be honest.

In what way are Miami and LA in another tier?

Seems to me youre basing it entirely off of foreign born population maybe? Im not sure, but not all cities have the "luxury" of living extremely close to such porous international borders as Miami and LA do, which surely influence and inflate the figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
Saying "diversity in all walks of life" is extremely ambiguous, so in terms of ethnicity and socioeconomic status, saying Chicago is second tier? I cant believe I read that tonight to be honest.

In what way are Miami and LA in another tier?

Seems to me youre basing it entirely off of foreign born population maybe? Im not sure, but not all cities have the "luxury" of living extremely close to such porous international borders as Miami and LA do, which surely influence and inflate the figures.
Yes. That is exactly what I was referring to.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes. That is exactly what I was referring to.

That just accounts for the percentage born in another country. It in no way represents a broad palette of people from "all walks of life."

Especially Miami, which is mainly White and Hispanic. Its 1% Asian and 19% Black, among others, which are extremely low numbers in comparison with Chicago and NYC.

Approximately 59.4% of Los Angeles' residents were born in the United States, and 0.9% were born in Puerto Rico, US territories, or abroad to American parents. 39.7% of the population were foreign-born. Most foreigners (64.5%) were born in Latin America. A large minority (26.3%) were born in Asia.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
In whatever way Chicago is a global, world class city, its diversity in all walks of life are not on the level of the big three in the US: NYC, LA, and Miami.
Ummm....no. Miami has a large Hispanic population, and the largest Cuban population in the country. That does not make it diverse. Chicago has the largest Eastern European immigrant communities in the US, along with respectably sized Asian and Middle Eastern immigrant communities. Miami has nothing of the sort, and is by every definition less diverse. NYC is truly a melting pot, and LA has a very large Asian community along with a very sizable population of Iranian, Armenian, and Lebanese immigrants. They can be considered to more diverse than Chicago in some ways, but Miami?!?! No way. Miami is the American gateway to Central and South America, but it doesn't have much diversity beyond that.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
NYC is truly a melting pot, and LA has a very large Asian community along with a very sizable population of Iranian, Armenian, and Lebanese immigrants.
i agree with the portions of LA's population you mention, but I think it more diverse than even that indicates. my assessment is that LA is every bit as diverse as New York. I don't have the stat to prove it, but I do believe that I have read that LA is the leading POE in the US.

Quote:
Miami is the American gateway to Central and South America, but it doesn't have much diversity beyond that.
indeed it is. and it serves even more than that role; Miami is where Latin America and the US link up and interface. Miami is part of the US and part of Latin America.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i agree with the portions of LA's population you mention, but I think it more diverse than even that indicates. my assessment is that LA is every bit as diverse as New York. I don't have the stat to prove it, but I do believe that I have read that LA is the leading POE in the US.
Agreed. I just mentioned some of the communities in LA that I know well, there are certainly others I missed.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Ummm....no. Miami has a large Hispanic population, and the largest Cuban population in the country. That does not make it diverse. Chicago has the largest Eastern European immigrant communities in the US, along with respectably sized Asian and Middle Eastern immigrant communities. Miami has nothing of the sort, and is by every definition less diverse. NYC is truly a melting pot, and LA has a very large Asian community along with a very sizable population of Iranian, Armenian, and Lebanese immigrants. They can be considered to more diverse than Chicago in some ways, but Miami?!?! No way. Miami is the American gateway to Central and South America, but it doesn't have much diversity beyond that.
Umm, in today's PC world, eastern European immigrants are not considered ''diverse''; diversity means blacks & hispanics. So let's not count the white Europeans as adding to diversity anywhere.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Umm, in today's PC world, eastern European immigrants are not considered ''diverse''; diversity means blacks & hispanics. So let's not count the white Europeans as adding to diversity anywhere.

Thats foolish considering how many different languages and cultures are spoken amongst them.

Theres more to diversity than just White, Black, Asian and Hispanic.

We are talking hundreds of different languages and cultures here.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 AM

76 posts, read 280,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsja View Post
Im thinking of coming to Chicago. It seems like a great city but
the impression I get from guide books is that its a city where nothing
changes like you could live in then same place for years and still have the same coffee house or bakery on the corner. I've been to New York where new restaurants would open all
the time. Does this happen in Chicago or does the city remain the same?
It's getting better and better. We have some TV shows that always showcase new restaurants and activities in Chicago like 190 North, Check Please!, etc me and my wife like to watch those and check out new places that way. There are TONS of awesome restaurants.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 AM

403 posts, read 930,215 times
Regarding restaurants, bakeries, etc., I agree with many responses. Sure there are long-standing places like any great city. That said there are TONS of new places opening in neighborhoods throughout the city constantly. I can't imagine many cities more vibrant than Chicago in that regard.

Check out timeoutchicago.com or chicagoreader.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago