Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM

389 posts, read 920,850 times

Advertisements

What economic and political effect it would have on both cities and nations? Do you think they would grow larger than they are today? Do you think they would jointly cooperate and operate airports? I assume roadways, rails, trains, subways would be maintained by each side of two countries separately with some common links like Chicago skyway by both. So what it would be if Chicago was where it is today and Toronto in Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
What economic and political effect it would have on both cities and nations? Do you think they would grow larger than they are today? Do you think they would jointly cooperate and operate airports? I assume roadways, rails, trains, subways would be maintained by each side of two countries separately with some common links like Chicago skyway by both. So what it would be if Chicago was where it is today and Toronto in Indiana.
Question: Would Indianapolis then be in Ontario? Also, would Beijing join forces with London? Would Paris, France, and Paris, Texas be the same place, and would Tokyo, Dubai, and Peoria form a joint Moon colony? Or not? I just want to make sure I have the details straight, because all of those variables would affect this hypothetical.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Question: Would Indianapolis then be in Ontario? Also, would Beijing join forces with London? Would Paris, France, and Paris, Texas be the same place, and would Tokyo, Dubai, and Peoria form a joint Moon colony? Or not? I just want to make sure I have the details straight, because all of those variables would affect this hypothetical.
This is an academic insight that anyone might write a good research paper about at universities for social studies. This is not the place to make something fun of with trolling posts.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:15 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
This is an academic insight that anyone might write a good research paper about at universities for social studies. This is not the place to make something fun of with trolling posts.
It's just a real hard question to answer. It's to general and far fetched. It's like asking "what if I was born in a different family?" like how can one give a straight answer to that.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 PM

148 posts, read 238,892 times
Default lol

pay no mind to the above poster. just trying to jerk yer chain and practice sarcasm, but ill entertain ya...

so what if chicago and toronto shared a border? well imma say thered probably be more deep fried french food available more than just mcdonalds french fries...lol ok a poor attempt at humor, but seriously, in this not likely hypothetical, id hazard a guess toronto would most likely benefit from more rail coverage and connection being in such close proximity to us. can you imagine toronto with an extensive el train network? or one long continuous skyline stretching from evanston down through northern IN with the sears tower, aon, trump and john hancock to the north and then, then CN tower, Scotia building, TD canada trust and First Canadian building to the south in northern IN... kinda like how theres midtown/lower manhattan. no telling how large the combined metro would be. maybe metro chicago suburbs would extend well into dekalb, maybe even boone county. new toronto metro would spread south from northern in encompassing an area from hammond down to merrilville over to south bend....

now i know theres isnt a map that exists to show this hypothetical, but one could imagine this photo could represent that, looking at how far west the "grey" or denser populated area extends. according to nbcchicago weather, the broadcast viewing area covers 25 or so counties... i didnt count all the ones in indiana that brant is blocking... lol Chicronto perhaps?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Default Yes ChiNaan...

Quote:

Quite so...and good questions indeed; I can literally say I laughed out loud at this, thanks for that!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 PM

359 posts, read 549,175 times
Well, my answer is that it would not be possible, no matter what.

The reason? Well, I once asked why there was not already a large skyline stretching along the shore of Lake Michigan, south of the Loop, extending all the way into Hammond and Gary (which is where you are proposing Toronto to be) and the answer I got, was that the soil conditions in Hammond and Gary were too poor (basically too sandy) for high rises or sky scrapers.

So, even if you bulldozed the entire city of Gary and wanted to build a glimmering, new version of the Loop there, with huge Sears/Hancock/CN Tower type of buildings (or even buildings taller than 10 stories), it would not happen, at least not at the Gary/Hammond lakefront. Inland a mile or two? Maybe. But not right at Lake Michigan.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
..and we do need an equivalent of 'Windsor' in between..just for fun

Old 08-29-2012, 08:19 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
You're kidding, right? I am an academic, in the social sciences at that, and even I can only assume a person is joking when they ask that odd of a moot/hypothetical question. I was just playing along. My questions were no more or less ridiculous than yours.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
You're kidding, right? I am an academic, in the social sciences at that, and even I can only assume a person is joking when they ask that odd of a moot/hypothetical question. I was just playing along. My questions were no more or less ridiculous than yours.
You don't sound academic, no matter what based on your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago